Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,875,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Cash is another option. I may start building mattresses with a safe in em.
How about opening several accounts, get debit cards for them and never use them. That would make BOA go to the expense of the cards and if you don't use them, there are no fees to be assessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,769,803 times
This is compliments of our dopey government. Ready, fire, aim. What a bunch of dopes, talk about unintended consequences.

"Starting Oct. 1, a regulation will cap the fees that banks can collect from merchants whenever customers swipe their debit cards. Those fees had generated $19 billion in revenue for banks in 2009, according to the Nilson Report, which tracks the payments industry.
There is no similar cap for the fees that banks can collect from merchants when customers use their credit cards, however. That means banks may increasingly encourage customers to reach for their credit cards, reversing a trend toward debit card usage in the past several years."

Bank of America to charge $5 debit card fee - Yahoo! Finance=

Here is a real life example of how damaging regulations can be.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 PM

27,170 posts, read 15,352,042 times
Hmmm.....time for a change.
Credit Union sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by bluesjuke; 09-29-2011 at 12:31 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
How about opening several accounts, get debit cards for them and never use them. That would make BOA go to the expense of the cards and if you don't use them, there are no fees to be assessed.

There are fees, they charge $12 per month for accounts with less than $1500 in them.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,949,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Bank of America to charge $5 debit card fee (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BANK_OF_AMERICA_DEBIT_FEE?SITE=NCAGW&SECTION=HO ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT - broken link)

The return of the check book is near.

Or maybe there's another option.
Like cash?

If you spend in cash you spend less money and are apt to make fewer impulse purchases. If my bank did this they could have my debit card back.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:28 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,875,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
There are fees, they charge $12 per month for accounts with less than $1500 in them.
My bank doesn't, but maybe that's because I'm old. Does BOA charge that to seniors?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
My bank doesn't, but maybe that's because I'm old. Does BOA charge that to seniors?

I don't know, according to the link:

WORLD Magazine | Today's News, Christian Views (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BANK_OF_AMERICA_DEBIT_FEE?SITE=NCAGW&SECTION=HO ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT - broken link)

"The fee will apply to basic accounts and will be in addition to any monthly fees customers are already being charged. For example, one of the bank's basic accounts already charges a $12 monthly fee unless customers meet certain conditions, such as maintaining a minimum average balance of $1,500."

Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,928,398 times
wells fargo is going to do the same thing.

if ING ever does this ill bail.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,372,595 times
All the banks in my area are doing this, I've been a customer for over 30 years and now I get this $5. fee.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Bank of America to charge $5 debit card fee (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BANK_OF_AMERICA_DEBIT_FEE?SITE=NCAGW&SECTION=HO ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT - broken link)

The return of the check book is near.

Or maybe there's another option.
So rather than use a direct debit payment for my mortgage, I can send BoA a check. They'll have to hire someone to open the envelope, another someone to process the check, an additional someone to collect the processed checks and raise rates to cover the expense to return checks to the banks on which they are drawn.

Twelve Senate Republicans crossed the isle to contribute to this consumer abuse...

Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga.
Johnny Isakson, R-Ga.
Richard Lugar, R-Ind.
Charles Grassley, R-Iowa
David Vitter, R-La.
Scott Brown, R-Mass.
Susan Collins, R-Maine
Olympia Snowe, R-Maine
Richard Burr, R-N.C.
Lindsay Graham, R-S.C.
John Barasso, R-Wyo.
Mike Enzi, R-Wyo.

The PJ Tatler » Thank Your Nearest Democrat: Your Bank is About to Jack Up Your Debit Card Fee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies