Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:04 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In most professions, results and accountability are significant factors in continued employment and compensation level.
Agreed. But those factors are in teaching also. There is accountability. They get annual performance reviews that either boost their reputation and chances of promotion or do the opposite.

Yes. A tenured teacher is hard to fire and that is a result of union protection and that likely has provided protection for some undeserving individuals and that is an unfortunate byproduct of that system. I guess the severity of that issue is measured by the amount of good teachers in a system. If you believe most teachers are slackers and underachievers, just trying to take advantage of the system, then you will likely believe it is a larger problem. But if you believe the vast majority of teachers are qualified, and the slackers are a remote exception, then the problem won't seem so monumental. I happen to believe the latter.

Unlike some others on this thread, I don't believe that measuring a teacher's performance is anywhere near as clear / simple as other professional positions. There are many variables to consider and other non-teaching duties imposed upon the teachers (e. g. standard testing and preparation) that weigh in to the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:10 PM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Agreed. But those factors are in teaching also. There is accountability.
Not with tenure and automatic salary increases completely regardless of how well or poorly one teaches.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:24 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Not with tenure and automatic salary increases completely regardless of how well or poorly one teaches.
I can only speak for South Pasadena CA and Glendale CA which do not give rate increases with certain performance evals as far as I know (I am not an employee of either). Now maybe there is great leeway in the eval process. That I don't know also.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:44 PM

59,078 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
You sir..or madame are combative and extremely rude by questioning my comprehension. It is uncalled for and quite unproductive. For that lack of tact that you posess, I will not continue to respond to you beyond this post.

Your blanket statements and generalizations are bound to provoke some use of definitive words (most or all) since you say things like "Again, all I am saying is that getting a masters is NOT a reason to get a raise", "They should be evaluated by how good or bad they do" and "a teach is there to teach. Nothing more, nothing less." Reading these overly simplified POVs, without anything concrete to support them, leads me to believe you have not taught or are not close to anyone who is a serious educator so you are essentially talking out of your backside. It is one thing to be ignorant of something. We are all guilty of that by nature. It is another thing to spout off about things we know little about. That is just plain stupid.

Good day and good riddance!
Typical, I challenge you on your saying things I didn't and you don't like being caught.

I was talking about teacher performance and you go on and on about "other thing".

It is not my fault you can't stay on message.

I have come to believe you are either a teacher, or are very close to one.

You are used to being in control of young minds and can't take anyone not agreeing with you.

Sorry if you are offended. That is not purpose. You never really addressed my position. It is very simple. People should get raises based on performance.

Have a good day.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Looks like ol' Scotty doesn't have much longer in office, the people standing for liberty are still fired up

Protesters out in force at Devil

The boats at the beginning are great, also when he gets punked at 2:35 "You ought to be ashamed of yourself"

YouTube - ‪A Day At Devil's Lake With Scott Walker 6-25-11‬‏

the protesters were not there for liberty. if they were, they would have been cheering walker and not jeering.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Yep. And guess who there are more of?

Prosser victory ring a bell, anyone? The unions went all out on trying to unseat Prosser, and couldn't do it.

No more taxing the WI middle class out of their homes!
Turns out Prosser is just another one of Walker's thugs!

Quote:
Wis. Justice Ann Walsh Bradley: Justice Prosser 'Put His Hands Around My Neck In Anger In A Chokehold'
Quote:
"The facts are that I was demanding that he get out of my office and he put his hands around my neck in anger in a chokehold," Bradley told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Quote:
Back in March, the state of civility on the court became an issue in Prosser re-election, when it was reported that in 2010 he had called another one of the court's liberals, Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson, a "total *****" and threatened to "destroy" her.
Wis. Justice Ann Walsh Bradley: Justice Prosser 'Put His Hands Around My Neck In Anger In A Chokehold' | TPMMuckraker

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Turns out Prosser is just another one of Walker's thugs!
Not quite. Two different WI Supreme Court sources dispute Bradley's claims.
Quote:
But another source told the Journal Sentinel that Bradley attacked Prosser. “She charged him with fists raised,” the source said. Prosser “put his hands in a defensive posture,” the source said. “He blocked her.” In doing so, the source said, he made contact with Bradley’s neck.
Another source said the justices were arguing… [and] Prosser said he”d lost all confidence in [Abrahamson's] leadership. Bradley then came across the room “with fists up,” the source said. Prosser put up his hands to push her back. Bradley then said she had been choked, according to the source. Another justice – the source wouldn’t say who – responded, “You were not choked.”
Justices

Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Not quite. Two different WI Supreme Court sources dispute Bradley's claims.
Justices

However...........

Quote:
But another source who spoke to several justices who witnessed the incident said Prosser put his hands around Bradley’s neck, though he didn’t exert any pressure.
Wis. Justice Says Her Colleague Grabbed Her Neck During In-Chambers Dispute - News - ABA Journal

Quote:
In a prior incident, Prosser admits he called the chief justice a “*****” during a heated debate.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
walker lost his majority after the union fiasco.

his favorables have continued to deteriorate.

whats alarming for him is he is losing the rural vote.

if the gop loses during recalls, which they will lose some seats for sure, the blame will lay squarely at walkers feet.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
However...........
4 other judges saw what happened. The truth will come out. According to the Milwaukee newspaper, one judge explicitly told Bradley, "You were not choked."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies