Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The title of the OP uses the word "defend." From what i've read in the article, it doesn't sound like the ACLU is actually "defending" the teacher, unless we're using the watered down version of the word "defend" by issuing a statement in his defense.

It seems that everyone on this thread in an uproar over the ACLU defending Christians, when this doesn't look like a case of that at all. Anyone can issue a statement in defense. But what does it actually do?
I am the OP, and yes, the ACLU is DEFENDING this guy. I never claimed that Jerry Buell had retained the ACLU as his legal counsel in any legal or court proceedings (although I'm sure they offered). You're putting words in my mouth and attributing conclusions to me that I never made.

I simply stated they're defending him and his position - and I quoted part of the statement they released to that effect. The ACLU is publicly defending this man. And if it comes to a trail, I'm sure they will submit an amicus brief in his defense. It's not a watered down version of the word "defend" - it's a proper use of the word defend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The 'defense' you're looking for is spewed daily by Focus On The Family, The American Family Association, and Westboro Church.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I don't believe there is a court case yet. The school district is only performing an investigation. I think that the ACLU position is, and perhaps the position of others, that if the district fires or otherwise punishes the teacher then the teacher probably would have good case against the school/district.
Sounds plausible to me.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I am the OP, and yes, the ACLU is DEFENDING this guy. I never claimed that Jerry Buell had retained the ACLU as his legal counsel in any legal or court proceedings (although I'm sure they offered). You're putting words in my mouth and attributing conclusions to me that I never made.

I simply stated they're defending him and his position - and I quoted part of the statement they released to that effect. The ACLU is publicly defending this man. And if it comes to a trail, I'm sure they will submit an amicus brief in his defense. It's not a watered down version of the word "defend" - it's a proper use of the word defend.
Settle down, i'm just offering a differing viewpoint base on how I interpreted the article. I'm not accusing you of anything nefarious.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 AM

It looks like the district caved in the face of groups like the ACLU, the Liberty Counsel, and the KKK publicly defending Jerry Buell:

Teacher Reinstated After Anti-Gay Facebook Post - News Story - WFTV Orlando

"Lake County School District Superintendent Susan Moxley reinstated Mount Dora High School social studies teacher Jerry Buell after his controversial anti-gay postings on Facebook."

"Sources close to the investigation told WFTV that the school board chose the easy way out. They say the board thought Buell had violated the rules, but didn't want to deal with a costly legal battle or backlash from the KKK, which had threatened to protest in front of the district headquarters."

Old 08-25-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Settle down, i'm just offering a differing viewpoint base on how I interpreted the article. I'm not accusing you of anything nefarious.
What do I have to settle down from? I was pointed out that you're putting words in my mouth and attributing claims and conclusions to me that I did not make.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I was just pointing out that they defend EVEYBODY whose first or fourth amendment rights are being violated (they're primarily a 1st and 4th amendment advocacy group). It's doesn't matter if the person or group is liberal, conservative, mean, nice, Christian, Muslim, atheist, gay, straight, black, white, etc. The ACLU defends freedom and the Constitution - not particular interests.

They've defended the Westboro Baptist Chruch, the KKK, neo-Nazis, NAMBLA, Rush Limbaugh, Oliver North, Jerry Falwell, John Scopes (the creationism-evolution case in 1925), gay-rights groups, Churches denied advertising space in the Boston subway, etc, etc, etc. And if some governmental agency tried to deny me or you our 1st or 4th amendment rights, they'd defend us.
I understand that. By saying the defense of the Westboro Baptist Church by the ACLU "rubs me the wrong way", I was obliquely expressing my sympathy for all the grieving families who have been hurt by their actions. I could not, in good conscience, lend any voice to defending them, and, along with millions of other people I would like to see them disappear from the face of the earth.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:52 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Because that is an Establishment clause issue, not a Free Exercise one.

You persist in your willful ignorance regarding the difference between this kind of case and the ones I cited above.

What is it going to take to get you to understand constitutional law?

Ditto.

Ditto ditto. The ACLU upholds BOTH religion clauses. When it is Free Exercise under threat, they will always side with the religion. When it is Establishment under threat, they will always side against the religion.

What part of this do you just not get?

Of course it is murky. It is in fact both murky and extremely complicated. That's why we have lawsuits to sort this stuff out. We have an organic, self-correcting legal system, and this is part of the process of sorting this complicated stuff out.

Hence the need for guidance from the courts, which can only be obtained via a lawsuit that results in a court opinion. The courts cannot just sua sponte go around expressing opinions. That really would be legislating and is not permitted in our system of government. The courts only have power when a controversy is propertly presented to him.

I've already cited an example of the ACLU going after a Muslim school where they believed the school was violating the Establishment clause.

Now before you go down the road of "but but it seems the ACLU goes after Christians more often", you're right, but for the wrong reasons. The reasons for that are simple demographics. More Christians = more incidents of Establishment violations.

A school system spends money on one religion and it doesn't run afoul of the establishment clause?

Tax payer funed Muslim foot baths, Islamic prayer rugs, Muslim-only prayer rooms, rescheduling of school events to accommodate Ramadan fasting, Muslim prayer before football games...OK.

Personal crucifix lapel pin, Christmas tree, "In God We Trust"...not OK.

CHRISTIAN TEACHERS PERSECUTED BY MUSLIMS

California Catholic Daily - (http://www.calcatholic.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?id=3debb555-82b8-428c-898d-c2d1f8fc1f8b - broken link)

Christian Families Sue Over School's Islam Role-Playing - October 20, 2005 - The New York Sun

Old 08-25-2011, 01:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Yeah, but the problem with the ACLU is that right after defending these God-fearing, true American causes, it turns around and defends a Satanic Mooslim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Ignorance is bliss, I guess...

ACLU of Colorado Supports Students Wearing Christian Symbols in the Colorado Springs School District

ACLU-NJ Defends Christian Student's Anti-Abortion Speech

ACLU of Tennessee Defends Christian Students' Right to Preach in Public Park

ACLU of Virginia Defends Christian Students' Right to Protest Against ACLU at Public School

ACLU Defends Christian Students Wearing Anti-Islam Shirts to Florida Public School

ACLU Fights For Christian Inmate's Right to Preach

ACLU of Northern California Fights Law that Got Quakers Fired Over Loyalty Oath

ACLU Defends Christian Librarian Disciplined for Refusing to Promote Harry Potter

ACLU Defends Right of Individual Christian to Display Nativity Scene on Public Property

ACLU Defends Christians Protesting Gay Rights in Florida

ACLU Champions Religious Freedom Of Mormon College Student

ACLU Fights for Christian Church's Mission to Feed the Poor

ACLU Fights for Christmas Tree

ACLU Files Suit to Protect Free Speech Rights of Christian Protesting Wal-Mart's Policy on Gays

ACLU of Georgia and Baptist Church File Religious Discrimination Lawsuit

ACLU of Rhode Island Files Appeal on Behalf of Christian Prisoner Barred from Preaching at Religious Services

ACLU of Michigan Defends Catholic Man Coerced to Convert to Pentecostal Faith in Drug Rehab Program

ACLU of New Jersey Joins Lawsuit Supporting Second-Grader's Right to Sing "Awesome God" at Talent Show

After ACLU Intervention on Behalf of Christian Valedictorian, Michigan High School Agrees to Stop Censoring Religious Yearbook Entries

ACLU Helps Free New Mexico Street Preacher From Prison

ACLU of WA Wins Right of Christian Minister to Preach in Spokane Plaza

ACLU Fights for Baptist Preacher in Illinois

ACLU Defends Rights of Christian Group to Make Religious Protest at Funerals

ACLU Backs Christian Abortion Protester in Ohio

ACLU of Oregon Defends Religious Liberty Of Adventist School Boys Basketball Players

ACLU Backs Missouri Nurse Penalized for Wearing Cross-Shaped Lapel Pin

ACLU Defends Christian Street Preacher in Las Vegas

ACLU Argues for Legal Recognition of Small Christian Church

ACLU of MA Defends Students Punished for Distributing Candy Canes with Religious Messages

ACLU of Nebraska Defends Church Facing Eviction by the City of Lincoln

ACLU Defends Church's Right to Run "Anti-Santa" Ads in Boston Subways

ACLU Defends Inmate's Access to Material from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Following Threat of ACLU of Virginia Lawsuit, Officials to Agree Not to Ban Baptisms in Public Parks

ACLU Defends Families Fighting Removal Of Religious Symbols from Florida Cemetery

ACLU Supports Right of Iowa Students to Distribute Christian Literature at School

ACLU Argument In Support of the Display of a Christian Cross in a Public Forum

ACLU Defends Christian Worker Required to Remove Bible from Desk at Government Job

ACLU Defends Free Speech Rights of Christians And Others On Main Street Plaza

ACLU Defends Prisoner's Rosary Beads

ACLU Defends Christian Group's Anti-Abortion Ads On Phoenix Buses

ACLU Pledges to Back Church in a Zoning Battle

ACLU of PA Files Discrimination Lawsuit Over Denial of Zoning Permit for African American Baptist Church

ACLU Offers To Represent Private Prayer on Public Property and

ACLU Joins Falwell To Fight For Church Incorporation Rights

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A school system spends money on one religion and it doesn't run afoul of the establishment clause?
I didn't say that. Plus, as I am about to explain, it's in that murky area where Establishment and Free Exercise overlap.

Quote:
Tax payer funed Muslim foot baths, Islamic prayer rugs, Muslim-only prayer rooms, rescheduling of school events to accommodate Ramadan fasting, Muslim prayer before football games...OK.
It all depends on the circumstances. In most instances these things would probably be violations of the Establishment clause, in others they may be necessary to avoid a violation of free exercise.

Details are important. Do we not ALREADY schedule the entire school year around not having school near Christmas, eh? See what I mean?

Quote:
Personal crucifix lapel pin, Christmas tree, "In God We Trust"...not OK.
Who is wearing the pin? In what context? Christmas tree where? Motto where (there's already an exception for this, BTW, recognized by the courts).

Not a credible source. Try linking to some actual court cases if you want to make a credible argument.

Quote:
California Catholic Daily - (http://www.calcatholic.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?id=3debb555-82b8-428c-898d-c2d1f8fc1f8b - broken link)

Christian Families Sue Over School's Islam Role-Playing - October 20, 2005 - The New York Sun
Ditto this. What does the court opinion say, because that's the only opinion that counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies