Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The legalization of same-sex marriage is:
Bad for society 14 20.90%
Good for society 24 35.82%
It won't have much effect one way or the other 29 43.28%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Enough bickering.

Robertson has been functionally irrational for a long time. Everyone with an ounce of sense knows this.

But in this context, at least, he is correct in observing that America and western civilization in general are being altered profoundly by this latest round of social and cultural transformations. Another way to say ths is that the America and western civilization with which Mr. Robertson is comfortable is indeed being "destroyed"...and replaced with a radically altered versions of the respective institutions. Whether one feels that this is a good thing depends on one's point of view.

Mr. Robertson has plenty to answer for in his curious admixture of religion, fearmongering, and hucksterism. But in this case, at least, he is expressing (though more crudely than anyone in his position should) views shared by many honestly concerned Americans who do not hate anyone, but who fear for the future of their families and their country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I think Robertson means corrupt boards of directors are the downfall ... gays boning each other in civil matrimony probably won't phase a single person it won't even hurt a fly ... .

Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,033 times
It is just bad for society in so many ways. Traditional marriage is between a man and a woman. Gay marriage is disturbing in a way.How is a gay marriage set up? Two men in wedding dresses or two women in tuxedos? Which one is the groom? Which partner is the bride?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Okay, okay, okay. But you know, I'm not a Christian, and I am constantly being called a religious nut by people who disagree with my views. Generalizations about straight people are no less ignorant and hateful than generalizations about gays.

This Forum used to have a variety of topics. It has devolved into a daily onslaught of hatred toward and baiting of heterosexuals. And pointing out ignorant generalizations directed at Christians is hardly anti-gay -- or rhetorical, for that matter, except that it has been written in grammatical English.

Well said.
You might be not be a Christian...but you are sure an effective spokesman for a balanced understanding of Right and wrong. The 'hatred' that flows from the so-called 'gay' advocates on this forum is un-matched.

You sure brought something positive on this otherwise useless thread. - Congratulations

Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 PM

I think the gay couples show up in jeans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
It is just bad for society in so many ways. Traditional marriage is between a man and a woman. Gay marriage is disturbing in a way.How is a gay marriage set up? Two men in wedding dresses or two women in tuxedos? Which one is the groom? Which partner is the bride?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:36 PM

Appealing to ridicule isn't logical.

What I've seen a lot on here is astroturfing. What comes across as "mean gay people lashing out" is really the fact that they feel oppressed and you don't nor do you care. So that's something to evaluate carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Well said.
You might be not be a Christian...but you are sure an effective spokesman for a balanced understanding of Right and wrong. The 'hatred' that flows from the so-called 'gay' advocates on this forum is un-matched.

You sure brought something positive on this otherwise useless thread. - Congratulations

Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
OMG.........why do you "think"(I use the term loosely) such twisted scenarios........

You have NO clue do you??????

It's either two guys or 2 gals....there is no "traditional" groom or bride.......OY VEY.....takes all kinds I guess!

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-14-2011 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Thanks for this, I was just wondering to myself what Pat Robertson would say.....

Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Watch: Pat Robertson thinks gay marriage means the end of civilization | Nerve.com

Should we consider people like this to be irrational, insane, or are they making a good argument that I'm just not understanding?

I agree with Pat.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I agree with Pat.
I agree also.

Maybe Pat is a modern day 'Noah' ...who 5000 or so years ago....Warned everyone that God was sending a flood to cover the entire earth...and if they didn't come on board an Ark (big ship) that God told him to build.....they would not survive. - Only 8 came on board.

Now, again....millions seem to not want to come on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies