Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

The point on lax enforcement of immigration laws is to assure a surplus of workers willing to work for very low wages. This applies from construction labor through factory work to high tech H1b visas.

Enforcing the immigration laws would reduce the supply of workers and the profits to be made from those workers. It might mean the well off would have to mow their own lawns or Microsoft would make lower profits.

Many would consider that to be Un-American but I consider it necessary to keep out economy functioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
But honestly I can see a lot of vacant construction jobs with no one there happening if we left it all up to our own citizens.
ROFL... what planet are you on? Those jobs will have to be filled and if the construction company can't attract workers they will raise the pay scale until they do.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I've said for years that the best way to curb illegal immigration is to go after teh American Employers who so happily hire them. Take away the jobs and you take away the incentive.

I think the contractor who rolls through the Home Depot Parking lot every morning to hire cheap, illegal workers that he can pay peanuts to is a bigger "criminal" then the illegal worker himself.
I don't think you can them all criminals because there is lot out there that don't have much of choice, if your competition is using illegals they can undercut you substantially. Having said that I'd wholeheartedly would endorse escalating enforcement, fines or even jail time.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
There are some places and jobs that cannot be filled by Americans. The orchards in out community hire legal immigrants to harvest the apple crop. We are a fairly affluent community and local workers are simply not available at any wage.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 AM

737 posts, read 1,149,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I think it would work for some people but there are a lot of people that think they are too good for a construction job. They want to get employed but when they say that they mean they want to get employed in some cushy job like the one they had before. There are some souls out there that really mean they would take any job when they say they are trying to get employed again, and for those people, opening up construction jobs would be beneficial. But honestly I can see a lot of vacant construction jobs with no one there happening if we left it all up to our own citizens.

A person that turned down work used to lose their benefits. Has that changed?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
How do you know the workers were not 100% American ? Did you e-verify them, and track down their history ? Just because a worker has brown skin does not mean he/she is not American. Mexican-Americans have been contributing to this country since the 1800's.

Im willing to bet that the 5/5 workers had brown skin. That really says nothing as to whether or not they are American.

Not a whole lot of Boat people coming in from Cuba these days, eh?

I work in the construction fields and it is just like HappyTexan says.

The subcontractor is legal and most likely amnestied in 1986, but the crews are all illegals.

I had to go off into inspections and leave a trade I LOVED to do, because I could not compete unless I too, hired only illegals.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
It's not the responsibility of business owners to enforce immigration law.
Let the bureaucrats just do the job they were tasked with and quit paying benefits/healthcare/education to those who are here illegally.

As for a wall, I'd rather America not turn into E. Berlin or embark on a massive money squandering wall building spree.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
How do you know the workers were not 100% American ? Did you e-verify them, and track down their history ? Just because a worker has brown skin does not mean he/she is not American. Mexican-Americans have been contributing to this country since the 1800's.

Im willing to bet that the 5/5 workers had brown skin. That really says nothing as to whether or not they are American.
When 5/5 have the same ethnicity and speak the same foreign language, you would not assume they are all Americans. Mexican-Americans who have contributed since the 1800s all speak English by now and would be more likely to be found in a mixed ethnic group. When the group has no white English speakers, no black English speakers, no hispanic English speakers, you can bet the employer is discriminating -- and against Americans.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It's not the responsibility of business owners to enforce immigration law.
Let the bureaucrats just do the job they were tasked with and quit paying benefits/healthcare/education to those who are here illegally.

As for a wall, I'd rather America not turn into E. Berlin or embark on a massive money squandering wall building spree.

But is is their responsibility to do due diligence, to verify the workers they use and the subcontracts they choose, are here in this nation legally so they can legally work. Not using them to undercut their competition, that is using legal labor.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't think you can them all criminals because there is lot out there that don't have much of choice, if your competition is using illegals they can undercut you substantially. Having said that I'd wholeheartedly would endorse escalating enforcement, fines or even jail time.
I'm sorry, but you don't get a pass on illegal activity just becasue "everyone else is doing it." Too slippery of a slope imo.

We need to crack down on the Employers #1.

We need to expand the temporary visas for seasonal farm and harvest help #2.

That's my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies