Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,141,678 times

Advertisements

These smoking Nazis have finally gone off the deep end. In Iowa, Mercy Medical Center will test those people who apply for work there, and if they detect nicotine in their blood, they will refuse them employment.

Des Moines’ largest hospital plans to start testing prospective employees for the presence of nicotine to ensure that the company is not hiring smokers. Mercy Medical

Center-Des Moines said the new policy will take effect July 1. Any job applicant whose urine test comes up positive for nicotine will have to wait six months to apply again for a job at Mercy’s hospitals or clinics.

Mercy said it is the first Iowa hospital company to take the step.

“We recognize smoking or using tobacco products is not illegal,” Chief Human Resources Officer Robyn Wilkinson said in a press release. “However, our employees have an obligation to set a good example for the communities we serve. By implementing a nicotine-free hiring policy, Mercy will be expecting its employees to model the same healthy behaviors it encourages of its patients and their family members.”

Mercy Medical Center will no longer hire smokers

What tyranny is this? Smoking is not illegal, especially when you smoke or chew tobacco at home. whether a person is smoking the occasional cigar, pipe, cigarette or chews tobacco should be of no concern to an employer.

What's next, refusing employment to single people who sleep around, for fear they may contract VD? Or even worse, refusing employment to gays, since they score highest on the risk factor for contracting HIV AIDS?

What comes after that, refusing people employment for being over a certain weight, or for eating too much red meat, or pork?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:16 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times
I think this will get over turned eventually.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 AM

45,217 posts, read 26,427,822 times
As an employer, I should be able to hire whomever best meets my requirement's for the assigned job duties.

However, if I want to limit an entire group because of personal habit, my availiable talent pool will shrink as a result.

The alternative is government stepping in to determine who I can hire.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,560 times
Airlines will not hire flight attendants over a certain weight. They don't advertise this but you have to be able to sit in their JUMP SEATS, if you don't fit, you don't get hired.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:24 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I think this will get over turned eventually.
On what grounds?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
On what grounds?
Discrimination.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Airlines will not hire flight attendants over a certain weight. They don't advertise this but you have to be able to sit in their JUMP SEATS, if you don't fit, you don't get hired.
That's different. If you can't perform your job, you can't work there. How does smoking keep someone from performing their jobs? That wasn't a basis for the decision.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Discrimination.
Not likely

Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 AM

855 posts, read 1,172,918 times
it's for medical personnel...and I AGREE with that policy. Medical personnel should set a good example. Also, there is nothing worse than someone all in your face during a physical who reeks of smoke!

I guess it could also be applied to alcohol consumption, since that is also an unhealthy behavior, though that behavior would be more obvious if an employee was caught drinking on the job. I dunno. Where would the scrutiny end, though?

But then again, an employer has the right to test for whatever they want if an employee agrees to be employed by that particular company. If they don't want to be tested they don't have to work there

Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
These smoking Nazis have finally gone off the deep end. In Iowa, Mercy Medical Center will test those people who apply for work there, and if they detect nicotine in their blood, they will refuse them employment.

Des Moines’ largest hospital plans to start testing prospective employees for the presence of nicotine to ensure that the company is not hiring smokers. Mercy Medical

Center-Des Moines said the new policy will take effect July 1. Any job applicant whose urine test comes up positive for nicotine will have to wait six months to apply again for a job at Mercy’s hospitals or clinics.

Mercy said it is the first Iowa hospital company to take the step.

“We recognize smoking or using tobacco products is not illegal,” Chief Human Resources Officer Robyn Wilkinson said in a press release. “However, our employees have an obligation to set a good example for the communities we serve. By implementing a nicotine-free hiring policy, Mercy will be expecting its employees to model the same healthy behaviors it encourages of its patients and their family members.”

Mercy Medical Center will no longer hire smokers

What tyranny is this? Smoking is not illegal, especially when you smoke or chew tobacco at home. whether a person is smoking the occasional cigar, pipe, cigarette or chews tobacco should be of no concern to an employer.

What's next, refusing employment to single people who sleep around, for fear they may contract VD? Or even worse, refusing employment to gays, since they score highest on the risk factor for contracting HIV AIDS?

What comes after that, refusing people employment for being over a certain weight, or for eating too much red meat, or pork?

Considering that it isn't illegal to purchase and smoke cigarettes, this should not be allowed! The Cleveland Clinic also has this policy in effect. I would imagine that more hospitals are going to follow suit. It really is a sad state of affairs in this country. Between employers telling us how to live, and the government telling us how to live, I don't know which is worse? Here's a thought! STAY THE F*** OUT OF MY PERSONAL LIFE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies