Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:01 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,022 times

Advertisements

Actually I lied, two questions.

1. How much (on average) is health care insurrance for a retired 75 year old on the private market?

2. What perentage of the premium cost will Paul Ryan's voucher cover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Heh, heh - that's the million dollar question. It absolutely doesn't compute. He assumes all retired people have a generous pension, substantial savings. Most retired people are just scraping by. His vouchers also decline in value year by year so they will buy less as time goes on.

Group plan premiums now for young single people are over $600 a month. Can you imagine the cost for someone over 70 with three or four ailments - heart trouble, cancer, diabetes - all of which get worse as that person ages. Ryan is a typical Republican plutocrat. People with money come out fine. Everyone else starves and dies.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post

1. How much (on average) is health care insurrance for a retired 75 year old on the private market?

Well considering the race to repeal the Affordable Health Care Act, it will be quite interesting... (I still waiting for the Replace part of that slogan).

But to answer the question, one site has the Texas Health Risk Pool offering 60 year olds health individual coverage for $16,560 with a $1,000 deductible and a max of $4,000 out of pocket expense if you don't go out of network (what was that about the guvment choosing yer doctor). This of course doesn't spell out whether or not there is a yearly or life time cap on coverage, or what the cost would be for someone with pre-existing conditions. Now some will argue that paying $2,560.00 a year for health insurance ain't such a bad deal, and maybe it isn't. I guess we'll see.

Purchasing Health Insurance for Retirees.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Ryan's vouchers might pay half that $21,650 - maybe. Which means retirees have to come up with $10,000 out of pocket. That leaves out about 70% of the people in this country. Ridiculous.

Medicare is right now paying $8,400 a year to the Advantage plans per enrollee. I would like that money for my dental expenses. I don't have any medical expenses. So far this year, UHC Advantage plan has received from Medicare $2800 for me and paid out $96. Such a deal.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:37 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,518 times
Quote:

...that's two questions...

Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:

What private market insurance company is to take a 75 year old? And what 75 year old is going to be able to effectively shop around for insurance and getting signed up without being taken advantage of by scam artists and waste-of-money, low paying policies?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 PM

I had lunch with a 76 year old woman today. Arthritis, osteoporosis, degenerative disk disease, scoliosis. Worked with her ten years ago and couldn't believe the deterioration. She is so bent and crooked. Very slow walker. We were talking about Medicare Advantage plans v. the Supplement plans. She's looked into Supplement because she has a lot of expenses and might be better off. Cost for her would be $232/month. Right now she is paying nothing for the Advantage plan but there are copays and deductibles which can really add up. In her case, she probably would be better off making the switch, because the Supplement plans pay everything. Although Supplement plans do have some preexisting condition exclusions.

Wonder how astronomical her premiums would be in the oh, so wonderful 'competitive' free market under Ryan's plan 'where everyone wants your business.'

Ryan would have to mandate coverage for seniors with chronic conditions and cap premiums. There is no other way. Health insurance should NOT be for-profit. Ever.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What private market insurance company is to take a 75 year old? And what 75 year old is going to be able to effectively shop around for insurance and getting signed up without being taken advantage of by scam artists and waste-of-money, low paying policies?
And that of course is the dirty little secret that Ryan doesn't address. There will not be any private insurance companies willing to actually insure us "old folks." And if you can find one it will not have competition and can and will charge you whatever they like.....which of course you can't pay.

Ryan....and others like him....don't remember...or don't want to remember... the bad old days before medicare when the elderly who had worked hard all their lives ended up dying in a back bedroom of their child's house or in the county hospital's charity ward. And before they died they suffered in pain without the care and medicine that would have given them many more healthy years. There were private insurance companies then so why did that happen? It happened because then, just as now, those insurance companies did not want to insure the elderly and the elderly didn't have the means to provide for the high cost of their medical care.

Now I know that it is considered the "in thing" these days to cynically say; "Well, the elderly aren't producing anymore and if they haven't got the money then that is their tough luck...not my problem." I just hope that all those who subscribe to that view remember it when Ryan's plan goes into effect and THEY are the elderly in the back bedroom.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:58 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:

Follow the money.

Paul Ryan doesn't giive a damn how much of a proposed Medicare voucher actually covers health care cost as long as a PRIVATE INSURANCE GETS THAT VOUCHER.

The entire plan is predicated on fattening the profits of the private insurance industry. They will cherry pick the people they want to cover and set the rates. The poorest and unhealthiest people will be SOL.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The entire plan is predicated on fattening the profits of the private insurance industry. They will cherry pick the people they want to cover and set the rates. The poorest and unhealthiest people will be SOL.
I could see how some of Ryan's plan might, I say might, work under the Affordable Health Care Act (know to the... as Obamacare) but I'll be damned if I can figure out how it would be even in the slightest be possible without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies