Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Aack! I hate the "I had an abortion but nobody else should" crowd! Oh sure, they claim that they feel guilty and sometimes wish they hadn't done it...but I'm guessing 99% of the time they aren't thinking about it at all because they are too busy living the lives their abortion allowed them to have. They like the positive attention from the prolife groups too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 02:34 PM

400 posts, read 294,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
did you to read ANY of my previous posts where I did just that? did you read ANY of my previous posts where I said I was personally against abortion?

you need to get it out of your head that pro-choice=pro abortion. Like I said BEFORE, many, many people who are pro-choice do not advocate abortion as birth control. don't believe me? do a search on this forum on the topic and read the responses yourself (don't ask me to look for them. do the work yourself and educate yourself). Pro choice people advocate proper sex education (many even advocate the teaching of abstinence alongside proper use of BC), ready access to birth control, and more education on the different options available so people can make the proper CHOICE about their own reproduction.

you seem to want to purposely ignore this, remain ignorant, and believe your false assumptions.
Some people just can't wrap their minds around the concept that not wanting to ban something isn't the same as supporting it.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:34 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The other half of your statement should read: "And while I don't make decisions for others, I also don't condemn their personally irresponsible behavior and I support their right to have as many abortions as humanly possible."

Sorry to put words in your mouth, but i've yet to see a cogent argument from a Liberal decrying the use of abortion to avoid bad personal decisions. It just doesn't exist. Only that a person can get as many abortions as necessary to make him/her happy.
Areo, I didn't state my specific opinion on abortion, but I will. I think that abortions should be illegal after the first trimester. Period. It's murder. I read somewhere a few years back that it's almost impossible to get an abortion in the second trimester in Europe. Ameirca actually has some of the most liberal abortion laws in the world because of the Roe v. Wade decision, which was very extreme in its wording and implications.

I don't believe that life begins at conception. What begins at conception is you have a cluster of cells that are growing daily. At some point, what you have is a little baby. By the fourth month, you have a little dude or gal that is tiny and just growing. That, to me, is human life. A blob of cells -- second week or so -- is not. For me, this is a matter of science.

I support abortion in all cases -- particulary rape and incest -- in the first few weeks of a pregnancy. I support abortion after the first trimester only in cases where a mother's life is in danger. Then, I think this is a medical matter that is between a woman and her doctor.

And personally, I don't support abortion. What I mean by that is that if any woman in my family, particularly my daughter, felt she needed to get an abortion, I would strongly urge her to give the baby to my wife and I to raise. I'd probably also make this same offer to most non relatives I knew personally. That's a realistic choice for my family. My wife and I have the means and inclination to do that. For a 15 year old girl who was knocked up and comes from very humble circumstances without a loving family to support her, I think it's fine for her to abort ... she better do it in the first few weeks though.. because the longer she waits, the more she heads into murder territory.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:38 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Aack! I hate the "I had an abortion but nobody else should" crowd! Oh sure, they claim that they feel guilty and sometimes wish they hadn't done it...but I'm guessing 99% of the time they aren't thinking about it at all because they are too busy living the lives their abortion allowed them to have. They like the positive attention from the prolife groups too.
One of my wife's cousins is very, very Catholic and routinely posts on Facebook about how no one should ever vote for a Democrat because of the party's stance on abortion. To do so would be to p*** on Jesus and the Holy Mother in her world. Yet, we just found out, SHE HAD AN ABORTION! And not as a teen either ... this was pretty recent. She has like 9 kids, she's poor (9 kids go figure ), and she just couldn't bring herself to bring number 10 into the world. It was a smart choice for her and her other 9, I think. It's too bad she didn't practice birth control and keep the family number down to two or three kids. Her family would probably be much better off.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
did you to read ANY of my previous posts where I did just that? did you read ANY of my previous posts where I said I was personally against abortion?

you need to get it out of your head that pro-choice=pro abortion. Like I said BEFORE, many, many people who are pro-choice do not advocate abortion as birth control. don't believe me? do a search on this forum on the topic and read the responses yourself (don't ask me to look for them. do the work yourself and educate yourself). Pro choice people advocate proper sex education (many even advocate the teaching of abstinence alongside proper use of BC), ready access to birth control, and more education on the different options available so people can make the proper CHOICE about their own reproduction.

you seem to want to purposely ignore this, remain ignorant, and believe your false assumptions.
The world is balck and white to some. I am one of those that supports the right of a woman to make her own choice on the matter, but at the same time I disagree with women using it as a form of birth control, or late term abortions unless their are valid medical reasons to do so. I would much prefer that more women would consider adoption instead of abortion and in those cases if the woman is poor she should be given help with the medical bills.
I always laugh when I hear people say that women only get pregnant because they did nothing to prevent it because I always think back to a couple knew in Colorado Springs that had two children and then the wife had her tubes tied. Guess what, the doctor screwed up the operation and she got pregnant again. They did descide to go ahead and have the child but the doctor ended up paying child support and had to create and pay into a college fund for the child, in an out of court settlement. People seem to also think that the pill is 100% effective and that condoms never break. I guess the only truely sure method is no sex at all and while that may be fine for some conservatives, it does not work for people with a normal sex drive. Abortion has been around as long we have been breeding as a species and it will not be ending any time soon. The scary thing is if you go onto sme of he right-to-life sites several openly state that they will not stop until even birth control itself is outlawed, that isthe ultimate goal for many bu they are willing to take away the rights of women one step at a time until they achieve it. One of those backdoor ideas is taking the choice out of the Federal level and allowing states to make their own choice, meaning Milions of women would lose their right. As we can see in the case of Miss. giving states the right is not the smartest or logical way to go.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:01 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My argument is unchanged: I am anti-abortion except in the case of rape/incest/imminent death of the mother.

Every other case is 100% preventable, and thus gets no free pass from personal responsibility.
I'm not a passionate advocate on either side here but I have to agree with others that this must be a hard position to rationalize.

If one truly believes that life begins at conception. And truly believes that abortion is the murder of a child. How can one rationalize murdering a child under any circumstance? If a child were born to a rape victim, and 2 months later the mother could no longer cope with the trauma of the rape, would it be OK to murder the child to spare the mother further trauma?

Of course my supposition is rediculous and nobody here would defend killing an infant under any circumstance. This means we (you) must apply somewhat less value to a child who has yet to be born. To me this means that there are moral shades of gray and no absolutes here. Perhaps it should be up to the individual who is struggling with some very tough choices to decide the question, not the legislature.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
I'm not a passionate advocate on either side here but I have to agree with others that this must be a hard position to rationalize.

If one truly believes that life begins at conception. And truly believes that abortion is the murder of a child. How can one rationalize murdering a child under any circumstance? If a child were born to a rape victim, and 2 months later the mother could no longer cope with the trauma of the rape, would it be OK to murder the child to spare the mother further trauma?

Of course my supposition is rediculous and nobody here would defend killing an infant under any circumstance. This means we (you) must apply somewhat less value to a child who has yet to be born. To me this means that there are moral shades of gray and no absolutes here. Perhaps it should be up to the individual who is struggling with some very tough choices to decide the question, not the legislature.
“There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white. Or a rape.â€
--President Richard Nixon, 01/23/1973 (who apparently thought being impregnated by a rapist was almost as bad as being impregnated by someone of another race)
Nixon Comments Disclosed on Abortion and Watergate - NYTimes.com

Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I bet the people who hate on Mississippi 90% of you have never even been there. Just because you do not agree with a law or politician in a certain state doesn't mean the state has "few brains".

I bet the state you reside in aint so perfect either.

BTW I am pro life myself even after having two abortions. I agree that some women should have an abortion in both rape and financial hardships. I felt horrible about it and still think about it till this day. I don't know someone would be sick enough to kill an innocent baby human life just because they were irresponsible.
So you judge others for making the same choice that you did, twice.
Made sure you got yours, screw everyone else.

Many people don't/didn't find it the burden you did.
You do not speak for everyone.

I'mNotSorry.net - Celebrating the right to choose
Welcome to I’mNotSorry.net, a site where women can share their positive experiences with abortion. The stories posted on this site may contain graphic descriptions of medical procedures, as well as attitudes that may not be in current vogue. We welcome visitors of all opinions as long as they are respectful of our views.

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-04-2011 at 03:59 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 03:47 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
I thought long and hard after deciding to get the abortion. Keep in mind that I was 14 and 16 at the time. I will never get one again and would immediately advise someone else who was in my situation to have the baby. The way some of you talk it seems that you would want a 3 month old to be killed anywhere anytime. I don't see what you anti-lifers have against babies. I understand that people make mistakes. If I went ahead and had those babies I would of been receiving increased welfare and food stamp benefits right now.
Doesn't matter.
It was safe and legal for you and you want to remove the safe and legal part from others.
It's not your place to let anyone else know anything. If they ask your opinion, that's one thing, but otherwise, stay out of other people's lives and reproductive choices. They're not for you to make.

Quote:
First of all, I did not dictate anyone to not have an abortion. I just strongly discourage people from getting them. I wish I haven't gotten them, I at times felt like I murdered my own children. It is a feeling of guilt, not exactly pure intentional hypocrisy. Some people on welfare absouletley hate getting their benefits in the mail, and wish they could do better in life and encourage others to do so as well so you won't be in the same situation. Drugs addict in rehab want to quit but don't have the willpower to do so. To prevent this from happening to anyone else and destroying families, they vote for strong drug laws because they care. See where this is going?

Besides fetus are living if they "kick" and move around the the womb they are very much alive in my opinion I don't understand why people are saying that they are not living, so what are they? Because They certainly aren't dead.
No, I don't see where this is going... nothing kicks during the first trimester. You really need to educate yourself.

Don't put your guilt on others.
You made a mistake for you; you have no right to "strongly discourage" anyone to do anything.
Hypocrisy at its finest.

You don't want to get into the drug issue with me.
Willpower? Try stopping diarrhea with willpower.
I'm over 28 years clean/sober, have been on the board of a rehab, and know a little about both addiction and drug laws.
If you're going to come to a discussion about drugs, I'd advise you to come with something more than your opinion.

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-04-2011 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I thought long and hard after deciding to get the abortion. Keep in mind that I was 14 and 16 at the time. I will never get one again and would immediately advise someone else who was in my situation to have the baby. The way some of you talk it seems that you would want a 3 month old to be killed anywhere anytime. I don't see what you anti-lifers have against babies. I understand that people make mistakes. If I went ahead and had those babies I would of been receiving increased welfare and food stamp benefits right now.
So?

Look, I have no issue with your abortions. None. My problem is that you condemn abortion, but say it's OK if it would crimp your style financially.

This is what you wrote:
I agree that some women should have an abortion in both rape and financial hardships.

And then you wrote this:
I don't know someone would be sick enough to kill an innocent baby human life just because they were irresponsible.

Which is it? On one hand, you justify abortions if they would cause financial hardship, on the other hand you claim that it's sick to have an abortion because of irresponsibility.

Well, here's a clue - getting pregnant* (or getting a woman pregnant) when you can't afford to be a parent... is irresponsible.
*- instances of rape excluded, but since you use the phrase both rape and financial hardships it is clear that you are also excusing abortions where only financial hardship, but not rape, is a factor.

Sorry, when you go on about how awful it is "to kill a baby, except when having one would cost too much", you don't really sound like someone who cares all that much for babies... except when they're cheap and convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies