Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,689,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
How do you know that Black slaves were stripped of their language, names and culture when their brethren captured them before they sold them to the White man?
It's called Basic World History 101.

Quote:

Of the 12 million Blacks who came on the slave ships to the Americas, only 500k came to the USA. Not sure why we get all the flak.
Because we're in the USA.

Quote:
Hell - the British banned the slave trade and enforced it with their navy long before Africans even considered banning things like slavery or embracing democracy, Whites had to force them.
You've got a quite dubious perception of what actually happened in the slave trade.........but everyone on this forum already knows this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,844,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yeah, Whites and Hispanics are loud too, but that's not really the point I was trying to make. It's not just about noise. Asians tend not to be on people's radar, for good and for bad, so people generally feel neutral about us. And really that's the goal.

I talked to some Indians before and we all agreed that Asians would have never pushed for civil rights because we don't really like to rock the boat. An Indian lady once told me that she sometimes wished she was like Black people so when she didn't get what she wanted she could scream about it and get others to comply. Yeah, I know that sounds like a stereoptype, but it exists for a reason. For good and for bad, Black people tend to rock the boat.
But see being loud and fighting for one's rights is the essence of Americanism. The colonial citizens rose up and fought for their rights from Britain, that, in essence is what this country is about.

People still protest and still march and still fight for what they believe in. It is not just black people at all in this country.

And really I think it is funny that you would say that Asians don't stand up and fight for their rights since Indians specifically did gain their independence through non-violent means. MLK and many non-violent activist in the CRM used the movement in India and Ghandi as a reference to how they were going to fight against injustice, this is the reason why here in Atlanta there is a staue of Ghandi on the grounds of the MLK center.

There have been many instances of Asians fighting back in their own countries against those who many did not support.

And like Lucario said, the CRM gave entry to many Asians to come to this country it is sad that many have such a low opinion of black Americans. In any other segment of society, a willingness to fight for one's rights as a citizen would be seen as a positive, uplifting thing, not "oh those people are too loud" KWIM. One has to wonder why they are being loud and one has to also know that many of the so-called "black leaders" that the mainstream believe know everything and represent everyone in America who are black, are not leaders in anyway and that most black people do not support them or pay them any attention or even listen to anything they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
It wasn't that long ago that modern humans were said to have evolved from the Neanderthal, only to have it discovered that both coexisted simultaneously. That's when more theories emerged such as the "Island Theory", suggesting that one group of Neanderthals became isolated from the rest who evolved into modern humans, while the isolated ones (Sequestered as if on an remote Island free of evolutionary influences) did not evolve. It's a pretty ludicrous theory, given no real mechanism of this ceasing of evolution for the length of time it would require for Neanderthals to evolve into modern humans, but then again, just about everything associated with speciation is nothing more than conjecture based on false assumptions.

I believe there are far different elements and forces at work to explain the different peoples and languages on the planet than the rather antiquated notions of 1800's theories. But that's a separate topic altogether.

More to the overall point of the thread, it's quite natural for people to gravitate toward those they most resemble ... whether that resemblance comes in the form of physical likeness (racial) or behavioral likeness (cultural). As you previously recounted in your own experience, it is more the rule than the exception for people to naturally segregate and collect around those who they share the most commonality, with race being the most obvious differentiation, but not the only one.

The trouble comes into the picture when this natural behavior is labeled as a negative, and artificial actions are engaged to coerce or force people to go against their natural tendencies and behave unnaturally, which is part of the "diversity" training the social engineers want to force down people's throats. This creates animosity and resentment between people when no such negatives would surface if people were left to make their own choices, free of negative labels and coercion.

Take NYC for example. This was one of the primary convergent points for early 20th century immigration to America with a vast array of ethnic cultures arriving for a new life here. And these groups self segregated ... not just by skin color, but by culture ... with the Italians, Irish, Asian etc., all creating their own small enclaves and neighborhoods ... all coexisting with one another, yet also separate and maintaining their own culture, side by side.

Don't tell the Italians that it's wrong to establish "little Italy" ... or tell the Asians it's bigoted of them to have created "Chinatown". The very idea is absurd ... yet that is exactly what the social engineers at the center of this push for "diversity" proclaim. It's a total fraud, and meant to create tension.

Diversity, as in a wide variety of flavors is a great thing ... that's why we love different cuisines and their different tastes and textures. A great plate of spaghetti and meatballs is terrific, as is a wonderful plate of Fried Rice, or Pad Thai ..... but only if they are allowed to be separate and maintain their own unique flavors and identities. Dump all three into a large pot and stir them up ... you'll have taken three delicious dishes and created a nasty mess of them ... all of which are ruined.
I never said that I was for forced integration if anything I said that I wasn't. I also agreed that people have a natrual tendency to gravitate to those who are like them (like you referenced in my own experience). I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I won't get into the darwin stuff because that would take to long to discuss and is best suited to scientific debates but I dont' have a problem with Chinatown or Little Italy or Greek Town or the Polish Village or anything like that. It does not bother me none the least.

I also agree with you that natural diversity is a good thing. There are diverse aspects in all countries but here in America and other countries that have seen large populations of immigrants come to their shores in the past 100 years but we are unique in this respect IMO. I don't want anyone forced to seperate and I don't want anyone forced to integrate.

What I have been getting act in the last few posts that I have written is about how some white people and other minorities are saying that black Americans are not integrated into mainstream American society. I feel that is very far from the truth and that if we are not it is because some just don't want to see the similarities or acknowledge our common bonds due to physical features like skin color and hair texture as through the media and through stereotypes and negative perceptions historically passed down through our country's existence, many still have in their mind that black people are not like white people or Asian people or hispanic people or any other people. That we are somehow a totally seperate segment of the American population.

I personally don't even have an issue with all black neighborhoods and I don't have an issue with gentrification either. I live in lower class all black neighborhood that is being eyed for gentrification because of our close proximity to certain desired amenities in this metro area. I don't see anything bad about this except that I know that it will cause my property taxes to rise and I am pretty frugal. I don't want to live in an expensive neighborhood, if I did, I would have moved to one initially. So once more white people move over here and because white to a lot equals extra desirable, I will more than likely move to a cheaper neighborhood. It will more than likely be a black neighborhood since many besides black people don't see black neighborhoods as desirable and I can still get a good deal on a big house with a big yard in a quiet, low crime area, even one that is majority black.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,313,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Which is another reason why children need to be taught about anthropology in school.

It's not because of "diversity" programs that kids "get along" and learn to respect each other.

So-called "diversity" programs don't teach anything about WHY people look different and what those differences mean.

It's not because of differences that people socialize together.

The society has to be cohesive in CULTURE not "race" or "ethnicity".

The culture has to be the same. Diversity only teaches SEPARATION.

It's not because there are people from all over the world in one location, it's that they KEEP THEIR SOCIETY SEPARATE AND DO NOT INTEGRATE into the MAINSTREAM.

THAT'S THE PROBLEM. Stop teaching diversity and start teaching UNITY.

If I want to learn about the culture of India and be immersed in it - I'll go to Mumbai. I don't want pockets of it in Michigan, or New York or California.

Time to start stressing AMERICAN CULTURE and stop all the pandering to social/ethnic minorities. You're in the USA, you WANTED to come here, now it's time to become American.
So what's YOUR definition of American culture?

Also you seem to forget that not every group of people in America necessarily WANTED to come here.

Also I'd like for you to define how does one "Become an American".

Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,313,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
United we stand, divided we fall.

Diversity comes from the same root word as division and division is what it's all about.

We no longer are an American people whose politicians must face us as Americans, we're a bunch of divided people with out any common language, goals, or culture.
We've ALWAYS been divided.

If you don't think so you just haven't been paying attention or believe some American mythology that doesn't begin to come close to the historical realities of how this country was created or how it was developed.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:12 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,247,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So, what's you conclusion? Undo past and prevent future migration?

Just won't happen. I consider this just a new challenge in the path of human evolution. And we better learn how to deal with it before our societies fall apart...
Unfortunately, the cynical side of me would have to admit that the very colonization of America had already sown the seeds of her own eventual self -destruction. A nation built upon endemic and self-perpetuating inter-ethnic power imbalances and identity struggles is just not sustainable in the long term. The problem is that the melting pot model Jefferson had in mind only really works in theory, wherein you had a naturalization system that vowed to accommodate the immigrant only insofar as they worked to assimilate. This system is based on the naive notion that anyone who would consider becoming a US citizen already has assimilation on his mind. The reality is that with the freedom of self-determination also comes the freedom for the immigrant not to assimilate. So in the end we have much more accommodating on the part of the nation than assimilating on the part of the immigrant.

The best we can do at this point is to make an effort to recognize and emphasize commonalities amid diversity, with the understanding that differences are merely givens, not goals or ends in themselves. This is difficult because the lure of maintaining a distinct identity among other competing identities is strong, especially if you happen to belong to a group that has historically suffered oppression at the hands of the same America who at the same time had long sold itself as a "beacon of hope" for oppressed peoples from abroad.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:53 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,357,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I wish you could come up with something more relevant than idiotic Jesse Jackson references.

I wish you could come up with something more than idiotic accusations of racism.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
In my case, it must have been. If someone ever would have the temerity not to hire me, there could be no other reason.

Thanks for that post. I enjoy comedy.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
That would be another distinct possibility. There are lots of people out there jealous of me.

As in the white guy who lost a job due to your affirmative action hire for example....

I'd hate to be the HR director in your workplace.

"Hey! John said I coudn't borrow his stapler because he needed it. But....I know the truth. He just doen't want me to use it because I'm black. That's blatant racism!!!!"

Old 09-16-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I wish you could come up with something more than idiotic accusations of racism.
While racism is indeed idiotic, pointing it out is far from it...........

Old 09-16-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
As in the white guy who lost a job due to your affirmative action hire for example....

I'd hate to be the HR director in your workplace.

"Hey! John said I coudn't borrow his stapler because he needed it. But....I know the truth. He just doen't want me to use it because I'm black. That's blatant racism!!!!"
I'm sorry you couldn't get a job on your own merits and that's you're blaming affirmative action for your inadequacies. As a white man, that's just another example of your own incompetence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies