Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Was The Best U.S. President From 1900 to present?
McKinley, William 0 0%
Roosevelt, Theodore 18 9.84%
Taft, William H. 0 0%
Wilson, Woodrow 3 1.64%
Harding, Warren 1 0.55%
Coolidge, Calvin 6 3.28%
Hoover, Herbert 0 0%
Roosevelt, Franklin D. 38 20.77%
Truman, Harry 8 4.37%
Eisenhower, Dwight 11 6.01%
Kennedy, John F. 5 2.73%
Johnson, Lyndon 2 1.09%
Nixon, Richard 1 0.55%
Ford, Gerald 0 0%
Carter, Jimmy 2 1.09%
Reagan, Ronald 57 31.15%
Bush, George H.W. 0 0%
Clinton, William J. 17 9.29%
Bush, George W. 13 7.10%
Not Sure 1 0.55%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:47 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Cigar for you! You're so right! Iraq wasn't the enemy then, it was Iran. In fact it was Reagan who removed Iraq from the enemies list, nice work And Reagan who sold missiles to Iran, The Enemy in case you've forgotten.
You really should read up on Iran-Contra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Ronald Reagan has been the best President in the past century. Kennedy and Truman were not too far behind, but Reagan lifted our country out of the doldrums thanks to his aggressive economic policies (nobody liked them at first, but they sure helped stimulate our sagging economy).

The only thing I held against Reagan is when he signed that 1986 immigration bill which gave amnesty to all those illegal aliens. Our current illegal problem stems from the passage of that bill, and then it multiplied with the do nothing attitude of the Feds since then. Other than that, I think Reagan did a very good job at running the nation.

Our worst Presidents in the past century were Johnson and Carter. Johnson created more poverty, and people dependent on government handouts with his Great Society welfare programs. He also escalated a very unpopular and ridiculous war (Vietnam), and ended up dividing his own party because of it. Carter was a lame duck President who was very weak on foreign policy, and lax on our nation's struggling economy.

Both George Bushes have proven to be almost as bad. George W. Bush has been very lax on illegal immigration, but adamant about social issues which are none of his business (gay marriage, stem cells, etc.). The only credit I give to Bush is his aggressive stance on terrorism. Unfortunately, he hasn't gone about it the right way. Deciding to invade Iraq BEFORE catching the 9/11 terrorists has turned out to be a huge mistake.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:09 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You really should read up on Iran-Contra.

Why? To rehash all the spin malarkey the PR flaks put on it?

That's a great idea, let's passi it around.

We sold weapons to an enemy but our intentions were good and we put the missile makers to work.

Nixon of course was concerned with some poor out of work burglars and petty thieves and wanted to assist them.

And Slick Willie? He was just trying to help Monica get over a debilitating case of shyness.

Yup! EVERY man in this poll shoud get equal marks because they were all angels and not one of them ever took a wrong step in his life

Old 08-27-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
I expected a higher percentage for JFK. (I guess some people do know history.)
Like Reagan he had style and charisma, just not the time.

He did play the Cuban Missile Crisi masterfully, I shudder to think what the current political hack would've done.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
If Clinton didn't create all of his scandals, the Republicans wouldn't have been able to "take him down."
Don't blame the Republicans for Clinton being an amoral President.

You must have missed a newscast or two, despite their best political witch-hunters (Hi Newt!) and wasting millions of dollars of taxpayers' money they DID NOT bring him down

Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
It's not between him and his wife when it happens in a public building, especially in a government building (The White House).
So anyone living in a leased, rented, borrowed, or gifted house should expect all their actions to be considered public? Can we expect the next C-SPAN camera to broadcast live, 24/7 from the Lincoln Bedroom? I disagree.

Quote:
And I think a President should abstain from having those kind of relations with interns, don't you agree?
I think people should live up to their vows. I don't think being POTUS, intern, or doctor, lawyer, indian chief cjanges that. But I also don't think it's the business of anyone besides the parties involved.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
So anyone living in a leased, rented, borrowed, or gifted house should expect all their actions to be considered public? Can we expect the next C-SPAN camera to broadcast live, 24/7 from the Lincoln Bedroom? I disagree.

I think people should live up to their vows. I don't think being POTUS, intern, or doctor, lawyer, indian chief cjanges that. But I also don't think it's the business of anyone besides the parties involved.
Now you're being ridiculous. A house is a lot different than a public/government building such as the White House. Stop trying to defend a President with no morals.

Presidents are held to higher standards than interns, doctors, lawyers and indian chiefs.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
You must have missed a newscast or two, despite their best political witch-hunters (Hi Newt!) and wasting millions of dollars of taxpayers' money they DID NOT bring him down
Again, nobody can "bring someone down" who has done no wrong.
That's why I say Clinton brought himself down... his own corruptness hurt him. Don't blame it on Newt!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Now you're being ridiculous. A house is a lot different than a public/government building such as the White House. Stop trying to defend a President with no morals.
YOU are the one defending a Presoident who apparently couldn't remember how to tell right from wrong, not me.

Quote:
Presidents are held to higher standards than interns, doctors, lawyers and indian chiefs.
And I wouldn't condone an intern, doctor, lawyer, or indian chief arming an enemy so I surely wouldn't accept it from a president, why do you?

Last edited by burdell; 08-27-2007 at 03:32 PM..

Old 08-27-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Again, nobody can "bring someone down" who has done no wrong.That's why I say Clinton brought himself down... his own corruptness hurt him. Don't blame it on Newt!

You said "If Clinton didn't create all of his scandals, the Republicans wouldn't have been able to "take him down."

The point is the Republicans weren't able to bring him down. So I guess you've made your point: "nobody can "bring someone down" who has done no wrong."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies