Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 01:49 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How can the timing be political when you just admitted the time was set by bush? Obama carried out the plan as he promised, and he did not set the timing.
Bear with them - there isn't a crying rodeo clown with a blackboard on TV to tell them why this is bad, so they're floundering a bit. All they know is that Obama did it, hence it must be bad somwhow. Internal consistency is just asking too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 01:50 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
... Iran is getting ready to nuke Israel.
With what?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:09 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
And the both of you vote? That is truly frightening.It's people like you who will guarantee the US becomes just another run-of-the-mill Belarus and the smallest province in the Brasilian Empire.

Obama is not following through or keeping a campaign promise.
His promise was to bring home troops in 16 months. He failed on that promise.He is not following through on his promise now either. It was his express intent to keep troops in Iraq for many more years, except that he and Maliki could not reach an agreement.

So let's get it right: Obama is withdrawing troops only because he failed to negotiate an agreement with the Iraqi government.

Either way, Obama is clearly not making good on a campaign promise.
You are easily frightened. I think you need to man up a little.

I didnt vote for Obama but clearly this is one promise he is keeping. I couldn't care less who set the time table, or what you think the actual reason is. I also would not have cared if we had kept 25k troops there, I still would have considered the promise as kept.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
You are easily frightened. I think you need to man up a little.

I didnt vote for Obama but clearly this is one promise he is keeping. I couldn't care less who set the time table, or what you think the actual reason is. I also would not have cared if we had kept 25k troops there, I still would have considered the promise as kept.
But it wasn't his promise to keep..it was Bush's promise made in 2008 and ratified by the Iraqi PM.

And thankfully Iraq said no to US demands to stay past 2011 with full immunity.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And what do you think they deserve credit for ?
If anything the Iraqi government deserves the credit for bringing ALL our troops home by 12/31/2011 because "the Democrats" were wanting to stay past 2011 but Iraq said no to their demands of immunity.
I believe vast majority have already been pulled out, and if Iraq wants to mess around with the immunity question, then they are on their own. There is no way any us admin would ever want to see us troops stand trial in a country like Iraq just because they followed orders.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I believe vast majority have already been pulled out, and if Iraq wants to mess around with the immunity question, then they are on their own. There is no way any us admin would ever want to see us troops stand trial in a country like Iraq just because they followed orders.
You don't get it.. The US wanted to stay and demanded immunity.
Iraq said no. The talks fell through so that's why there is the pullout.
And that's 50K that were left there.

Immunity wasn't Iraq's problem..it was ours because we wanted it.
Read about it..it's in several articles spread across various news sites.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
But it wasn't his promise to keep..it was Bush's promise made in 2008 and ratified by the Iraqi PM.

And thankfully Iraq said no to US demands to stay past 2011 with full immunity.
Of course it was up to him to carry it out, which he did. For the most part we are out of Iraq already, so as far as I am concerned, the promise is already kept, even if we had kept 25k troops there.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
You don't get it.. The US wanted to stay and demanded immunity.
Iraq said no. The talks fell through so that's why there is the pullout.
And that's 50K that were left there.

Immunity wasn't Iraq's problem..it was ours because we wanted it.
Read about it..it's in several articles spread across various news sites.
Like I said, even if we had kept 25k troops there, the promise was already kept. If you pull out 125k troops, and leave 25k trainers, then you can say you have pulled out.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Of course it was up to him to carry it out, which he did. For the most part we are out of Iraq already, so as far as I am concerned, the promise is already kept, even if we had kept 25k troops there.
Under the Bush agreement troops would leave the cities in 2009 and be fully gone by 2011.

As long as there are combat troops there we are NOT out of Iraq.

The US-Iraq SOFA:
U.S.
"It establishes that U.S. combat forces will withdraw from Iraqi cities by June 30, 2009, and all U.S. forces will be completely out of Iraq by December 31, 2011, subject to possible further negotiations.."

Old 10-22-2011, 03:33 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
This was simply nice spin for the Obama administration,and those ignorant of the actual facts lapped it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies