Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times

Advertisements

Many people here talk about Obama rises up from "humble beginnings."
One poster claimed Obama was raised "with no men in his life" & "money was very tight." She told me I needed to read his books to educate myself.

So, does Obama say these things in his books? Is he making his family look bad to make himself look better?

Here's a quick synopsis of his family:

Barack Obama, Sr.: Attended an exclusive boarding school in Africa. Harvard- Master's in Economics. Government economist for Kenya

Mother: She earned a BA, MA and eventually a PhD in anthropology from U of H. She did some consulting for banks and governments. She actually worked with Timothy Geitner's father. And at the end of her life, she was a policy coordinator for Women's World Banking, which did some work with the UN.

Step-father: MA from U of H. Executive with an oil company.

Grandmother: Bank of Hawaii VP.

1960-1962- lived with mom & dad.
1962-1964- lived with mom & grandparents.
1965-1971- lived with mother & stepfather
1971 on- lived with grandparents so he could attend Punahou School, one of the most exclusive schools in Hawaii. He attended Punahou from 5th-12th grade.

Grandfather died in 1992, when Obama was in his 30s.
Mother & Stepfather divorced with Obama was 19.

So to recap:
*Obama came from a very well-educated family with accomplished careers.
*He lived with his stepfather or grandfather for almost all of his childhood.
*He attended one of the most exclusive private schools in HI.

So, why the disconnect between his actual life and the life people think he led? Is he purposefully misleading people? Or are his supporters on CD just promoting an untrue image for some reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Many people here talk about Obama rises up from "humble beginnings."
One poster claimed Obama was raised "with no men in his life" & "money was very tight." She told me I needed to read his books to educate myself.

So, does Obama say these things in his books? Is he making his family look bad to make himself look better?

Here's a quick synopsis of his family:

Barack Obama, Sr.: Attended an exclusive boarding school in Africa. Harvard- Master's in Economics. Government economist for Kenya

Mother: She earned a BA, MA and eventually a PhD in anthropology from U of H. She did some consulting for banks and governments. She actually worked with Timothy Geitner's father. And at the end of her life, she was a policy coordinator for Women's World Banking, which did some work with the UN.

Step-father: MA from U of H. Executive with an oil company.

Grandmother: Bank of Hawaii VP.

1960-1962- lived with mom & dad.
1962-1964- lived with mom & grandparents.
1965-1971- lived with mother & stepfather
1971 on- lived with grandparents so he could attend Punahou School, one of the most exclusive schools in Hawaii. He attended Punahou from 5th-12th grade.

Grandfather died in 1992, when Obama was in his 30s.
Mother & Stepfather divorced with Obama was 19.

So to recap:
*Obama came from a very well-educated family with accomplished careers.
*He lived with his stepfather or grandfather for almost all of his childhood.
*He attended one of the most exclusive private schools in HI.

So, why the disconnect between his actual life and the life people think he led? Is he purposefully misleading people? Or are his supporters on CD just promoting an untrue image for some reason?
Besides the emotional wreck of a mother and father, 0bama lived a posh life, going to the best of schools,I seriously doubt he was ever wanting for anything financially in his life.

It's because of 0bama's upbringing, that he was encouraged to join Rev. Wright's church. Barack was raised by white people, went to private schools, on an island where people of color are in the majority. 0bama needed the inner city, black church, in order to give him street cred within the community, so he would not be viewed as a rich, half-white kid who was raised by white people in Hawaii; not exactly a life that lends itself to being "down with the struggle".

Last edited by Wapasha; 09-12-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 02:55 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
This question, and every other question about Obama, is answered through understanding of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
It behooves a politician to have at least a "token" religion. After he started down the political path, he choose the Rev. Wright's church to give himself "street cred", as stated by Wapasha above so he would be acceptable to the black voters.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:10 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
0bama needed the inner city, black church, in order to give him street cred within the community, so he would not be viewed as a rich, half-white kid who was raised by white people in Hawaii; not exactly a life that lends itself to being "down with the struggle".

YES, YES, YES.

Otherwise, Obama is not "black" enough.

It reminds me of when Halle Barry won the Academy Award for best actress, and she went on and on about how her award now gives hope to black women everywhere.

She conveniently ignored the facts that:
1) she is half-white and
2) 99% of women...black OR white...do not look like her

But I digress.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Once again, you folks don't know what the hell you're talking about.

You think that you get "street cred" by going to a black church? One of the stupidest things i've ever heard. Street cred? LMAO....some of you have active imaginations. I'm black and i don't even know what the hell that means in political terms as it relates to black people.

How would "street cred" help him with black people in Mound Bayou, Mississippi? Or Mount Airy, North Carolina? Most blacks don't live in Chicago and Detroit. You really believe that black folks in Seattle, Washington knew that he attended Rev. Wright's church? Really?

I mean, these posters using terms like "black enough" as if they have the faintest clue about what that even means. SMH...whatever.

These race based threads are getting more laughable by the day.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Besides the emotional wreck of a mother and father, 0bama lived a posh life, going to the best of schools,I seriously doubt he was never wanting for anything financially in his life.

It's because of 0bama's upbringing, that he was encouraged to join Rev. Wright's church. Barack was raised by white people, went to private schools, on an island where people of color are in the majority. 0bama needed the inner city, black church, in order to give him street cred within the community, so he would not be viewed as a rich, half-white kid who was raised by white people in Hawaii; not exactly a life that lends itself to being "down with the struggle".
"Down with the struggle."

(I'm trying to stop laughing)....Anyway, you guys watch too many movies. Turn the Malcolm X DVD back in to Blockbuster and do some actual talking to the few black people that you might know. Then maybe you won't sound so ridiculous.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
"Down with the struggle."

(I'm trying to stop laughing)....Anyway, you guys watch too many movies. Turn the Malcolm X DVD back in to Blockbuster and do some actual talking to the few black people that you might know. Then maybe you won't sound so ridiculous.

Keep it! Block Buster went bankrupt.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:39 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Keep it! Block Buster went bankrupt.
Was that while Obama was POTUS???

As to the lies about Obama's upbringing,well you got to fool the idiots who all but orgasmed over him and make him out to be 'just like them'...please ignore the actual truth.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Once again, you folks don't know what the hell you're talking about.

You think that you get "street cred" by going to a black church? One of the stupidest things i've ever heard. Street cred? LMAO....some of you have active imaginations. I'm black and i don't even know what the hell that means in political terms as it relates to black people.

How would "street cred" help him with black people in Mound Bayou, Mississippi? Or Mount Airy, North Carolina? Most blacks don't live in Chicago and Detroit. You really believe that black folks in Seattle, Washington knew that he attended Rev. Wright's church? Really?

I mean, these posters using terms like "black enough" as if they have the faintest clue about what that even means. SMH...whatever.

These race based threads are getting more laughable by the day.
See its denials such as this that make the OP's arguement and the corresponding comments that much more credible.

When the black vote is no longer 88% for the Democrats get back to us. Until then nah brah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies