Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:47 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I saw no reason for the actions of the police. Want to tell me again we have a democracy?
We have a representative republic in which we have consistently chosen the wrong representatives. Ron Paul is our last chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
This is pure mutiny and treason now.
A bit melodramatic here. Obviously, a "mob" decided to go into the bank and cause trouble and were dealt with accordingly.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
It's their own private property (money). They have every right to withdraw their own private property from the bank, regardless of reason. The only plausible argument against the action is that it could be considered a bank run but 19 people closing their accounts at a single branch unless they're all richer than Croesus and simultaneously dumb enough to have all their money tied up in savings/checking accounts there's no way that would fly.
Rights are a two way street.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
A bit melodramatic here. Obviously, a "mob" decided to go into the bank and cause trouble and were dealt with accordingly.
Quite a few see the same as you:

30 LaGuardia Citibank Customers Arrested for Closing Accounts

All I can say is...locking people inside the bank with out just cause would give a good lawyer a field day. Can any one say, kidnapping?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:11 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
That is mighty strange then. I recently closed a bank account out, which had quite a bit of money in it. Had both saving and checking, and debit. Not happy with them, closed it out. Was not manhandled, hassled, or bothered. Told them if they ever changed for the better, i may come back. No police waiting to manhandle or hassle me in any way. Infact the gentlemen closing out my account, said he would hope that someday, i do come back, and that they would welcome me back. But he understood my position, but would like to see me come back. He said he understood why i decided to leave, and that other customers were doing the same. He was real nice, and this account, had a bit of money in it.

I did not go in there with a attitude, i did not go in there, with any intentions, of starting trouble. And i was not mean or accusing to anyone. Just wanted to close out the account which i did, and by the way with no problem. I was not on a stage, i was not acting, i just closed out my account.

Last edited by california-jewel; 10-16-2011 at 11:50 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 12:31 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Is the bank applying "possession is nine-tenths of the law"?? Because banks hold your money, they control your money??

I don't think anyone should have to justify why they are closing a bank account or be denied to close an account.

When the stock market was taking big hits not so long ago, rich individuals were pulling their money out and shifting it elsewhere - safe havens - no questions asked, no justification required. Then the banks turned on big business announcing that they would be charging them for "holding" their money.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Is the bank applying "possession is nine-tenths of the law"?? Because banks hold your money, they control your money??

I don't think anyone should have to justify why they are closing a bank account or be denied to close an account.

When the stock market was taking big hits not so long ago, rich individuals were pulling their money out and shifting it elsewhere - safe havens - no questions asked, no justification required. Then the banks turned on big business announcing that they would be charging them for "holding" their money.
There has to be more to the story than just people closing accounts. Something like disruption of business or the sorts which would have caused this kind of action. If people just normally entered the bank and closed accounts, I doubt the reaction would be like this.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:34 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Back in '09 I closed out my account at a local bank that pi**ed me off. I opened the new account at a local bank on-line. They handled everything up through the transfer of my money from the old bank.

Didn't set foot in either establishment. Everything done on-line and US mail.

Didn't give a crap about making a public statement or making a public spectacle of myself.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Back in '09 I closed out my account at a local bank that pi**ed me off. I opened the new account at a local bank on-line. They handled everything up through the transfer of my money from the old bank.

Didn't set foot in either establishment. Everything done on-line and US mail.

Didn't give a crap about making a public statement or making a public spectacle of myself.

Exactly.

These "protesters" remind me of the spoiled brat kid who gets mad and quits his job and then tries to make a speech about why he's quitting. We've all witnessed that one. Every time it happens you can see the wind fall out of their sails when they realize no one actually gives a rat's rear. Most don't realize they are probably doing the employer a favor since they are the least productive workers who only have a job because it's too much bureaucratic headache to kick them to the curb where they belong. I find it amazing that so many oddly dressed people decided to close their accounts at exactly the same time and place.

If they had the balls to openly admit they were there to cause trouble, I might have some respect for them but instead they hide behind some BS cover story to, as they always do, try to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
If they were marching into the bank chanting and disrupting business, I could understand it, but in this instance it was three women who went in quietly to close their accounts--one was carrying a sign and that was it. The bank told them to leave and called the police. The women made a stink after that, but not before. Since when does a bank have the right to refuse to release funds to a legitimate customer if they're not obstructing business?

Bank Of America Branch In California Reportedly Refuses To Allow Protesters To Close Accounts (VIDEO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies