Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Wish I could but I dont fall into the upper 5%
Yet, you want others to send money by force???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
Theres no difference between a guy who works off the books than collects every hand out he can get and a guy who makes buku millions and stashes it offshore or pays for favorable tax legislation
Working off the books is illegal while taking advantage of tax loopholes is legal.

Quote:
When I hear right-wing types speak as in "survival of the fittest", thats not reality.
For the centuries before welfare, how did civilization not completely collapse?

Quote:
It shouldn't be about punishing anyone
It's not. It's about everyone having a monetary stake in this government. When you take more than you put in, you will always vote for the person that promises you more.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:07 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,406,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Ever notice certain posters can't explain their concepts, so the best they can do is post a link to a website?

I've been to the "Fair" Tax web site.
  • It uses a sleight of hand to hide the fact that it's actually a 30%+ sales tax on new goods and all services.
  • It doesn't tax any expenses incurred by corporations, making all corporate perks (food, housing, cars, vacation, health insurance, club memberships, etc) un-taxed.
  • It shifts the tax burden from the top 5% of income earners to the middle 60%.
  • It actually grows entitlements - back in 2005 it would be bigger than Social Security.
  • It's supporting economists baked the numbers to make them appear revenue neutral. Neutral economists expect that a rate of at least 35% and possibly 40% would be required for the Fair Tax to be revenue neutral.
  • It adds a new layer of unfunded mandates on the state governments as they would be the ones responsible for collecting the Fair Tax from all vendors of goods and services.
  • And it's all a smoke screen for repealing the 16th Amendment.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 PM

455 posts, read 632,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Working off the books is illegal while taking advantage of tax loopholes is legal.

For the centuries before welfare, how did civilization not completely collapse?

It's not. It's about everyone having a monetary stake in this government. When you take more than you put in, you will always vote for the person that promises you more.
Tax loop-holes are bought and paid for, you're missing the point !

To suggest our financial system should be based on evolutionary biological principles is nuts, see Enron for details, we earned our intelligence, lets use it.

If you want more productive people, teach them a skill, thats what we used to do, and it worked.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Theoretical situation:

At Acme Manufacturing the Shop Floor Supervisor is going to be retiring soon. There are 47 people working under him. The company will promote from within because they have a number of well qualified employees to fill the position. So lets say that number is 6. All 6 are considered and their abilities are about comparable but the company only needs one Supervisor and one of them gets the position.

Must the other 5 quit and find some other supervisory position if they want to get ahead?
The other five should absolutely have to quit if they want to get ahead. How is this even a serious question?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If you make 1million, you pay $100,000 in taxes.

If you make $100,000, you pay $10,000 in taxes.

If you make $10,000, you pay $1,000 in taxes.

Just wanted to make sure progressives know I'm right there with them
Most libs would disagree, obviously. It's convenient to pick on the minority.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,865,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Ever notice certain posters can't explain their concepts, so the best they can do is post a link to a website?

• It uses a sleight of hand to hide the fact that it's actually a 30%+ sales tax on new goods and all services.
  • It doesn't tax any expenses incurred by corporations, making all corporate perks (food, housing, cars, vacation, health insurance, club memberships, etc) un-taxed.
  • It actually grows entitlements - back in 2005 it would be bigger than Social Security.
  • It's supporting economists baked the numbers to make them appear revenue neutral. Neutral economists expect that a rate of at least 35% and possibly 40% would be required for the Fair Tax to be revenue neutral.
  • It adds a new layer of unfunded mandates on the state governments as they would be the ones responsible for collecting the Fair Tax from all vendors of goods and services.
Cite please...you can post a link if you actually have one...

Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

• It's called an "inclusive tax", I believe. No sleight of hand--you just pay the tax up front.
    Quote:
  • Where do those corporations get the food, cars, housing, etc? They buy them....and pay tax on them.
    Quote:
  • The rich people spend money, right? You get taxed on what you buy. Isn't that fair? Warren Buffet covers his income in corporate tax breaks. With the "Fair Tax" he would pay for what he buys.
    Quote:
  • How so?
    Quote:
  • OK?
    Quote:
  • And IRS agents are free?
    Quote:
Is that a problem?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If you make 1million, you pay $100,000 in taxes.

If you make $100,000, you pay $10,000 in taxes.

If you make $10,000, you pay $1,000 in taxes.

Just wanted to make sure progressives know I'm right there with them
I don't think so. We progressives think this way:

If you make $1 Million, you pay $900,000

If you make $100,000, you pay $60,000

If you make $10,000, you need to sign up for government free money that would give you a guaranteed annual income of $40,000.

If you make no money, you need to sign up for government free money that would give you a guaranteed annual income of $40,000.

FUBO

Old 07-19-2011, 02:14 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,406,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Cite please...you can post a link if you actually have one...
So, you post a quickie page but demand full documentation from me?

How special of you!

Seriously, if I post the proof of my claims (and I have posted them on this forum before) will it actually have any chance of changing your view on the Fair Tax?

Because you've put no real work into this discussion, but you're asking me to spend an hour tracking down the links. I'd hate to waste the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies