Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 11:04 AM

913 posts, read 873,127 times

Advertisements

i thought i would add this to the discussion. froma medical perspective some of this stuff is truly mindblowing. she does briefly discuss regulatory barriers at 4:50 so it is relevant ot the thread, but nevertheless an amazing clip

Want to Live Forever? Sonia Arrison Explains How In Her New Book - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Saying that regulation is inherently bad is just as stupid and crazy as saying regulation is inherently good, and for the same reasons.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Saying that regulation is inherently bad is just as stupid and crazy as saying regulation is inherently good, and for the same reasons.

who said that? imo, regulations stop SOME bad things from happening! to stop SOME bad things from happening, they spend a lot of $ and they stop A LOT of good things from happening too! they also make some people believe that they stop ALL bad things from happening, so they sometimes forget to look out for the times when the regulations fail!

that help?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
who said that?

Lots of right wing loonies say this all the time. If you are not among them, good for you!

Quote:
imo, regulations stop SOME bad things from happening! to stop SOME bad things from happening, they spend a lot of $ and they stop A LOT of good things from happening too! they also make some people believe that they stop ALL bad things from happening, so they sometimes forget to look out for the times when the regulations fail!

that help?
Regulations also CREATE whole industries and (gasp) can even create JOBS.

Imagine that.

The absolutists are always wrong, sooner or later.

I do wish we could just act sensibly and forget all this ideology crap.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:03 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
who said that? imo, regulations stop SOME bad things from happening! to stop SOME bad things from happening, they spend a lot of $ and they stop A LOT of good things from happening too! they also make some people believe that they stop ALL bad things from happening, so they sometimes forget to look out for the times when the regulations fail!

that help?
I disagree, they have stopped A LOT of bad things from happening, you can thank those evil regulations for the clean air you breath, the clean water you drink, the safe car you drive, the excellent health care you can recieve........ believe me the list a very long one. Guess it depends on how one defines Good and Bad

Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Lots of right wing loonies say this all the time. If you are not among them, good for you!

Regulations also CREATE whole industries and (gasp) can even create JOBS.

Imagine that.

The absolutists are always wrong, sooner or later.

I do wish we could just act sensibly and forget all this ideology crap.
i happen to believe that bureacracy is the biggest job killer we have. sure, if you think that paying a bureacrats out of money you would've spent into your loacl economy is helpful then so be it. what you don't consider is the damage all their red tape does

Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I disagree, they have stopped A LOT of bad things from happening, you can thank those evil regulations for the clean air you breath, the clean water you drink, the safe car you drive, the excellent health care you can recieve........ believe me the list a very long one. Guess it depends on how one defines Good and Bad
all of those things were improving before the regulators came along. cars from the 60's were safer than those from the 30's, and that had nothing to do with regulations, the market demanded it! airbags were a market creation, so were seatbelts for that matter. long before seatbelts were mandatory, cars had them. the regulators just jumped to the front of that parade and took all the credit

Old 10-20-2011, 12:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
all of those things were improving before the regulators came along. cars from the 60's were safer than those from the 30's, and that had nothing to do with regulations, the market demanded it! airbags were a market creation, so were seatbelts for that matter. long before seatbelts were mandatory, cars had them. the regulators just jumped to the front of that parade and took all the credit
That is the excuse for just about everything. Unfortunately, it's not true. Yes, cars had seatbelts. But people didn't use them until they started getting ticketed for not doing so.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:19 PM

605 posts, read 705,628 times
Quote:
imo, the hard right is for "Limited Govt"! george w doesn't represent those values. he is left wing regardless of his rhetoric
The definition of hard right has changed in recent times. Even "Conservative" has changed due to the [New] Tea Party influence.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:22 PM

605 posts, read 705,628 times
I work in education (for-profit, international campuses with the majority in the U.S) - a lot of the federal regulations (SOX) we have to comply with are designed to protect our students - privacy, financial loans, etc. All for the benefit of students. Though it costs us a lot of overhead having to comply with them, it's a big positive in my book that they exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies