Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:13 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"A woman has an abortion for her reasons only."

I agree.

Those reasons are typically using abortion as convenient after-the-fact birth control method and not wanting to get fat.

So glad you finally conceded the point that no woman kills her baby because no one wants to adopt it.
Ummm, carrying a pregnancy entails much more than just getting fat.....better look out.....your pitiful lack of knowledge is showing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes.....sounds silly doesn't it?

I would say it is right up there with the conspiracy theory that abortion is an evil plan hatched by Margaret Sanger to practice eugenics.....even though pleny of middle and upper class white women avail themselves of abortion.

How about THAT? Just thought I would borrow the pro-lifer's tin foil hat to make a point.

Don't like it when the shoe is put on the other foot....do you?

Oh, let's make another thing clear.....not all aborted babies are perfectly healthy white babies.....yes....those will be snatched right up.......not so much for crack babies, Downs Sydrome/special needs babies, fetal alcohol syndrome babies, etc.

As pointed out earlier.....couples will hold out for years ranther than adopt that "not so perfect" child that they dream of.
All excellent points, Annie, especially the ones about the not-so-perfect babies.

I tried to rep you but got the "spread it around" blah, blah, blah.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:24 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes.....sounds silly doesn't it?

I would say it is right up there with the conspiracy theory that abortion is an evil plan hatched by Margaret Sanger to practice eugenics.....even though pleny of middle and upper class white women avail themselves of abortion.

How about THAT? Just thought I would borrow the pro-lifer's tin foil hat to make a point.

Don't like it when the shoe is put on the other foot....do you?

Oh, let's make another thing clear.....not all aborted babies are perfectly healthy white babies.....yes....those will be snatched right up.......not so much for crack babies, Downs Sydrome/special needs babies, fetal alcohol syndrome babies, etc.

As pointed out earlier.....couples will hold out for years rather than adopt that "not so perfect" child that they dream of.

I know several couples, actually more than several who have adopted 'less than perfect' babies as you say. Actually, some have adopted children also...not cute little babies, who they could have never placed otherwise. My aunt and uncle's daughter is a good example. Her mother was mentally ill and neglected her as an infant, never bonded with her, when they got her at almost two she was undernourished and developmentally delayed. Everything with raising her was a struggle. She is grown now and they have a granddaughter who is the joy of their life. Something good from something so tragic really. Children are God's creations, they deserve a chance to live their lives. We do not have the right to take a life! We don't get to pick and choose who gets a shot at life or we shouldn't.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:06 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I know several couples, actually more than several who have adopted 'less than perfect' babies as you say. Actually, some have adopted children also...not cute little babies, who they could have never placed otherwise. My aunt and uncle's daughter is a good example. Her mother was mentally ill and neglected her as an infant, never bonded with her, when they got her at almost two she was undernourished and developmentally delayed. Everything with raising her was a struggle. She is grown now and they have a granddaughter who is the joy of their life. Something good from something so tragic really. Children are God's creations, they deserve a chance to live their lives. We do not have the right to take a life! We don't get to pick and choose who gets a shot at life or we shouldn't.
My parents adopted me at 3. My parents' best friend adopted her at 3 as well. Both from the same orphanage.

Yes, it does happen, but it's much, much rarer. Most adoptees I come across were adopted as infants. It's much rarer to come across people who were adopted older than 2. I've worked with hundreds of older orphans, from at least three countries, and most of them never get adopted. My ex was in the foster care system her whole life cause once she hit 2 or 3, no one wanted her. Most older children don't get adopted, and a few anecdotal examples to the contrary doesn't change that.

Honestly, I believe that God chooses both sides of the coin either way. If someone was adopted, that's how it was meant to be. If someone was aborted, that's how it was meant to be.

Death happens. Illness happens. It's all a part of life. We can't act like it never happens. God obviously lets those happen because wars happen, people die of illness, etc. My friend died a few months ago of a muscle atrophying disease at 21. Doesn't God technically have the power to stop all that? Why doesn't God stop all that? I'm blind but God has the power to give me vision. I know this because I used to be deaf and God gave me my hearing back, and even made my hearing better than it was before. So I know that it's possible, and I know God has the power to do that. But he doesn't. Why?

Why would God not have a problem with the Iraq War and Afghanistan and Sudan and Rwanda but then turn around and hate every woman who aborts? A lot of people stuck in the middle of wars are innocent bystanders, just like the fetus in a woman's uterus. People die in wars at the hands of others, and no one seems to do much about it, yet people want to go bomb an abortion clinic because a fetus dies at the hands of its mother?

I'm not for war or for illness or for abortion or for violence, but it happens. People make their own choice that leads to those things because we all have something called free will. In some cases, other people carrying out their own free will does infringe upon another person's free will. But if we do the same thing, we're just in the same boat. We have to let people live their own lives and make their own choices. We cannot interfere with someone's free will. We have to let people live out their own free will.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
If you believe an innocent is gonna die and you have the power to save it but choose to do nothing you are a coward! If a pregnant ghetto woman came to you and offered her baby to you after birth so as to not have it aborted would you raise it? Or do you just like sticking your noses in other peoples business?
this is like holding a baby hostage, if you don't take care of it Ill kill it. wow!!!! wow!!!! yea ok, makes lots of sense coming from a liberal!!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I think it is also telling that no one has answered the question about gay couples adopting.
yea cause gays are not allowed to reproduce by nature!!! thank mother nature for that!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
My parents adopted me at 3. My parents' best friend adopted her at 3 as well. Both from the same orphanage.

Yes, it does happen, but it's much, much rarer. Most adoptees I come across were adopted as infants. It's much rarer to come across people who were adopted older than 2. I've worked with hundreds of older orphans, from at least three countries, and most of them never get adopted. My ex was in the foster care system her whole life cause once she hit 2 or 3, no one wanted her. Most older children don't get adopted, and a few anecdotal examples to the contrary doesn't change that.

Honestly, I believe that God chooses both sides of the coin either way. If someone was adopted, that's how it was meant to be. If someone was aborted, that's how it was meant to be.

Death happens. Illness happens. It's all a part of life. We can't act like it never happens. God obviously lets those happen because wars happen, people die of illness, etc. My friend died a few months ago of a muscle atrophying disease at 21. Doesn't God technically have the power to stop all that? Why doesn't God stop all that? I'm blind but God has the power to give me vision. I know this because I used to be deaf and God gave me my hearing back, and even made my hearing better than it was before. So I know that it's possible, and I know God has the power to do that. But he doesn't. Why?

Why would God not have a problem with the Iraq War and Afghanistan and Sudan and Rwanda but then turn around and hate every woman who aborts? A lot of people stuck in the middle of wars are innocent bystanders, just like the fetus in a woman's uterus. People die in wars at the hands of others, and no one seems to do much about it, yet people want to go bomb an abortion clinic because a fetus dies at the hands of its mother?

I'm not for war or for illness or for abortion or for violence, but it happens. People make their own choice that leads to those things because we all have something called free will. In some cases, other people carrying out their own free will does infringe upon another person's free will. But if we do the same thing, we're just in the same boat. We have to let people live their own lives and make their own choices. We cannot interfere with someone's free will. We have to let people live out their own free will.

You are incredibly smart and insightful and the fact that you can speak, both as someone who was adopted but also as someone who has worked with children waiting to be adopted, should speak volumes.

You are an inspiration and I think ALL of us in this debate can learn something from you.

Thank you.

(I don't usually quote entire posts but I couldn't decide what to cut from yours because I think every word in the above post is important.)

Old 10-30-2011, 10:24 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
This one of those threads where anyone can stand up and say, "I have" (or my sister, or my neighbors brother-in-law's sister). Of course on an anonymous internet forum it is a bit difficult to separate fact from fiction.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This one of those threads where anyone can stand up and say, "I have" (or my sister, or my neighbors brother-in-law's sister). Of course on an anonymous internet forum it is a bit difficult to separate fact from fiction.
Are you suggesting that nimchimpsky isn't being truthful? And what would you base that on - the fact that she has a different opinion than you?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:34 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

Of course we all have free will. That does not make it right to be allowed to take a life, an innocent life that never did a thing to anyone. I might use my free will to rob a bank or kill someone also, but then I would have to pay the consequences of that. Free will does not always justify what we do or choices we make. People going to war or bombing abortion clinics or any of those lame excuses make abortion any more acceptable or right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies