Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:49 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,284,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I do, a Bachelor's Degree.

I'm not a scientist, but I believe in science, and to think mankind's contribution to a rapidly warming planet can be dismissed is nothing short of either extreme stupidity or blind ideology.

Pick your poison.
If you believed in science than you would know that naturally occurring water vapour is the greatest contributor to greenhouse gases and that we have had cyclical ice ages for millions of years. Global warming will occur, whether we like it or not, this isn't opinion-- this is fact.

Sure, fossil fuels contribute to global warming-- but that isn't the debate. The debate is over to what extent fossil fuels contribute to global warming. That is where politicians have been using scare tactics for monetary and political gain. They tell you "oh if we just put a cap on CO2 released we can slow global warming." By how long and how much is the question you should be asking. Then ask-- is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:50 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Because how exactly did the earth warm up when the ice age ended? This was before all the "greenhouse gases" that we have now. There have been times in the past when the Earth was hotter than it today and the planet is still here.
Shhhhh....they don't want to talk about when the Earth was a lot warmer and humans weren't around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Hmmm... I wonder if somebody forgot to tell scientists that.

Hardly a " few hundred scientists.
Just because the board and leadership of an org endorses AGW, doesn't mean it's members do. Now, do I have to put up all the dissenting letters and statements from prestigious and relevant scientists that are members of those orgs you listed?

Like...this guy?

Exclusive: Nobel Prize-Winning Physicist Who Endorsed Obama Dissents! Resigns from American Physical Society Over Group's Promotion of Man-Made Global Warming | Climate Depot

Quote:
"In the APS it is ok to discuss whether the mass of the proton changes over time and how a multi-universe behaves, but the evidence of global warming is incontrovertible? The claim (how can you measure the average temperature of the whole earth for a whole year?) is that the temperature has changed from ~288.0 to ~288.8 degree Kelvin in about 150 years, which (if true) means to me is that the temperature has been amazingly stable, and both human health and happiness have definitely improved in this 'warming' period."
Wow. Just look at the burning world!

This expert makes a brilliant statement - want to address it?

Or how about these people?

http://www.climatedepot.com/a/9035/S...-UN-IPCC--Gore

Why is Hockey Stick Mann fighting so, so hard to hide his work at UVA? A simple FOIA request regarding his work, that should be public knowledge.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/09/1...ck/#more-47426

Old 09-16-2011, 12:57 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Maybe read the CRU emails and the numerous discussions they had about urging political and media action as well as promoting the issue and attacking any scientist who questioned the methods and process of their research?
What about those emails?

It is not the house of cards you want us to think it is. They are in no way "proof" that climate change is not happening and the grand conspiracy some think it is.
Quote:
(Reuters) - Emails stolen from one of the world's leading climate change research centers contained no evidence to undermine the case for manmade global warming, a report found on Wednesday.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,466,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What about those emails?

It is not the house of cards you want us to think it is. They are in no way "proof" that climate change is not happening and the grand conspiracy some think it is.
Haha, you're another one who believes that BS. They investigated themselves....lol

Old 09-16-2011, 01:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
Quite the opposite;global warming beleivers beleive in the global intentional conspiracy theory that is mankinds doing. Non-bvelivers beleive its mother natrue as in the past or does not exit.No conspiracy of humans. the one looks at the global warming beleivers;mnakinds comspiracy is the cause of every disaster once it happens.Kind of like Al Gore invented the internet after the fact or his mother wrote the union label song apparently years before to sign it for him.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,092,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Quite the opposite;global warming beleivers beleive in the global intentional conspiracy theory that is mankinds doing. Non-bvelivers beleive its mother natrue as in the past or does not exit.No conspiracy of humans. the one looks at the global warming beleivers;mnakinds comspiracy is the cause of every disaster once it happens.Kind of like Al Gore invented the internet after the fact or his mother wrote the union label song apparently years before to sign it for him.
I don't think you know what "conspiracy" means.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Just because the board and leadership of an org endorses AGW, doesn't mean it's members do.
Actually... yeah. It pretty much means exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene
Now, do I have to put up all the dissenting letters and statements from prestigious and relevant scientists that are members of those orgs you listed?
No. That would be comparing apples to pears.

But if you could come up with a single comparable opposing statement from a respected scientific organization, that might be interesting to look at.

The bad news for you is that the last such organization (The Association of Professional Petroleum Engineers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene
Like...this guy?

Exclusive: Nobel Prize-Winning Physicist Who Endorsed Obama Dissents! Resigns from American Physical Society Over Group's Promotion of Man-Made Global Warming | Climate Depot

Wow. Just look at the burning world!

This expert makes a brilliant statement - want to address it?
Sure.

First off... the statement he is objecting to was published in 2007. What took him so long?

Second, his numbers are wrong.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:18 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,284,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
The Association of Professional Petroleum Engineers
Wow, that's a new one. When did this organization come to exist?

Because this is the first I've heard of it. Care to post a link to their website?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Sure, fossil fuels contribute to global warming-- but that isn't the debate. The debate is over to what extent fossil fuels contribute to global warming. That is where politicians have been using scare tactics for monetary and political gain. They tell you "oh if we just put a cap on CO2 released we can slow global warming." By how long and how much is the question you should be asking. Then ask-- is it worth it?
Is it worth trying to save the planet? We are destroying this planet and if we deny this and think strictly in economic terms, we are all doomed.

Those are not scare tactics, that is reality. There is not another planet we can move to if we destroy this one. By denying our role in the proven record of warming temperatures we delude ourselves into thinking we are powerless to do anything, which is the most transparent lie the climate change denialists use in their inventory.

If we are causing it, we can either stem it or reverse it. What you are seeing is record breaking temperatures and droughts, as well as above average precipitation elsewhere. I've noticed a dramatic change in the Midwest over the past 20 years, and it is backed by the temperature data that is compiled by NASA, amongst other agencies. The past 10 years have been the warmest on record. I've noticed that Spring like weather has disappeared, with the transition from Winter to Summer almost immediate. At least it is where I live.

There is a reason that climate change scientists are in agreement, and there is a reason their models are proving to be correct: They understand science. Their critics do not.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Wow, that's a new one. When did this organization come to exist?

Because this is the first I've heard of it. Care to post a link to their website?
LOL...

You'll note that that sentence ended in mid thought... I was actually in the process of looking up their actual name when I accidentally submitted the post.

It was supposed to be The American Association of Petroleum Geologists. And the point I was going to make was that they were the last respectable scientific organization to oppose the consensus regarding human caused global warming... until 2007 when they changed their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies