Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:29 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
There is/was a famous gay athlete, can't remember what sport, just a few years ago I believe...
OutSports
Out Athletes

Old 10-13-2011, 01:30 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
We had gay role models in the 50s.

It's just that I didn't realize it till just now.

Lone Ranger, The - Trailer (1956) - YouTube

Old 10-13-2011, 01:59 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I grew up not knowing any gay figures, and, I turned out ok.

HINT: I had good parents.
Problem is many kids DON'T.......have good parents....you're read some of the vile posters in this forum and some of them have children......how do you think they will turn out.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I can't wait for the day a current, popular NFL player (or group of players) comes out.
A Gay Football Player, 'Alone in the Trenches' : NPR

Esera Tuaolo, Former NFL Player, Comes Out as Gay

Esera Tuaolo Talks to NFL Employees About Being Gay

Old 10-13-2011, 02:11 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Problem is many kids DON'T.......have good parents....you're read some of the vile posters in this forum and some of them have children......how do you think they will turn out.

If parents kick out their kid before 18, that sounds like child abuse -- kid should call the cops.
If you grow up in a home with backwards parents, keep it to yourself and then move out when you can. If they don't accept you, hey, that's 2 less christmas gifts to buy from now on.

What is having a gay pop star, or athelete, or any type of role model who is gay going to do for kids who come from backwards homes? There are kids today from crazy families, with role models, and yet.. they still live in a crappy home.. or turn out bad.

If ANYthing it's PARENTS who need to see well rounded role models. It shouldn't be just about sexual orientation. Should be parents who see other parents who don't care that their son is gay, their one daughter married a black guy, their other son is dating a peurto rican.

Being a role model should be about WHO you are and not so much what. How many black women grew up in crappy homes, but they had Oprah to look up at...and YET, still turned out crappy?

Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
We had gay role models in the 50s.

It's just that I didn't realize it till just now.

Lone Ranger, The - Trailer (1956) - YouTube
In the 1960's as well.....LOL.....Like from Bewitched(Dick Sargent) and the Brady Bunch(Robert Reed)....but at the time we all just thought Paul Lynde and Charles Nelson Riley were it. .

Awkward Brady Bunch Moment - YouTube

Dick Sargent gooses Liz - YouTube

Old 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
oh god. if you can't understand why gay kids feel so isolated, look at some of the posts insensitive towards what they go through. it's more than do good works, be a good person and get over it blah blah blah.

there are kids out here killing themselves because they have no one to confide in and look up to. the world's a much meaner and relentless place compared to how it was back in the day. i'm not saying every celebrity needs to be a champion of gay causes, but i think that public figures with an intelligent voice can make a difference for some of these kids.
The world is a cold cruel place for everyone, if one can't handle it that's what they call evolution of the species...

Mankind didn't get where they are today by being wimps and crybabies...

Old 10-13-2011, 02:36 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
How am I harboring great anger? Because I'm gay and I don't care about "GAY" stuff? I get this from a lot of people. I get invitations for "GAY SKATING NIGHT AT ____" "GAY BINGO AT _____" "GAY DAY AT SIX FLAGS!"

Why do I have to do these things so I can be around other gay people? Why can't I just play bingo with other... people?

It's ok to segregate ourselves, be heaven forbid others do it against us? Come on. Stop wanting special treatment and maybe we'll get taken seriously.

But I'm DYING to know: How am I showing much anger? Please explain.
I guess if you don't want to go to Gay Skating Night, you don't have to. That isn't for you, fine. But I know my son would benefit from something like this. He found the courage to come from his gay teacher and the GSA at his high school. He needed that support group before he could take the next step.

If you don't need that, good for you, seriously. I'm glad you are totally well-adjusted. But don't begrudge others that enjoy that sense of community.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:42 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
by the way, Hotmess, I do agree with 95% of your other (political) posts. In many ways, I'm a conservative. So I hope I don't come off as mean to you.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I guess if you don't want to go to Gay Skating Night, you don't have to. That isn't for you, fine. But I know my son would benefit from something like this. He found the courage to come from his gay teacher and the GSA at his high school. He needed that support group before he could take the next step.

If you don't need that, good for you, seriously. I'm glad you are totally well-adjusted. But don't begrudge others that enjoy that sense of community.
Touche'..........I had a very difficult time growing up in the 60's and coming out in the mid seventies.......I for one would have welcomed having a role model...in my day I thought I was crazy and the only person who felt this way.

Everyone deals with growing up differently and needs role models for strength and guidance(and even more so when they are gay)....I find it unbelieveable that some folks both deny that and begrudge/judge other people whose shoes they cannot have walked in.

This thread only confirms my resolve to help LGBTQ youth find their way in this world.

Cyndi Lauper: Give a Damn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies