Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,865,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
They are and that is why many are either not going to use a bank or move to a CU. And then the likes of bofa will have really stepped on their cranks.
Yeah! Kill Bofa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Major banks rely on major blind supporters of their whims.
I'm not using BoA any more. But I now have less choice. I guess I should blindly support the gov't instead right? Even when they do restrict my choice?

And there are no "whims" in business. Businesses are not run by emotion or spontaneous unplanned decisions. If I were to wake up one day and institute price hikes on all my customers, I'd be screwed. Unless of course all my competition did the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,760,181 times
Quote:
They are and that is why many are either not going to use a bank or move to a CU. And then the likes of bofa will have really stepped on their cranks.
That's a good thing. That will keep banking competitive.

Now if we could just get the government out of the way......

Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,865,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That's a good thing. That will keep banking competitive.
No it won't. It has shrunk competition. Do we have more choice or less choice now for free debit cards than we did last week?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,837,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yeah! Kill Bofa!

I'm not using BoA any more. But I now have less choice. I guess I should blindly support the gov't instead right? Even when they do restrict my choice?
The government didn't, the bank did. See, you can't support anything blindly, but you do oppose anything blindly... as long as the issue at hand bodes well with your whims. You've become a slave to these businesses.

You don't need "choices" that take you for a ride, you need only a good bank. Look around and you may find one, or two. I did.

Quote:
And there are no "whims" in business. Businesses are not run by emotion or spontaneous unplanned decisions. If I were to wake up one day and institute price hikes on all my customers, I'd be screwed. Unless of course all my competition did the same.
You wish, but it is generally the major banks that are vehemently opposed to the finance reform (small banks are wary of side effects but not opposed to it, because the reform technically supports their cause). And these mega banks have got you speaking for them, for free.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 623 times
Default Blaming Obama

There you go blaming Obama. Your so quick to blame and the reasons are obvious. It doesn't matter if you're basing your accusations on fact or not. In fact Obama was against this practice by the bank to charge fees to their customers. You do have free choice in where you bank! Or is Obama the blame for that too. You can't blame EVERYTHING on Obama, he didn't make the choice as to where you should keep your money.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,414,055 times
Quote:
Look up the following bankers and their history....JP Morgan, Rothschild, The Warberg's and the Rockefeller's. Amongst their many not so honorable accomplishments they funded the US and our enemies in both WWI and WWII, all in the name of "profits".

That should take you a while to get your arms around. Once your get your arms around thst, let's go back to the table and discuss profits.
Yes, by all means let's discuss profits. In North Korea, they have no profits and many people eat grass and tree bark from time to time. It would be tough to get to that profitless paradise, but you could do it.

Cubans would starve without the black market, their only source of profits. It would be much easier to get there.

Was every dollar of profit ever made for a noble cause? You are absolutely right, the answer is "no." But every piece of material that went into my house, everything in my house, every meal I have ever eaten, every car I have ever owned, every article of clothing...was provided to me by the profit motive.

That same motive was behind every paycheck I ever got, too, and profits are the direct source of my current income. I earn them by providing goods and services for which my customers freely pay, after considering hundreds of competitors of mine. Each of these hundreds want more profits so daily are figuring out how to improve the products and services they offer.

That's what profits are about.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Yes, by all means let's discuss profits. In North Korea, they have no profits and many people eat grass and tree bark from time to time. It would be tough to get to that profitless paradise, but you could do it.

Cubans would starve without the black market, their only source of profits. It would be much easier to get there.

Was every dollar of profit ever made for a noble cause? You are absolutely right, the answer is "no." But every piece of material that went into my house, everything in my house, every meal I have ever eaten, every car I have ever owned, every article of clothing...was provided to me by the profit motive.

That same motive was behind every paycheck I ever got, too, and profits are the direct source of my current income. I earn them by providing goods and services for which my customers freely pay, after considering hundreds of competitors of mine. Each of these hundreds want more profits so daily are figuring out how to improve the products and services they offer.

That's what profits are about.
And there are no middle grounds? The world must be either anarchist or micro-managed? The only country you can think of is Cuba and North Korea? Why not Germany, England, France, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:04 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,414,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And there are no middle grounds? The world must be either anarchist or micro-managed? The only country you can think of is Cuba and North Korea? Why not Germany, England, France, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden?
The source of all prosperity in Germany, England, France, Denmark, Norway, Finland, and Sweden is also profits.

I used Cuba and North Korea as the purest examples of the lack of the profit motive.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The source of all prosperity in Germany, England, France, Denmark, Norway, Finland, and Sweden is also profits.

I used Cuba and North Korea as the purest examples of the lack of the profit motive.
Nazis had a lot of businesses profit, and Fascists were all about corporate culture, unlike Cuba and North Korea, but it would be lame to make an argument on it, just as it is using Cuba and North Korea, got government involvement.

Now you do recognize that Germany etc have businesses thriving, yet you fail to see government involvement in those countries. Simply out of political convenience or are you really unaware?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,760,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
No it won't. It has shrunk competition. Do we have more choice or less choice now for free debit cards than we did last week?

I was referring to ChromeKitty's decision to move her business to a CU.... not the government telling banks what they can charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies