Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:35 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
US President Barack Obama's ratings have plunged at home but he remains
highly popular in Europe, with 75 percent in 12 EU nations

approving his handling of global affairs, a poll said Wednesday.

He is also much better liked than his predecessor George W. Bush, whose rating
in Europe was just 20 percent in 2008, said the Transatlantic Trends poll by the
German Marshall Fund.

Why does the EU love Obama so much more than the US?
They're not judging him through a partisan prism and they can be more objective in their judgement of what he's doing on the world stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Europe loves Obama because he's trying to change our social principles to become more like theirs.
And what values do Europeans have that are so different than ours?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:50 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
Speaking as a European, I'm so glad that we have you Americans to tell us what we're thinking, and why.

If the arcticle is true, I'd suspect that Obama might be better liked over here because we only ever see his public face.
Like him or not, in public, he's a great orator, and seems very amiable.

Your average European isn't exposed to all the "day to day" stuff

If you think of the oft used quote about women, "no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is sick of putting up with her sh1t"

Incidentally, you'll find that as a whole, Europeans don't want the world to be like them, and we don't want the rest of Europe to be like us either.
Sadly, however, our politicians do.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:55 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
And what values do Europeans have that are so different than ours?

I said social values.

#1 - Healthcare should be paid by the government and free for citizens who subsidize it by paying super high taxes.

And that's a major point of his presidency.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I said social values.

#1 - Healthcare should be paid by the government and free for citizens who subsidize it by paying super high taxes.

And that's a major point of his presidency.
So Obamacare = free healthcare?

News to me, I'm still paying over $300 a month for my health plan.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:10 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
So Obamacare = free healthcare?

News to me, I'm still paying over $300 a month for my health plan.
Over $300 per month? Geezuz that's high.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Europeans see through Pub nonsense

Quote:
US President Barack Obama's ratings have plunged at home but he remains
highly popular in Europe, with 75 percent in 12 EU nations

approving his handling of global affairs, a poll said Wednesday.

He is also much better liked than his predecessor George W. Bush, whose rating
in Europe was just 20 percent in 2008, said the Transatlantic Trends poll by the
German Marshall Fund.

Why does the EU love Obama so much more than the US?
Because they are not blind to the glaring weakness that continues to stagger this country: Conservatism.

Europe recognizes the following:

Conservatives elected the village idiot, then wrecked this country over 8 years.

Conservatives supported the attacking of sovereign nations who posed no imminent threat to this country, submerging this country into two worthless and costly wars that decimated the American economy.

Conservatives continue to be the cause of America's economic woos by obstructing the President and cursing Congress and the Supreme Court with their low-class nonsense.

Conservatives continue to represent the bottom of the American society, spouting doomsday scenarios and really stinking up the joint with their childlike, negative, misguided narrative.

Conservatives continue to represent bigotry, racial insensitivity, and be the home of the most severe racists in this country.

Conservatives strive to protect those at the top while everyone else can go to hell.

Europe can see that the great President Obama is being severely hampered by this historically pathetic version of the Republican party, and you can bet that they are hoping that the American people get it right in '12 by booting the sorry Republicans out of Congress and offices nationwide.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Europeans value intellectual thought, whereas 40% of Americans believe it makes you part of "the elite". Obama graduated Columbia and Harvard, despite a middle-class background, and is a great speaker and unifier, so I'm not surprise he's so well-liked over there.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:13 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Yet none of their leaders is black.
Maybe it's the liberal "We love it, as long as it's not in our back yard" mindset?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
President Obama represents the rational in American politics while Bush II represented the thugs and bullies. Europe prefers rational because they remember the thugs. So do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies