Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:58 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

Public plan, mandates among Obama’s latest vision for health reform

Among the details of the president’s plan were making it illegal for any private insurer to exclude a person based on a pre-existing condition or drop a policyholder or “water it down” the moment someone gets sick and needs insurance the most.

Public plan, mandates among Obama’s latest vision for health reform | IFAwebnews.com

Doesn't this benefit you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,841 times
I know it may be heard for a 9/11 Truther to comprehend but a lot of conservatives, including myself, do not believe what Obama says. We believe that he is basically a snake-oil salesman.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
I'll give praise where praise is due, and this was praiseworthy.

But when private health insurance premiums go up and people flock to the government option, thus putting additional demand on the system, don't come back crying to us because your taxes went up to pay for this praiseworthy event.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM

340 posts, read 704,621 times
I don't think Obama is a snake oil salesman --- I think he is good, very intelligent and if he sticks to what he says - team of rivals, stop bikering, bi-partisanship then he will be great for the country --- I don't trust the people that are on the FAR left that surround him and that are leading the house and senate...and people like sickofnyc

Old 09-11-2009, 11:12 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
I know it may be heard for a 9/11 Truther to comprehend but a lot of conservatives, including myself, do not believe what Obama says. We believe that he is basically a snake-oil salesman.

As I'm not a snake oil salesman, or a 9/11 truther, or a birther, I'll say I hope that they praise what he said at the beginning of the healthcare speech.

A lot of what he said is needed reform, I know the public option is contreversial, but the rest of it is pretty good.

I keep asking Repbulicans to quit fighting so hard against any reform, and back the good in the bill. Then you can work on the hard questions later. People getting dropped from health insurance the day they get sick, when they've been paying in for years is just wrong, and EVERYONE knows it.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
I've said all along that the insurers should not be allowed to cherry pick.

I've also said I have a close family member that has had diabetes from childhood. Not at any time in his career has he been denied coverage, had to wait to be covered or been denied treatment of any kind. Ever. This is a career that spans over 20 years.

With every change of employer, he was put right on their coverage, never any problem.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
He can say whatever he wants but he needs aplan himslef. therwsie their is only the senate and houses so called plans. Obama is always sayting this and that but no plan. Now long have we been waiting to see that hopusing plan;since january when the administrtion said it would be coming;feb -coming;march-coming;april-;amy-coming;june-coming-july-coming-august -coming;results-nada.I'm gonna never got anything done.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:46 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I've said all along that the insurers should not be allowed to cherry pick.

I've also said I have a close family member that has had diabetes from childhood. Not at any time in his career has he been denied coverage, had to wait to be covered or been denied treatment of any kind. Ever. This is a career that spans over 20 years.

With every change of employer, he was put right on their coverage, never any problem.
If his diabetes results in kidney/heart or peripheral artery disease, and the claims start pouring in, will they pay or drop him? He has to go to sleep every night in fear that the latter will become his reality. Happens to people every day. Just because he's insured doesn't mean he's covered.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
If his diabetes results in kidney/heart or peripheral artery disease, and the claims start pouring in, will they pay or drop him? He has to go to sleep every night in fear that the latter will become his reality. Happens to people every day. Just because he's insured doesn't mean he's covered.
He has diabetic retinopathy (eyes) - he is constantly pestered to see his doctor to get laser treatment, which has helped.

He has diabetic nephropathy (kidney) - he is encouraged to get all the testing treatment and advise necessary.

You're making a general statement about insurers, like that is the norm, once you get sick, they drop you. Nothing could be further from the truth - how do you explain the millions who are afflicted with such diseases and are treated and cured - every day?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
The fact is, our companies, those of us who are lucky to still be working, can drop our insurance or change it at any time.

People do not change jobs because they don't want to lose their medical insurance. People do not start new businesses because of this huge expense.

It is draining the economy.

I am for single payer - I admit that. I cannot see how a U.S. business can compete with those overseas when the overseas businesses do not pay for employee medical insurance and our businesses must.

No wonder we are losing so many jobs, so many US businesses are going overseas to hire employees. Healthcare is a horrendous drain on US companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies