Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Why do (most) minorities (gays, blacks, latinos, etc) keep demanding respect and acceptance??? Isn't that something that is earned??

DO YOU think you just earned ANY respect with this thread??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:05 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
DO YOU think you just earned ANY respect with this thread??????

Does earning the respect of a bunch of anonymous strangers on the Internet matter to you?

Old 09-23-2011, 06:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Dont let him pull you in.
Ohh, folks just don't know. I'm just chilling.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:29 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
Say that to my face. LOLOLOLOL.
I left that on the other side of the road, but you're still carrying it.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Great example. Collegiality is something that a lot of conservatives and whites do not want to extend to gays and people of color. Whites and conservatives (democrat and republican) hold themselves as superior but collegiality is not permitted to minorities from what I have seen in many cases in my own personal life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When I hold a door for someone coming out of a store, I do so as a courtesy a sign of respect. I don't know the person thus they have not earned the privilege it is simply conferred due to their being a fellow human being. The same goes to issues of rights, as a fellow citizen I respect the rights of others, which is not earned by anything other than being a fellow citizen, another human. Minorities ask for no more respect than for their rights as citizens. No one is asking for them to be treated with reverence.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 PM

521 posts, read 467,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
There are two kinds of respect. One is respect people as human beings, and the other is respecting people for their accomplishments, choices, etc. MInorities only want the respect that comes with being a human being. The kind of respect that is earned is the kind that is based on something someone has done or chosen. A doctor earns respect for making the choice to go to medical school. In the doctor's office, that doctor deserves respect for their knowledge and expertise. On the metro or in the street, that same doctor deserves to be respected as a human being by not having their personal space and fundamental human rights violated. When minorities talk about wanting respect, they are not asking to have special rights afforded them the same way a doctor is allowed to legally practice medicine. They are talking about being respected as human beings by not having their fundamental human rights violated.

Demanding the earned kind of respect will never work. But demanding respect for being a human being is the only way people who aren't yet given basic human rights will get that base level of respect.
wrong

Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Why do (most) minorities (gays, blacks, latinos, etc) keep demanding respect and acceptance??? Isn't that something that is earned??
The funny part about this question, is that if you actually look at what has occurred throughout US history, the one group that was the most demanding of "acceptance" and "respect", to the point of terrorizing other groups and forcing legalized discrimination in their zeal to obtain it, is straight, white, protestant men.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
These idiots just find it easy to jack off to hate filled posts online in an anonymous fashion. I pray we have some type of meet and greet for City Data one day, I really do. I would LOVE to meet some of these characters. I wouldn't back out of that for anything.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:42 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
say that to my face, and you'll see bitter.
Gotta love the internet tough guys!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:00 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Ain't that the truth. We'd never have problems in America if they'd just learn how to stay in their place..............

You're a perfect example of my previous post. I can just see you out there in life.....at the airport for example

Sky cap: "Excuse me sir....is this your bag?"

Lucario: "Yeah! That's my muther effing bag!!! What!!?? A Black man isn't supposed to have a muther effing suitcase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies