Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

To those who can't fathom working one's way through school... there's a REASON the college graduation rate statistic measures those who graduate in 6 years, not 4.

It's because many people work their way through school and take longer than 4 years to graduate.

Actually working for what you get/have. Foreign concept to liberals, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 05:52 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If the government defaults, many students would have to leave school because the government would stop giving loans and grants. Do Republicans care?
the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few!!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
But working is hard

Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Amazing! Did you finish in four years! What year did you graduate?
i graduated in 1979, but i continued my education in other areas until 1984, though that was part time after i graduated.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Stafford Loans? My daughter got them to supplement the full price tuition we paid for her to attend a State school. We told her it's all she/we could afford and that was that.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
except that for me i bought my own cars, paid for the insurance, fuel, parts and supplies and did most of my own work. i also paid rent, and never had a scholarship of any kind, and my employers never paid a dimes towards my education.
You forgot the part about walking 5 miles in the snow. Uphill. Both ways.

Honesly, you post is completely meaningless UNLESS you follow up with details, details of what you actually had going for you instead of what you didn't have going for you. And I'm not talking about moxie and work ethic. There is always more to the story than people like to tell when they chastise others.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
If the government defaults, many students would have to leave school because the government would stop giving loans and grants. Do Republicans care?
There are many ways to afford college education without having someone else pay for it. Work, loans, go to a community college. I found a way, as did most of my friends.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,450 times
Quote:
Do you know that a fairly high percentage of students who go to college on government money either fail their course of study or never graduate? Probably half of them don't belong in college and they got their high school diplomas just for showing up to school everyday. I am for government grants and loans for truly deserving students but more should be required such as a decent SAT/ACT score to qualify for any money.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
When I went to college in 1981, it was $500 for the semester and my dorm and meal plan was about that much also. Unlimited classes if I wanted. I could have easily worked and paid for it.

I ended up marrying an E-3 in the Air Force. We got sent to a VERY small town in no-man's land and I could not get a job. I applied to go back to school. Their university there was a bit higher than what I had paid at home but because we were so poor as an E-3 and unemployed spouse, I actually got a Pell grant. I couldn't believe it. So I did use it.

My daughter is now in school. An in-state school with room and board is running about $9,000 per semester. She goes to school in a small town and she is only able to get part time work at the school library or dining hall. It, in no way, even comes close to paying for it. When she was attending community college, it ran me $1300 for the semester and she lived at home. In that circumstance, and the fact that we live in an area that has a robust economy, she could pay for community college.

So, in some cases I think poor kids who live in bustling areas can wait tables and make enough to cover community college. A 4 year university--nope.
Everyone seems very concerned with inflation in healthcare but not so much in education. The causes are the same. In both cases, there is usually a third party paying. When you pay yourself you demand bang for your buck, when someone else pays, not so much.

Is a college education really worth $50k a year. Economists say probably not.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 PM

760 posts, read 685,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Do you know that a fairly high percentage of students who go to college on government money either fail their course of study or never graduate? Probably half of them don't belong in college and they got their high school diplomas just for showing up to school everyday. I am for government grants and loans for truly deserving students but more should be required such as a decent SAT/ACT score to qualify for any money.
Where did you get this information? Please post a link. I'm not calling you a liar, but it sounds like BS stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies