Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Post-partum means "after birth." There is no "birth" when an abortion is carried out. Your correlation is faulty.
Not particuarly, since the context of the argument was that women get mental health issues after giving birth to children.

Which is a decent point to bring up, because it makes the point of "abortion causes mental health issues" idiotic and nonsensical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Or just begin. Life is not a Hallmark card.

If a woman, for whatever reason, but especially emotionally - is not ready to have a baby - then the implications for that child are potentially horrendous.

Children need loving parents. They DESERVE loving parents. There are plenty of children rattling around foster care, in a system of not being wanted, that DESERVED a parent that didn't just fall for them when they were a newborn but that continued loving them through the rest of their childhood.

If a woman does not WANT a baby, then they should be able to make that choice before the embryo/fetus becomes a living breathing human being that ends up with a life that we wouldn't inflict on a stray dog, anti social, incarcerated, miserable, perhaps abused - not understanding why he/she was ever brought into this world in the first place.

If a woman knows that she is not able to give the child a life that child DESERVES, (and I am not talking financially) then let her make the right decision for the both of them. IMO, it is better the woman suffer some regret for having an abortion than inflict a lifetime of regret on a child she doesn't want, and is not going to care for.

A 6 week old embryo doesn't care if it's not wanted. A 6 year old child does.
Excellent post.

Add to that: the effects of maternal stress on the development of the fetus if a woman or girl is forced against her will to carry the pregnancy to term.

Add to that: Attachment Theory and the effects on the emotional and cognitive development of children who do not form secure attachments to their main carer.

Last edited by Ceist; 09-02-2011 at 07:39 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
......Only to see those mental health issues evaporate the moment she holds that tiny, precious baby of hers for the first time.
Seriously? Do you also subscribe to the "happy slaves. singing on the plantation" theory.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Origin:
1840–50; < Neo-Latin post partum after childbirth; post post- + partum, accusative of partus a bringing forth, equivalent to par ( ere ) to bear ( see parturient) + -tus suffix of v. action

So tell me, what exactly has the woman "produced" as you put it by having an abortion? I believe you're being massively obtuse to all of a sudden assert that "post-partum" is not the term used to describe the "after birth" period of the child bearing process.

Remember, abortion is not aborting a "child" in the liberal family view.

Succinctly, Abortion is not a birth, so there can be no post birth period. Don't even try to go there.
Oh please, you are seriously going to engage in a debate about medical terminology with me without doing any research? That's a bit insulting. Read your own definition again too while you're at it!

Embryonic and fetal death during gestation, and live birth, have many and varied labels. They all result in the same thing, the woman is no longer pregnant, and her hormones quickly change to a lactating, or non-pregnant state. This is thought to be the basis of Postpartum Depression, the hormone shift.

Please so some research before spreading more misinformation.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
This is why I laugh over people who think women can just get an abortion and keep it hush hush from a future mate.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,350 times
I have 3 stories to tell.... as a genealogist, I'm familiar with quite a few extended (very distant) family stories. How about the Nun that got gang raped and ended up pregnant? Granted, she's a nun, so we know she won't do an abortion, but what if she wasn't a Nun? Can the Pro-Lifers understand the mental anguish she would suffer maintaining this pregnancy? But then again, the mental anguish of ending it? This was also a Black gang against a white Nun and this was during the 70's when race mixing was quite taboo.

I was born in a Catholic hospital during the 60's. I was told of a woman who already had 4 little kids and a husband at home. My Mother didn't know the details, but something was going wrong, and because it was a CATHOLIC hospital, they determined the health of the UNBORN was more important than the health of the WOMAN! Try explaining that to her husband and 4 little kids at home? The husband pulled his wife out of that Catholic hospital and to the other hospital in the same town. The Mother survived, the baby didn't.

20 yrs ago I knew a recently wed honeymoon couple. They hadn't even had their 1st Anniversary yet. She was still in her 1st trimester when they discovered Breast Cancer. I think it was Breast? maybe it was somewhere else? Anyhow... she had 2 choices.... Abort the baby and attack the cancer PRONTO or wait the 9 months (pray with all your life) until the baby was born.

She was a devout Catholic. Guess what she chose? She chose to believe in pray and God's wishes. Bad choice. During the 3rd trimester, she ended up in a coma. They kept her alive until it was safe to deliver the baby. Then they pulled the plug. Was this fair for the husband/new daddy? Was this fair for that tiny newborn baby to be born without a Mother?

BTW... I'm adopted. I fully support a woman's right to abortion.

Last edited by springazure; 09-02-2011 at 08:23 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
At this point, I am inclined to say that some (many?) of the women who have abortions are already headed down the road to mental health issues of one sort or another.

Were abortions for real medical reasons considered? A dangerous pregnancy may be terminated when the woman really wants to continue it. I can well see how this would lead to some mental health issues down the road.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:45 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Really?

Why is this such a difficult decision?
You really cannot think of reasons why an abortion would be a difficult decision?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
You really cannot think of reasons why an abortion would be a difficult decision?
He's looking for someone to make a "gotcha" post. You know, end of a life, blah, blah, blah! He not only thinks women are stupid, but thinks pro-choice supporters are stupid too.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Oh please, you are seriously going to engage in a debate about medical terminology with me without doing any research? That's a bit insulting. Read your own definition again too while you're at it!

Embryonic and fetal death during gestation, and live birth, have many and varied labels. They all result in the same thing, the woman is no longer pregnant, and her hormones quickly change to a lactating, or non-pregnant state. This is thought to be the basis of Postpartum Depression, the hormone shift.

Please so some research before spreading more misinformation.
I notice you didn't disagree with my point.

Fetal death during gestation, live birth, etc. have nothing to do with abortion. You are attempting to attach post-partum depression to abortion.

For someone who is in the medical field, I would expect you to know the difference between Post-partum Depression and Post Abortion Stress Syndrome.

Your medical background is now irrelevant to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies