Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Everyone should pay tax. Everyone. But a progressive tax is necessary too I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
You have a way of ignoring fact in your post that is quite stunning. It is because of tax credits, not low income. Some earn nearly $50,000 a year. If they can't afford taxes, stop smoking, drinking and all the other wastes of money so commonly found in such proliferation among the lower classes.

Your poverty is not, and will not be allowed to become, a monkey on my back. Pay your own way or get the hell out of the US and into some craphole of a backwater that more-suites you.
And the majority who aren't?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:35 AM

1,019 posts, read 590,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
And the majority who aren't?
Aren't what?????

Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Aren't what?????
Making 50,000 a year. The ones who can't afford to pay taxes because they need to afford such extravagant luxuries such as food, shelter, and clothing.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 AM

250 posts, read 379,539 times
Why should someone who makes more be taxed more? What reasoning is there? I have more so I should give more? No. You want more then you work to get more just like the rest of us. The man who wants to get ahead but doesn't isn't trying hard enough.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
Why should someone who makes more be taxed more? What reasoning is there? I have more so I should give more? No. You want more then you work to get more just like the rest of us. The man who wants to get ahead but doesn't isn't trying hard enough.
You falsely assume people are where they are because of their own merits. And read the thread. Costs don't scale, you can't expect someone who makes very little to pay the same percentage as someone who makes much more. If you make more, you pay more, simply because you can afford to do so, and as a successful citizen, it is your responsibility to the public.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 AM

1,019 posts, read 590,251 times
Quote:
Making 50,000 a year. The ones who can't afford to pay taxes because they need to afford such extravagant luxuries such as food, shelter, and clothing.
They have to pay their taxes, just like everyone. Enough of this BS that because you have failed to strive to succeed, you are or should be exempt for shouldering your fair share.

Enought of the BS. Pay up or leave.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
They have to pay their taxes, just like everyone. Enough of this BS that because you have failed to strive to succeed, you are or should be exempt for shouldering your fair share.

Enought of the BS. Pay up or leave.
Again, an incredible failure on your part to see that people don't always end where they are because of their own successes or failures. Chance can play an incredible role, not to mention factors well out of the control of the working man.

Someone making very little should not be expected to shoulder the burden of society. You can't place the expenses of a great nation on the backs of the majority of the people, as the majority of the people (80% here) control less than 20% of the wealth of the country. Should they be taxed? Sure, but you must tax those making much more, much more.

The bottom twenty percent, those controlling less than a single percentage of our entire wealth, should have no expectation of taxation.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
You falsely assume people are where they are because of their own merits. And read the thread. Costs don't scale, you can't expect someone who makes very little to pay the same percentage as someone who makes much more. If you make more, you pay more, simply because you can afford to do so, and as a successful citizen, it is your responsibility to the public.
I did read the thread and I reject the notion that a person should be taxed higher simply because they make more. I do believe that every living person is where they are because of their own merits. Outside influences can effect us, but we are ultimately responsible for who we are and what we do. I believe every capable human being has the capacity to be a President Obama, a Bill Gates, or any other successful figure. I don't believe anyone should be punished for being successful.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
The bottom twenty percent, those controlling less than a single percentage of our entire wealth, should have no expectation of taxation.
Yes they should if they want to benefit from government programs or other benefits of American society. No one should get a free ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies