Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:07 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think it's a matter of whether or not people "practice what they preach."
I've known atheists who are fine, decent human beings-- and those who were not; I've known Christians who are fine, decent human beings-- and those who were not. As for the latter-- an amazing # of hypocrites who seem to truly believe their concept of being 'saved' relieves them of the responsibility to live/behave as decent human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I am sorry, I thought you knew what you were talking about.
Translated to truth, " I have no answer."

I didn't think you would....

Old 08-26-2011, 11:11 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Eternal fire and Damnation.
Tell me, does the snake handling come before or after the speaking in tongues???

Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Translated to truth, " I have no answer."

I didn't think you would....
Like I said, an old saying. I can say, I have been in a life-death situation while I was in the service, and you were not. I guess you can't disprove it either.

So, was you Grandfather a liar too?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Tell me, does the snake handling come before or after the speaking in tongues???
Don't know anything abiout snakehandling. Speaking in tongues is interesting.

Hey, if you are right, I lose nothing.

If you are wrong, you burn forever.

Time will tell.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:28 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Don't know anything abiout snakehandling. Speaking in tongues is interesting.

Hey, if you are right, I lose nothing.

If you are wrong, you burn forever.

Time will tell.
I always find it funny when Christians say stuff like this. What makes you think that non-Christians want to spend an eternity alongside a bunch of bible thumpers.

I'd rather take the pit of fire!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:34 AM

14 posts, read 43,655 times
Well anyone can claim to be whatever but christianity in particular is more like a way of life than a religion. This means you can claim yourself as one but you aren't until you act like one. A lot of inmates also become converted while in prison. I personally don't consider figures in things like this because what people tell you is often different from the actual fact. There are many "men of God" who will still spend eternity in hell but they still claim christianity. What can you say about that?
Even if it is true that 75% of christians are in prison, it is clearly evident that the doctrine of christianity forbids violating the law, So what's the issue? The drawback about them (christians) is that many of them exaggerate on how holy they are highly criticizing other religions when they themselves are bad. The bible even says that one should examine oneself before pointing fingers.
But I think the main confusing thing is The people who call themselves christians. Are they really christians?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:31 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamey View Post
Well anyone can claim to be whatever but christianity in particular is more like a way of life than a religion. This means you can claim yourself as one but you aren't until you act like one. A lot of inmates also become converted while in prison. I personally don't consider figures in things like this because what people tell you is often different from the actual fact. There are many "men of God" who will still spend eternity in hell but they still claim christianity. What can you say about that?
Even if it is true that 75% of christians are in prison, it is clearly evident that the doctrine of christianity forbids violating the law, So what's the issue? The drawback about them (christians) is that many of them exaggerate on how holy they are highly criticizing other religions when they themselves are bad. The bible even says that one should examine oneself before pointing fingers.
But I think the main confusing thing is The people who call themselves christians. Are they really christians?
I think this is a cop out. Where the priests and Bishops who conducted the inquisition "real" Christians? Clearly they were. Your entire argument I think is premised on the notion that real Christians do not break the law, or are otherwise without sin. And that is just nonsense.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:02 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamey View Post
Well, how do you know?

There is no litmus test to tell a good Christian, a Christian that's working on it, or some one that's just paying lip service (like any idea). You can't even tell if a pastor of a major local church claiming to be holy, and if you spoke out against him you were against god, was secretly snorting meth off a gay prostitute. Many people followed him as a shining light example of a good Christian, so if real beleivers can't tell...how is anyone supposed to know a "real" Christian?

My problem is people like Rand Paul and Sarah Palin telling the world that if everyone was Christian, there would be no need for laws or government (http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/05/20/rand-paul-and-sarah-palin-we-wouldnt-need-gov-if-everyone-were-christian/ - broken link). Well, if you can't tell who is a "real" Christian....how can you really say that?

Especially with nuts saying all Atheists are "immoral, unethical, and criminal". Personally I think it is more ethical to make the choice to adhere to morals, then to do so because of a threat of eternal torment from a giant father figure. Doubly so that the Bible say that if you ask for forgiveness god will give it to you...brushing over even horrendous sins because, well you are sorry I guess.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
How many athiests convert when they go prison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies