Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 09:45 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,126,242 times

Advertisements

“It’s Going to Get a Lot Worse”: ECRI’s Achuthan Says New Recession Unavoidable | Daily Ticker - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:54 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,230,936 times
I think I'll pass on the Economic Cycle Research Institute's assessment of the current economic situation.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:47 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,302,484 times
When assessing any news today you have to consider the motivation of the people supplying it.
The major media is corporate owned and only wants to print positive news, because corporations have a vested interest in keeping the people spending money.
Precious metals and survival food dealers will print articles telling you to prepare for Armageddon so they can sell you what they sell.
It takes a lot of personal research to come to a reasonable conclusion about how bad things really are.
The article you provide uses only ERCI as an economic indicator.
There are many economic indicators including copper prices, shipping indexes, trucking indexes, rail indexes, consumer credit, employment participation rate, stock markets, etc.
Government published economic indicators need to be taken with a grain of salt as they are constructed by bureaucrats, who work for politicians, who have a vested interest in always trying to make everything appear to be better than it actually is.

My personal research leads me to the conclusion that we are in for rough times going forward.
The deleveraging of too much debt must continue until debt is at a reasonable level. Transferring it from the private sector to the public sector simply creates crises in government budgets, and limits government’s ability to react to crisis.
We find this governmental budget crisis worldwide now in the US, Europe, and Asia.
It is not economic crisis that worries me though, it is the fact that historically, world wide economic crisis almost always leads to war.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:48 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,474,757 times
I don't think any educated person needs the news to let us know what we ourselves already know and are prepared for. We have been in a recession, take a good long hard look around, no news needed to tell us what we already know. And yes many of us know that we are in for some tough times ahead, with the recession not going to be over any time soon, no matter the great picture that is painted.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:13 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,397,006 times
Economies that mean something to the average American are local. Some local economies have been in recession, and even depression, for years. A recession would be welcomed in some paces in America.

I think that most Americans are resolved that things will get worse before they get better, if in fact they ever do. Governments (Federal, State and local) will continue to send out their cheerleaders but most Americans know that their wallets are slowly getting thinner and they know things are getting worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies