Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:26 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Is that enough? In my experience, many gifted kids' ability and skill levels are multiple grade-levels ahead of their peers. They need a radically differentiated curriculum that encompasses additional breadth and a MUCH faster pace of learning.

Pushing a kid one year ahead isn't going to do it.
Absolutely right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:26 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Every teacher I know would agree with you - SOMETHING does need to be done. However, the "something" that really needs to be done, which is to provide services for these very poor kids, is exactly what so many right wingers on this board want to cut.
Are you joking? They already get the LION'S share of distributed resources now, and it isn't doing any good.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Agree 100%. Enough with the one-size-fits-all nonsense and making sure everyone gets a trophy. Everyone does not deserve a trophy just for showing up.
If kids are smarter than their peers they should be recognzed as such and educated accordingly.
Excellent point and something I would like to see more of. My daughter had to skip two grades to even approach being challenged and still finds many of her classes incredibly boring - mainly those classes that teach to the lowest common denominator. Loves her electives because they're college level but Global Studies, for example, is such a dumbed down class and our state has some of the highest standards. Can't imagine what it would be for states with really low standards. Eek.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
As long as the state also opts out of receiving Federal money for public education let them opt out.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
As long as the state also opts out of receiving Federal money for public education let them opt out.
Does this mean the state's citizens can opt out of that portion of our taxes that go for this too? I would be ALL for that!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Calculus. Hell they don't even have a curriculum where you can get into calculus until your a senior around here. My oldest is a freshman this year and they are just now starting geometry. I remember taking that in seventh grade back in the day.
In what day and in what school system? I was a math teacher from 1967 - 2003, in the 4th largest school district in the nation. We did not start pushing accelerated math to middle school students until the 90s and even then, high school level geometry was not offered to 7th grade students.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:29 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Are you joking? They already get the LION'S share of distributed resources now, and it isn't doing any good.
Thanks for proving my point.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
Is that enough? In my experience, many gifted kids' ability and skill levels are multiple grade-levels ahead of their peers. They need a radically differentiated curriculum that encompasses additional breadth and a MUCH faster pace of learning.
I was in GT classes in school, and I was pushed 1 grade ahead. There is a vast difference for one grade advancement, especially in the younger years.

Her kindergarten classmates could barely read and write, which is why she was pushed one class year ahead.

She's been reading and writing since she was 2 years of age (partly due to her brother, who was also reading in and writing since he was 2). she never attended pre-school.

they also take notice that if the child isn't socially or emotionally ready, they put them in the appropriate class level for their learning abilities. I can't see my niece being in a 2nd grade or 3rd grade class, since this is her first time to be in a school setting.

Quote:
Pushing a kid one year ahead isn't going to do it.
Actually, in kindergarten to first grade, its a whole world of difference. Where Kindergarten, they are making up for those children who didn't attend pre-school (and starting to learn basic skills like writing and reading); 1st grade they are actually teaching kids.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:35 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
High time a President moved to weaken this law! The article slants it as being Bush' fault, calling it a "Bush-Era education law" but really it was a bi-partisan screw up that got dumped on the states by BOTH parties.

Obama rolling back Bush-era education law - Yahoo! News
Can we opt of of 0bamaCare too?

Old 09-23-2011, 12:47 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Just to beat a dead horse. Only THREE states have set "world class standards". Massachusetts, South Carolina, and Missouri. Guess our standards in South Carolina are just tougher than those in New York.

Few States Set World-Class Standards : Education Next
Now hold on ..... my esteemed Governor says different!

State requests waiver on No Child Left Behind - NewsTimes

"As I understand what the president has laid down is, on a state-by-state basis, a waiver can be requested which would actually have to speak in detail to the standards that would be applied within the state," said Malloy. "I anticipate that we would be looking at a waiver that speaks to what is obviously a higher standard already being applied in Connecticut by our state system."

Malloy called the state's Connecticut Mastery Test and Connecticut Academic Performance Test, which are used to measure schools in the state, more rigorous than tests given in other states.

Just about everyone claims their state is tougher than everyone elses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies