Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,666 times

Advertisements

I don't know their personal situations. Some may really be down on their luck, but I could only say that you should NEVER give cash to the beneficiary directly. It is just like feeding a stray cat. It's a common knowledge that good amount of panhandlers obtain money fraudulent, that is through providing false reason for needing money.

"hungry want food" is one of the most common ones. "I'm a vet" is another common appeal to emotion.

1.) Homeless are often given much less rigorous proof of residency & duration of residence requirements. They're not expected to produce proof of income, therefore "food stamps" are readily available. Some states even offer them additional accommodation allowing for purchase of in-store meals to these exempt personnel.

2.) The VA offers far more generous support to vets in education, welfare and health care, but of course, you actually have to be a veteran.

3.) You know darn well the income isn't reported, which encourages tax evasion and exploitation of services with income cap, such as public housing.

NOT giving cash to strangers is caring for community.

Two women crafted a story about their infant dying and needing money for funeral. Scammed people $650.

Someone called police to complain about their aggressive panhandling involving walking out into the road.

These scumbags though, could not answer detailed questions about the baby.

Police officer gave them the benefit of doubt did not give a hard time on scene.

The attentive officer from the Modesto Police checked with the coroners office. Found that there was no infant matching the name. The two scumbags were arrested and charged with conspiring to defraud and obtaining money under false pretense.

Good work. I hope these scumbags get hit by a bus next time.

2 Women Arrested In Dead Baby Donation Scam - Sacramento News Story - KCRA Sacramento (http://www.kcra.com/r/28287635/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 05:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I consider panhandling to be a form of theater and pay the actors every once in a while if they are doing a good job. Recently these folks have created a scam involving asking for money for a bus ticket home. I offer to take them to the ticket counter and pay the fare. Naturally this "offer" is rejected. I then tell them to take acting lessons as they are not very good at it.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I consider panhandling to be a form of theater and pay the actors every once in a while if they are doing a good job. Recently these folks have created a scam involving asking for money for a bus ticket home. I offer to take them to the ticket counter and pay the fare. Naturally this "offer" is rejected. I then tell them to take acting lessons as they are not very good at it.
I had a similar experience recently. Woman outside Target asking for money to buy diapers for her baby. I offered to buy her the diapers and asked her to tell me what brand/size she wanted. Her response: F*** Y** B****. Dumbass didn't even think that she could have returned the diapers for cash.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
These are tought times for a lot of people. We could do a lot better but we won't so long as the bankers hold us in thrall to unwanted debt.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:52 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Nothing worse than being accosted by the fire department wanting money by blocking intersections and holding out a boot. I pay over $9K in property taxes so not one penny more.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Nothing worse than being accosted by the fire department wanting money by blocking intersections and holding out a boot.
Sure there is. When cashiers ask you during a transaction if you also want to donate a dollar to whatever cause, then you are in a position of obviously having the resources right there to give money and being forced to say "no" to opt-out instead of being able to ignore.

I love standing there with bag-boy putting wine, steaks, and crab legs into a plastic bag as I tell the cashier I just can't afford to give to the breast cancer foundation today.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Sure there is. When cashiers ask you during a transaction if you also want to donate a dollar to whatever cause, then you are in a position of obviously having the resources right there to give money and being forced to say "no" to opt-out instead of being able to ignore.

I love standing there with bag-boy putting wine, steaks, and crab legs into a plastic bag as I tell the cashier I just can't afford to give to the breast cancer foundation today.

I have read stories of seniors that carry business cards that read " I am on a fixed income. I cannot afford to leave a tip." when they go out to dinner. This is after they have been ordering top-shelf alchohol all night and expensive entrees.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
I sat in the Wal-Mart parking lot last night watching this chick run the AWESOMEST scam I've ever seen.

She approached me waving a dollar bill in the air as I was starting up my car to leave. I rolled down my window and asked what she needed and she said she didn't have enough gas to get home, she only had $1, could I give her "a couple dollars so I can at least get a gallon of gas." I apologized and said I didn't carry cash and she walked off.

I sat there and watched her approach a couple of young black men who were also getting in their car to leave. Same schtick: waved the dollar bill in the air to get their attention, then asked them for cash. One of them quickly opened up his wallet, pulled out a few dollar bills and gave them to her.

As they drove off, she acted like she was walking toward her car. Then when they were out of sight, I saw this b---- put all the money in her pocket except $1, approach another dude, and give him the same line! That dude also gave her money without hesitation, then once he was gone, she again concealed all the cash except $1 and found her next victim.

This chick was young and cute (I'd hit it), and she was obviously seeking out young males between 18-30. Most of them couldn't get their wallets out fast enough to give this girl money. In the 15 minutes I watched her, she raked in a SOLID $40... and that is assuming all the bills she received were ones. If one or two guys slipped a five or ten in there, her loot was even more impressive.

$40+ in 15 minutes equals out to over $150/hour in pure, tax-free profit! That is a doctor wage! I bet this chick is one of the 9.2% that is "unemployed"... but I doubt she will be motivated to find a real, 40 hour per week job anytime soon!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I sat in the Wal-Mart parking lot last night watching this chick run the AWESOMEST scam I've ever seen.

She approached me waving a dollar bill in the air as I was starting up my car to leave. I rolled down my window and asked what she needed and she said she didn't have enough gas to get home, she only had $1, could I give her "a couple dollars so I can at least get a gallon of gas." I apologized and said I didn't carry cash and she walked off.

I sat there and watched her approach a couple of young black men who were also getting in their car to leave. Same schtick: waved the dollar bill in the air to get their attention, then asked them for cash. One of them quickly opened up his wallet, pulled out a few dollar bills and gave them to her.

As they drove off, she acted like she was walking toward her car. Then when they were out of sight, I saw this b---- put all the money in her pocket except $1, approach another dude, and give him the same line! That dude also gave her money without hesitation, then once he was gone, she again concealed all the cash except $1 and found her next victim.

This chick was young and cute (I'd hit it), and she was obviously seeking out young males between 18-30. Most of them couldn't get their wallets out fast enough to give this girl money. In the 15 minutes I watched her, she raked in a SOLID $40... and that is assuming all the bills she received were ones. If one or two guys slipped a five or ten in there, her loot was even more impressive.

$40+ in 15 minutes equals out to over $150/hour in pure, tax-free profit! That is a doctor wage! I bet this chick is one of the 9.2% that is "unemployed"... but I doubt she will be motivated to find a real, 40 hour per week job anytime soon!
I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago...same MO,hot chick needing gas money....we have several colleges nearby so it must be a viral thing I hadn't heard of...I gave her a $5

Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Your question answers itself. "It's a common knowledge that good amount of panhandlers obtain money fraudulent. As in fraud which is a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies