Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times

Advertisements

We have too many career politicians!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Term limits only insure that inexperienced idiots get elected constantly.

I used to support term limits. Then I witnessed their effects first hand. Having seen how legislatures work up close, I now know that term limits are a terrible idea.

Give me a corrupt but capable career politician any day over a naive and destructive freshman ideologue - regardless of party affiliation.

Experience and the relationships that politicians develop with each other are extremely important to effective government.

If you want to see a real cluster****, look at the Florida Legislature this last year - or our current House of Representatives. Full of enthusiastic, ignorant, unrealistic noobs - and the results prove my point.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:38 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
The Founding Fathers couldn't predict the career politician phenomenon.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
They aren't necessary. Citizens have the right to vote out any legislators they don't like.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:53 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
There are term limits, it's called an election.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
There are term limits, it's called an election.
Exactly. And the system works very well.

I agree w/ Strel - having worked w/ legislators close up, I can assure you - someone needs to know procedure and "how the system works" or nothing would ever get done in Congress.

For ex., how many of you could show up as a newly elected Freshman and know how to create and submit a piece of new legislation? And how many of you are competent with Robert's Rules? Those are just two small aspects of the process.

Voters create term limitations for their Congressmen. A Ted Kennedy or Strom Thurmond or Robert Byrd can only exist if their constituents have decided to keep sending 'em back to The Hill.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
There are term limits, they are called elections, don;t like your Rep vote them out. Let's not be lazy folks do your job and you will get better Reps, Step number 1, Never vote straight ticket.
Casper

Old 08-03-2011, 03:27 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Your Republican memo is 20 years too old. Republicans used to support term limits when they couldn't get control of Congress for 40 years, remember? Now that the Congress is more in the play, term limits are out.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:47 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Almost very career politician in Congress manages to build up an effective political machine back in his home state that assure his reelection until he retires.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Exactly. And the system works very well.

I agree w/ Strel - having worked w/ legislators close up, I can assure you - someone needs to know procedure and "how the system works" or nothing would ever get done in Congress.

For ex., how many of you could show up as a newly elected Freshman and know how to create and submit a piece of new legislation? And how many of you are competent with Robert's Rules? Those are just two small aspects of the process.

Voters create term limitations for their Congressmen. A Ted Kennedy or Strom Thurmond or Robert Byrd can only exist if their constituents have decided to keep sending 'em back to The Hill.
Ani, who was in charge of this last bit of unconstitutional legislation? It seems to me that it was the old heads who failed to do it properly, but then maybe they forgot how it was to be done. The whole damned law was drawn up, passed and signed in an unconstitutional manner. I would discuss it at length here but don't have time to explain why I say that.

We do not have term limits for two reasons. The Framers didn't envision professional politicians and the Constitution says that the Congress is the only group that can change those limits that we need so badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies