Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Talk about something people have been saying for years! And even getting to normal inflation is a struggle, let alone "hyperinflation". The fact is that as long as our economy is so far under capacity, additions to the monetary supply won't lead to "hyperinflation".

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that greater short term harm would lead to more long term benefit, and it isn't working in any of the countries that have actually tried to follow this theory.

The basic problem is that many economic resources, when not used, are simply wasted. That includes willing labor. So the more years we spend wasting economic resources like willing labor, the worse off we are going to be in the long run.
Wow, we mostly agree! Glad you said, "willing labor". Lots of potential labor won't work no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
They obviously don't or there wouldn't be countless $10 an hour jobs.
There are always millions of job openings in the United States each month, even as there are also millions of people being hired each month. That is because each month there are millions of new job openings arising as people are fired or quit, or businesses expand, or new businesses are started, and so on. The job market in that sense is in a constant state of turnover, but the NET effect can vary considerably over time:

http://cr4re.com/charts/chart-images/JOLTSMay2011.jpg (broken link)

It is true that at any given time, some unemployed people are in the process of searching for a suitable job. The amount of unemployment attributable to that factor, what is sometimes called "frictional unemployment", is going to be around 5% or so in the United States.

The other 5% or so of unemployed people in the United States today are not in that category, but rather cannot actually find any employment (and this isn't even counting the millions more people who have become so discouraged they have dropped out of the labor force entirely). It would literally be impossible for all of them to choose to take a job, because enough job openings simply don't exist for all of them. And in fact most of the millions of hires each month are going to people who were not unemployed for very long, and the longer you are unemployed, the harder it gets to become hired.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Right now there are about 4.7 job seekers for every job opening:

Job seekers ratio continues 29-month rut

The notion that everyone without a job is choosing to be that way is really quite ridiculous.
I heard an OHR story here in Atlanta. There was one job opening at Georgia Tech that received 5,000 applications of which 3,000 were qualified.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I heard an OHR story here in Atlanta. There was one job opening at Georgia Tech that received 5,000 applications of which 3,000 were qualified.
That being the case, they should lower the pay scale and hire more people. High demand should equal lower pay and more people employed.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
That being the case, they should lower the pay scale and hire more people. High demand should equal lower pay and more people employed.
That's possibly the case.

Wages fall in sagging jobs market - Jul. 8, 2011

Employers can offer less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
"There's no bargaining power in this economy," said Frank Levy, an economics professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Maybe that's why a lot of companies are making big profits?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:39 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,663,284 times
U.S. police are armed, London cops are not. Makes a big difference. That said, L.A. riots still take the cake, we'll see if London turns out worse.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
U.S. police are armed, London cops are not. Makes a big difference. That said, L.A. riots still take the cake, we'll see if London turns out worse.
I thought police are armed now in Britain and have been for some time.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
AFAIK, yeah. The whole thing about unarmed police in Britain has pretty much fallen away, at least over the last maybe decade or so.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
There's a separate division of armed police.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
I've never understood riots as a way to protest economic conditions. All that happens is the economic conditions in your neighborhood become worse.

I can understand riots when they result in a certain objective--overturning a political system, or drawing attention to a specific injustice that can be changed (police brutality, for example).

Just my two cents, but if the issue is the economy, I don't think the people of Pittsburgh (or any other city) will be rioting. Unless it's outside the offices of S&P, which I could see happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies