Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:27 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,944 times

Advertisements

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt folks,maybe they are just raising money to pay us,the taxpayers back...I'm sure it's something honest like that.

Follow the money: Bailout tracker - CNNMoney.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When debit cards were introduced, one of the advantages cited was that debit cards saved the banks billions of dollars, because the consumer was able to manage all sorts of transactions personally, without using bank staff. Now that their use has become so widespread, banks are trying to maximize their profits, claiming the caps on the fees they charged merchants hurt their bottom line. This isn't the fault of Democrats, or legislators. It's greed on the parts of banks.

No, this is what you get when government tells businesses how to price their products.

Government price controls destroy the balance that comes with a free market.

But they sure make politicians look good.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:33 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,933 times
If they follow through with this i'm closing my account.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
I bank with the local credit union

Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I bank with the local credit union

ditto

Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
If they follow through with this i'm closing my account.

Yep, me too. It will be a pain because I've had my account for SO long and I've got so much automatic stuff coming out of it, but I won't pay this fee. Period.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:48 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Exclamation Banks going to start to charge monthly fees for using your debit card

Bank of America to Add $5 Monthly Debit Card Fee - Forbes

Some banks are starting now others early next year. Who will be hit the hardest? Students who don't have a credit card, people who maxed out their credit card....

And all because the government is going hard after the banks and in the end the consumer is the one paying the fees!

Thanks Obama, Dodd, Frank! Another way of giving us a harder time.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
The banks are just tacking fees on the products that had no fees to make up for the fees they had to give up under that Consumer bill that was passed to ......HELP THE CONSUMER.

Do you feel like you've been helped ? Doesn't it feel good to know that the banks worked with Congress to write that bill to make sure YOU WERE HELPED ?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:56 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Bank of America to Add $5 Monthly Debit Card Fee - Forbes

Some banks are starting now others early next year. Who will be hit the hardest? Students who don't have a credit card, people who maxed out their credit card....

And all because the government is going hard after the banks and in the end the consumer is the one paying the fees!

Thanks Obama, Dodd, Frank! Another way of giving us a harder time.
For all your rambling about responsibility, you sure seem quick to exculpate the banks for their own actions. Interesting.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, this is what you get when government tells businesses how to price their products.

Government price controls destroy the balance that comes with a free market.

But they sure make politicians look good.
I truly do empathize with your point of view. Generally, I do support free markets. I just think that banks and the finance industry in general, have developed a culture that overcompensates their management, at the expense of the public. Bank of America is a very good example of that, their management is grossly overcompensated, and their customer service is regularly cited as one of the worst in the industry.

The thing is, as a country, we want people to use banks, we want banks to invest in communities. We want people to make investments, and to start businesses, we want a thriving economy, and banks have a key role in that. Government intercession is often problematic, and yet it's also often necessary. Usury was, and sometimes still is, a problem in the loan industry. The government prohibits usury. That's an example of the government telling a business how to price their products. Do you remember the Hunt Brothers and their move to corner the silver market? The government stopped that, because they could have held industry hostage by pricing silver incredibly high. That's an example of the government telling business how to price their products. Government intercession is problematic, but sometimes it's just necessary.

I don't think much of this law. It was essentially gutted during the negotiation process, and frankly, while there seems to be no problem with the quantity of laws coming out of our Congresses these days, there does seem to be a problem with the quality of those laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies