Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Libya in no way shape or form attacked OR threatened the USA.
I see why you have ignored everything we have said. You have to stick to your talking points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
BTW it was the GOP pressuring Obama to do something about Lybia.
So then the credit for 'victory in Libya' belongs to the GOP?
Why is Obama so weak willed he gets forced into attacking(unprovoked) another nation?

Quote:
Now that he has done something they are changing their position and asking what are we doing over there NATO isn't attacking Lybia its assisting the rebels to change leadership there.
By bombing Libyan forces,that is a war...

Quote:
There rebels are doing most of the work for us. Totally different scenario from Iraq and Afghanistan.
Were you alive when the Taliban was overthrown in Afghanistan?
The NA did almost ALL of the fighting there too.And in Northern Iraq the Kurds did the groundwork mostly.

Quote:
I think we are doing a pretty good job if all we spent was a billion dollars considering how long this conflict has been going on.
Isn't that money better spent HERE helping OUR people?
What business is it of ours what happens in Libya?

Quote:
We were spending more than that in a day's time in Iraq.
Cite please.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Libya attacked the US when they bombed Pam AM Flight 103 and killed 100s of Americans.
Libya handed over those responsible.

Quote:
And now Obama is able to topple Gaddafi without actually invading Libya.
Ends justify the means....

Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I see why you have ignored everything we have said. You have to stick to your talking points
It could be because you know very little on the topic.

You have yet to adequately state why Libya should be attacked(and not a dozen other nations).

Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Yes it did.
Elaborate.

Quote:
Never read the Iraq resolution I see.
It is never too late. Author and content please.

Quote:
Irrelevant.
Not when we're talking about support and opposition.

Quote:
It seems you are ignorant of the Iraq resolution that authorised force,so it makes me doubtful of your knowledge regarding Libya as well.
When I considered a war with Iraq well before it actually happened (or became the political talk), was the resolution in place? And speaking of resolutions, since you like to be "educated" as opposed to being ignorant, have you read the resolution on Libya issue? If you did, and think Iraq war was warranted but Libyan support wasn't, why do you think so?

Quote:
Libya in no way shape or form attacked OR threatened the USA.
Correct. And the USA didn't invade it either. The people of Libya did and asked UN/NATO for help. The USA engaged only within the capacity of a NATO member (as others did in joining the USA in its venture into Afghanistan and Iraq).

Old 08-24-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Elaborate.
Read your own nation's recent history.

Quote:
It is never too late. Author and content please.
LOL....seriously,you actually haven't READ the Iraq resolution but are arguing about the reasons given for the use of force against Iraq???

Quote:
Not when we're talking about support and opposition.
Yes it is.

Quote:
When I considered a war with Iraq well before it actually happened (or became the political talk), was the resolution in place? And speaking of resolutions, since you like to be "educated" as opposed to being ignorant, have you read the resolution on Libya issue? If you did, and think Iraq war was warranted but Libyan support wasn't, why do you think so?
Neither was warranted.

Quote:
Correct. And the USA didn't invade it either.
Didn't write 'invade',wrote attacked....nice try.

Quote:
The people of Libya did and asked UN/NATO for help.
No,the 'rebels' did....the Libyan people were waving their flag around and supporting their government for most of the time it seems.

Quote:
The USA engaged only within the capacity of a NATO member (as others did in joining the USA in its venture into Afghanistan and Iraq).
The USA is the major component of NATO,NATO is ALWAYS under the command of the USA.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
It could be because you know very little on the topic.

You have yet to adequately state why Libya should be attacked(and not a dozen other nations).
We didn't attack Lybia. The rebels attacked a dictator regime and NATO assisted them with limited U.S. help. You're the one that has no clue in whats going on. If I didn't know any better, it sounds like you are a supporter of gaddafi who has killed thousands of his own people.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
What a waste of taxpayer dollars this is. Until everyone has a job that wants one, there shouldn't be any of these rediculous expenditures. We need that money right now for all the expensive entitlement programs and unemployment benefits that we also shouldn't have. But at least the money would be going to U.S. Citizens and not going to kill civilians elsewhere and destroy other countries that we will inevitably have to rebuild and pay for that TOO.

US Military Intervention in Libya Cost At Least $896 Million - Political Punch
I'm not for complete isolationism, but I think the U.S. needs to be more selective in its interventions and it needs to do so with the blessing of a large portion of the international community that would be willing to share at least part of the costs. Former Def. Sec. Bob Gates, a Bush appointee and reappointed by Obama, was right on the money in that Europe needs to step up and contribute more.

I think there's a difference between this type of intervention and the one in Iraq, which involved a foreign occupation and a sustained commitment for years on end.

That said, though, I was never really a huge fan of this intervention. As you say, we've spent a cool billion already, and the indirect costs of spiking oil prices might be well more than that.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
We didn't attack Lybia.
What were those US aircraft and naval vessels doing firing at Libya then?
LOL...this is too easy.

The rebels attacked a dictator regime and NATO assisted them with limited U.S. help. You're the one that has no clue in whats going on.[/quote]
I am fine with rebels attacking whomever they so desire....still none of our business.

You seem ignorant of the workings of NATO.
NATO is ALWAYS under the command of a US Officer.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
What were those US aircraft and naval vessels doing firing at Libya then?
LOL...this is too easy.
There was no attack against Lybia (the people) NATO was assisting the rebels to remove a dictator regime. Why do I keep sounding like a broken record?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies