Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Really now? Well....I don't share your views neither and having seen the underbelly of Paris, thus forming my opinion that Europe crows on an empty hen house, leastways I ain't spoutin' off totally blind...whereas you ...of course ...must have a more informed outlook on American culture? Beyond what bias Europe holds and passes to progeny about the US? Yes...we take the presence of firearms as obligatory ...where I live anyhoo. We use the pretty much.daily and skill with them is as required as daily bathing. Thus competitive events that showcase skill withfirearms holds interest to us. My son, who is 15, is an A class competitive shooter in Steel Challenge...one level below me. so disdain the shooting sports if you wish. Don't matter a fart in a high wind to me.
I rather like the US dominance in these events and have great pride in our teams.
As if Detroit were any better than shabby parts of Paris

That is the difference. If my son used firearms, no matter where or why, they would get sanctioned... As long as he lives with me and depends on me, arms are as taboo as drugs or prostitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 12:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

That is the difference. If my son used firearms, no matter where or why, they would get sanctioned... As long as he lives with me and depends on me, arms are as taboo as drugs or prostitution.
The problem some people here have with your posts, is that you're acting like a typical left-wing European and projecting your "moral superiority" over Americans. As if you are more sophisticated and correct in banning guns because you are European. Gun bans don't work, plain and simple. Gun bans are obviously not working in Latin America or Africa and gun restrictions are falling apart in Canada because gun crime is up. Gun crime is also up in majority Muslim neighborhoods in Paris, London, and Manchester

Old 08-26-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The problem some people here have with your posts, is that you're acting like a typical left-wing European and projecting your "moral superiority" over Americans. As if you are more sophisticated and correct in banning guns because you are European. Gun bans don't work, plain and simple. Gun bans are obviously not working in Latin America or Africa and gun restrictions are falling apart in Canada because gun crime is up. Gun crime is also up in majority Muslim neighborhoods in Paris, London, and Manchester
There are also Americans who want gun bans, it's not just me.

I am not a big fan of Paris, but when someone drags it through the mud in order to make a ridiculous claim regarding European cities as a whole, it is only fair to mention places such as Detroit on the other side of the Atlantic.

As far as I can see, gun laws function well in Europe. An occasional shooting involving illegal weapons doesn't change a thing about that. Places like Germany will never allow arms, and I support that. Guns are just not the civilized way of solving problems in the 21st century in my view.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:00 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:

I do believe my dislike of ALL citys was made plain and I don't disagree that US citys gouio
ts issues. My issue with your take is that by painting the shooting sports in a negative light Europe and England have somehow made Their citys better.
I also made plain that I can't care a whit what your take on use of arms is. We have ours. Time may come you might wish you had a more Spartan take on things. My history is a little hazy.....who was it that dominated the original Olympic games? One clue...it was NOT the Athenians
Europe faired far better in WW2 than it could have without American skill at arms. Suited ya'll well enough when ya needed it. Oh wait!...Where did Spain and Portugal fall in allegiance in that lil' scrap? Sorry...me history is hazing again.
Besides, most if not all Olympic events have their roots in martial skill of some sort. So, if your delicate sensibilities are offended by showcase of skill at arms why do you even care about ANY Olympic events? Tune the games out altogether and scorn your own athletes in your own country.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:03 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
This is a total violation of their Second Amendment ri- - -

Oh, wait a minute. This is in England? So what we think here in the United States doesn't control what they do?

Never mind.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Oh, wait a minute. This is in England? So what we think here in the United States doesn't control what they do?

Never mind.
Seriously, who fricking cares? Did anyone on here really give a scat about what Olympic events English kids were allowed to go to until this article came up. Oh, but it involves guns, so now American posters on here(who will never go to the London Olympics, don't really care about what goes on in England for the most part, and have no stake in the matter) suddenly have to get their panties in a bunch.

Hey, I support the 2nd amendment, but sometimes y'all can be tad over-dramatic. Let the Europeans decide their own gun laws and let England decide how they want to run their Olympics.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I do believe my dislike of ALL citys was made plain and I don't disagree that US citys gouio
ts issues. My issue with your take is that by painting the shooting sports in a negative light Europe and England have somehow made Their citys better.
I also made plain that I can't care a whit what your take on use of arms is. We have ours. Time may come you might wish you had a more Spartan take on things. My history is a little hazy.....who was it that dominated the original Olympic games? One clue...it was NOT the Athenians
Europe faired far better in WW2 than it could have without American skill at arms. Suited ya'll well enough when ya needed it. Oh wait!...Where did Spain and Portugal fall in allegiance in that lil' scrap? Sorry...me history is hazing again.
Besides, most if not all Olympic events have their roots in martial skill of some sort. So, if your delicate sensibilities are offended by showcase of skill at arms why do you even care about ANY Olympic events? Tune the games out altogether and scorn your own athletes in your own country.
European cities are safer than US ones, that means a lot to me as safety is key to my understanding of quality of life.

I indeed don't care about the origins of the games, not even about WWII. Those were primitive times and people compared to people of the 21st century, except certain Muslim countries maybe.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Never mind.
True enough. There will be lots of American kids following the shooting events, though coverage of these fantastic events is only broadcast by certain cable/sattelite networks such as ODCH and such. At least someone picks them up. IPSC/USPSA is an Olympic event now and I do believe Steel Challenge is as well So glad I am an American.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
European cities are safer than US ones, that means a lot to me as safety is key to my understanding of quality of life.

I indeed don't care about the origins of the games, not even about WWII. Those were primitive times and people compared to people of the 21st century, except certain Muslim countries maybe.

Sure thing.....and I have an ocean beach house in New Mexico I will sell ya cheap. What an absolutely hilarious take on things. So glad I live where I do. The window on the world that the internet provides is entertaining at times....and frightening.as well.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Sure thing.....and I have an ocean beach house in New Mexico I will sell ya cheap. What an absolutely hilarious take on things. So glad I live where I do. The window on the world that the internet provides is entertaining at times....and frightening.as well.
Yes, I feel the same way, just the other way round
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies