Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:52 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons the number of non-income tax payers has reached 50% is Obama's generous child tax credits. If a couple wants to have children good for them. But they shouldn't get any extra tax credits. This is a major reason our deficit is so high.

I am also against free school lunches. 50% of the children in my local school district get free school lunches and now even get free lunch when school is out for the summer, this is an absolute outrage. Parents should support their children and pay for all expenses, not the shrinking pool of taxpayers. Besides it teaches a very bad lesson to the kids...that there IS such thing as a free lunch in this world. .

The worst thing is those same parents (or in many cases today parent) pay no income tax due to credits AND have big government pay for their children's lunch. These parents as much as anybody are to blame for our out of control federal deficit and the overall decline of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 AM

316 posts, read 214,676 times
I agree. I am 40ish and my parents never had such things. I am not against fre lunhes if the parent is temporarily laid off or disabled. After ninety days, laid off parent's case should be reviewed. I know those who cheat the system with their 'special' child. None of them work. the kids are supposed to be homeschooled and they draw food stamps. It is so unfair to responsible people. If you try to cut the benefits we would be accused of child-hating. Parental entitlement has caused the Gosselins of today.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:55 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
One of the reasons the number of non-income tax payers has reached 50% is Obama's generous child tax credits. If a couple wants to have children good for them. But they shouldn't get any extra tax credits. This is a major reason our deficit is so high.
No, our deficit is so high because of ther 2 wars, deregulation, Too much military spending etc.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times
I work in a school cafeteria and the number of kids getting free lunches is huge. When I was in school (60's/early 70's), there were free/reduced lunches, but few kids got them and there was a stigma attached to it - you know, the kids getting it were those who came to school in dirty clothes and ratty hair. Now, with this economy and everyone hit hard, you can't tell.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:38 AM

5,661 posts, read 5,090,317 times
The role of the school is to educate, not feed. Why is anyone getting free food at a school? In elementary school, we had hot lunches (e.g, pizza) available for PURCHASE once a week. Other than that, everyone brought their lunch in a paper bag or a Scooby Doo lunchbox. In high school, the cafeteria was available every day but everyone paid ... or went outside for a smoke in the alley.

Why are schools in the restaurant business? I can see it perhaps as a convenience for students and staff, but providing free food seems outside the mission of the educational system. That's the parents' job. My employer doesn't provide free lunches for me...

Old 09-21-2011, 04:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Ummmm, Obama's?
This has been going on for a lot longer than 2.5 years.

I have no problems feeding anyone, but I do agree with the elimination of tax credits simply for breeding.

What year and month did Working Tax Credits start (changing from Family tax credits)? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
When they say when did you first claim tax credits to the mean Working Tax Credits and Child Tax Credits, or before that when it was Working Families Tax Credit? Its a bit of an odd security question to ask

Family Credits ran from April 1986 to March 1999
Working Families Tax Credit ran from April 1999 to March 2003
Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit started April 2003

I believe your illustrious Bush was in office then.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
No, our deficit is so high because of ther 2 wars, deregulation, Too much military spending etc.
Actually our wars are less 20% of our deficit spending and deregulation doesnt increase deficits one bit. But hey, why post facts when you can run around just rambling on and on.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:37 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
This has nothing to do with Obama. This credit was started a decade ago.

I have nothing against free lunches, but I think food stamps should be lowered in the months where free school lunches are available.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
We need to disband the D.O.E. along with the misguided fools running and let states handle education, lunches, etc.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,787 times
The bottom line is this: Children in America should never go hungry. Period. Unfortunately, we have people raisng children that shouldn't be. Making sure that their kids have breakfast and packing them a lunch isn't a priority, sadly. So, should the children be forced to starve because the parents are complete morons? I vote no. (In some situations the free meals at school are all they get to eat all day) However, I don't feel that anyone should be getting a tax break for having kids. You want them, great, but we aren't giving you any breaks for having them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies