Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Perhaps solar powered battery chargers? LOL I just bought one in prep for the hurricane.

The Baghdad Battery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Oil does give off soot as do wax candles. The time it took, there would be signs of soot covering the intriguing art on the ceiling and walls.
That guy in Egypt that is on the History Channel has thought hard about it. There is no soot.
I know nothing of this topic and decided to google it. Maybe this source isn't so hot, but this is what I'm finding.

Mystery of Soot Deposits in the Chambers

"Traces of Egyptian soot remnants can be found in the burial chambers of the walls in the Red Pyramid of Dahschur. This chamber is built on ground-level by the father of Khufu called Snofru. Khufu is well known for his creation of the Great Pyramid. There is an abundant amount of soot in this chamber and is at least a few millimeters in thickness and can be found throughout the ceiling and walls of his burial chamber in Egypt. One of the earliest mentions of Egyptian soot dates back to the year 1638 and has been mentioned in a book on the Great Pyramid written by John Greaves."

Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Baghdad Battery

Would it generate enough power to charge a cell phone? If so, please explain. It's been some years since physics lab.

eta: Of course myth busters covered the Baghdad Battery. That show rules. You can read about it here at the end of the article.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:43 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Why is it different? To bring you electricity we use wires to bring you water we use pipes. Both have to be paid for.
Water is a necessity of life and is provided in the needed form without any interference needed by man. No one needs electricity to survive and it requires interference by man to make it useful.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Nature does not freely provide education but I bet you think it should be free as well.
Nature does if you pay attention.

Are you opposed to public education?

Old 08-27-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Yes, Nature provides it for free, you are paying someone to ensure it's clean, safe and to deliver to your home. You can always have the city turn off your water, and then go get it yourself, and carry it home in buckets.

BTW Money is nothing but a mutually agreed upon medium that has value, because we assign value to it. Because it is accepted by people as valuable, it's use is to barter for goods and services based on it's mutually agreed upon value, and you earn this "coin of the realm", because you agree that it has value, and will accept a certain amount of it based on it's value for your labor.
Many cities will then force someone out of their home, claiming "health" reasons. Of course it has nothing to do with health. The local town water supply where I live has so much chlorine in it it's full of carcinogens, but they won't even allow someone to have a well of their own. It's about power. Control food and water and you control the people.

As for money, it's worthless paper and ink as far as I'm concerned. I think it's both hilarious and sad that so many people devote their lives to it, willing to see people suffer or die in the process. I haven't chosen to use it, I've been forced to. You can't, as humans did for tens of thousands of years, just go out to the wilderness and build one's home or feed one's self. Some idiot will say a piece of paper gives them "ownership" of everything from the land to the water to the game, and you'll need to work for "money" to use it. Money slavery. It truly only benefits a few, yet most people are so deluded into believing in money they'll defend their own slavery.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Actually,people,if she paid taxes and the banks got those bailouts,then she just paid for the banks bailout.
So,what happened to the citizens(our bailouts)? If the banks got bailouts for being stupid,why not her,you,or me?
She paid THEIR debt,all of us did.
Exactly. If all the money handed over to banksters was divided instead amongst the people, I don't believe anyone would be having money problems right now...

Old 08-27-2011, 06:14 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Many cities will then force someone out of their home, claiming "health" reasons. Of course it has nothing to do with health. The local town water supply where I live has so much chlorine in it it's full of carcinogens, but they won't even allow someone to have a well of their own. It's about power. Control food and water and you control the people.

As for money, it's worthless paper and ink as far as I'm concerned. I think it's both hilarious and sad that so many people devote their lives to it, willing to see people suffer or die in the process. I haven't chosen to use it, I've been forced to. You can't, as humans did for tens of thousands of years, just go out to the wilderness and build one's home or feed one's self. Some idiot will say a piece of paper gives them "ownership" of everything from the land to the water to the game, and you'll need to work for "money" to use it. Money slavery. It truly only benefits a few, yet most people are so deluded into believing in money they'll defend their own slavery.
Money is quite a convenience, if you think about it. Instead of directly bartering labor for food, one can work for another person/company, receive money in return and use that to gather food. Suppose that live in Africa on free land and you need a widget from your neighbor but your expertise is gathering food and your neighbor needs no food, what would you use to compensate your neighbor for the widget? Money, simplistically, is a representation of one's labor, whereas you receive "credit" for the labor you provide someone else. Whether you would choose paper money or not, you would indeed need to choose some way to compensate others for their products/services.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
There are many ignorant people in the world. Why pick on this one fool?... there are so many to choose from.

Best of the Bushisms - YouTube

Old 08-27-2011, 06:30 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
There are many ignorant people in the world. Why pick on this one fool?... there are so many to choose from.

Best of the Bushisms - YouTube
Good try, but these misspeaks and faux pas aren't even comparable to the idiocy of believing Africa had electricity in ancient times or advocating that we only pay rent for ten years and then its free, or believing that President FDR made a speech on TV when the stock market crashed. Oh wait, that was VP Biden, not this lady. Sorry, but you could see how I could got them confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies