Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times

Advertisements

I loved the whole mess created by the debt limit debate. It was a perfect example of a democracy in action. There was finger-pointing, name-calling, and ridiculous claims made by both sides.

But the idea that America has somehow debased itself in the eyes of the world is nonsense. Growing up I lived in several countries where political opposition was either nonexistent or barely tolerated and there was no free media. This whole process was a perfect example of a large, mature democracy working it's way through a problem.

For weeks Americans were exposed to the arguments on all sides of the issue, no one party had a monopoly on the truth. And people need to understand that our entitlement state is drastically underfunded and at the moment the US no longer fully controls its own financial destiny...how long will others be willing to lend us money?

It wasn't fun, but IMO it was a discussion the country had been putting off, but it needed to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
i agree with you.

did the Republicans act recklessly? Yes. Did this event highlight that many of them live in an alternate universe in terms of economics? Yes.

However, they had an effective political strategy in forcing the Democrats out of their complacency when it comes to dealing with our problems.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Not to mention the $1.7 billion it cost U.S. taxpayers as a result of higher interest rates.

1.7 Billion: The Cost of The Debt Ceiling Debate | StatSpotting!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,554 times
OP: I understand your intent but, to me, there was not much "debate" since one small section was standing with the fuse lit and ready to blow everything up. It was fiscal and constitutional terrorism by a small group of t-loons. It is amazing how poor a "negotiator" Obama is.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
OP: I understand your intent but, to me, there was not much "debate" since one small section was standing with the fuse lit and ready to blow everything up. It was fiscal and constitutional terrorism by a small group of t-loons. It is amazing how poor a "negotiator" Obama is.
The only problem with this reasoning is Obama and Congress had the opportunity to settle this months ago. But Obama's m.o. is brinkmanship. He likes to wait till the last minute, tries to panic the public and the markets with sonorous declarations of a crisis and then demands Congress follow his will.

But this is a democracy, as much as he wants to be, he's not a dictator. 2010 didn't happen in a vacuum. People put the Tea Party into office for just this sort of thing.

Obviously neither you nor Joe Biden know what terrorism really is (which says something scary about liberals, but that's another thread). This was a wonderful example of fiscal and constitutional responsibility.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not to mention the $1.7 billion it cost U.S. taxpayers as a result of higher interest rates.

1.7 Billion: The Cost of The Debt Ceiling Debate | StatSpotting!
Higher interest rates will be inevitable. You really think other countries will want to keep lending us money when we keep devaluing the dollar?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Higher interest rates will be inevitable. You really think other countries will want to keep lending us money when we keep devaluing the dollar?
it never stopped them from borrowing before, i don't see why it would be an obstacle now. what large economy doesn't devalue its currency?

and yes, we will have higher interest rates in the long run, but in the long run we are all dead. The only way I can see rates rising, is if American wages rise.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The only problem with this reasoning is Obama and Congress had the opportunity to settle this months ago. But Obama's m.o. is brinkmanship. He likes to wait till the last minute, tries to panic the public and the markets with sonorous declarations of a crisis and then demands Congress follow his will.

But this is a democracy, as much as he wants to be, he's not a dictator. 2010 didn't happen in a vacuum. People put the Tea Party into office for just this sort of thing.

Obviously neither you nor Joe Biden know what terrorism really is (which says something scary about liberals, but that's another thread). This was a wonderful example of fiscal and constitutional responsibility.
T-baggers budged on almsot nothing. Some "debate" and compromise. They were holding the country hostage - it is nothing but terrorism. You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. Wanna bet if W was in charge, none of this would have happened? Count Cheney said "deficits dont matter" and we raised the ceiling 7 times under W - what changed suddenly (rhetorical question - dont bother to answer)?

ETA: I had voted for W the first term, and consider myself to be an independent, but the way Rs are going, I am done with the Rs till they restore some sanity to the party. Not that Ds are all that great either - but they are lesser of the 2 evils now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies