Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,065,834 times

Advertisements

There's often a lot of talk about gay men experiencing discrimination and hate crimes. What about lesbians?

How often do you hear about these people experiencing lesbophobia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 03:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,797,962 times
Not only would I never discriminate against lesbians, I think that lifestyle should be promoted. On video if need be.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:42 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,306,709 times
You see it, but it's not really that blatant. Most guys who have issues with gays will be more prone to jump on another guy for being gay as opposed to a girl.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:49 PM

396 posts, read 906,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Not only would I never discriminate against lesbians, I think that lifestyle should be promoted. On video if need be.
This right here is discrimination. Treating them like sex objects.

Lesbians face discrimination in a lot of ways. They face the normal sexism a lot of women face from a patriarchal society.

They also face discrimination in how they appear. If they appear Butch they are treated different from say a femme Lesbian.

They can't marry who they love.

I think, with a lot of Lesbians, people will treat it as just a phase for girls. And think they'll eventually grow out of it. At least the feminine ones. The butchies face tons of discrimination for not acting like a proper lady.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM

711 posts, read 1,513,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
This right here is discrimination. Treating them like sex objects.

Lesbians face discrimination in a lot of ways. They face the normal sexism a lot of women face from a patriarchal society.

They also face discrimination in how they appear. If they appear Butch they are treated different from say a femme Lesbian.

They can't marry who they love.

I think, with a lot of Lesbians, people will treat it as just a phase for girls. And think they'll eventually grow out of it. At least the feminine ones. The butchies face tons of discrimination for not acting like a proper lady.
the ideal word here when referring to "butch" is acting. Its an act.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 PM

396 posts, read 906,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
the ideal word here when referring to "butch" is acting. Its an act.
Yes, all women are naturally submissive and feminine. Wanting to be conquered by a strong masculine man.

It's the year 2011. We should be beyond your thinking by now. Of course you just showed how Butch Lesbians are discriminated against. So thank you for that I guess?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,556,655 times
I'm sure they do face discrimination. It's tough enough to compete just as a woman. Being an alternative style can be a challenge.

I'm not sure about hate crimes, though. Most women whom I imagine are gay could kick *ss.... Not people to be messed with.

And in the workplace, they are a protected "class" so that's.... helpful for them, unless they work with a majority of gays....

When I complained about being harrassed & treated differently for being an older non-Christian female, I was asked about how it could be true when there were other women in my workplace fitting that description whom the district manager didn't think were discriminated against. It was on my shoulders to prove that they were. But my boss was clever enough to only pick heavily on one of us at a time. When I left, one of them was reasonably worried that she would take my place in the lower pecking order.

But that boss was transferred to a safer position within the company to protect their collective *sses after I left (after I filed numerous complaints & after she tried 3x to get me fired).

Now if I"d been gay on top of it, I'd've had a firm case. Luckily I left in time to get a new, wonderful job, before I fell apart from the stress.

In my current company, growth is encouraged straight across the board: I don't see any discrimination. The only people I see react to gay women are the young guys who seem a bit afraid of them - they keep it subtle & on the DL - they're nice kids (the guys are also super right wing religious - no secrets about that in Oregon. )

Lesbophobia: the young guys. The older guys seem to just play it cool. The women are indifferent. And do I hear about the gay women experiencing lesbophobia: I don't ask. I don't know them well enough to get them to gripe to me about such things. We'd probably laugh about it. It's pretty chill in Oregon, is my impression.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 PM

45,256 posts, read 26,510,497 times
We need more laws and special protections for those who keep trying to procreate with the same sex.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,310,115 times
I know some 'butch' girls. They aren't acting, they are scary.

Think 'Conan' with a bra.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,404,184 times
I would assume it would be just as bad as with 2 dudes. Sure, lesbians making out is hot on TV but not many of em look like Portia DeRossi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies