Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
When I started the thread I wasn't talking about people posting opinions, they are posting what is supposed to be factual information but it's not. .....
My bad, missed this first time through.

Yes, I will, as politely as I can, correct blatant misinformation on other friends' status.

I'm a big proponent of commenting on folks who repost all the scams and fake "news" stories and such with a link to Hoax-Slayer or Snopes.

Hoax-Slayer | Facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 06:07 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
If their facts are wrong, or if they don't quite seem to know how the constitution or something else I've ever wonked out on works, I say something. Extremely argumentative right wingers I tend to avoid, unless it's something particularly obvious or absurd, OR if they comment on my wall regarding a politics-related comment I made to another friend.

Overall, I'd like to keep it all peaceful and happy, but I don't suffer fools readily either.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
I wouldn't. I might tell them in person but Facebook wouldn't be the place to do it IMO. Can you imagine the flame-fest that would happen?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
If their facts are wrong, or if they don't quite seem to know how the constitution or something else I've ever wonked out on works, I say something. Extremely argumentative right wingers I tend to avoid, unless it's something particularly obvious or absurd, OR if they comment on my wall regarding a politics-related comment I made to another friend.

Overall, I'd like to keep it all peaceful and happy, but I don't suffer fools readily either.
Thank you. Exactly how I feel.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:57 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
I like posting things that provoke thought.

When that Kenedy video went around like there was no tomorrow talking about secret socieites I immediately posted the previous paragraph that's always left out. You know, the one were he calls for "far greater official secrecy."

I'll post excerpts of great speeches, facts about unemployment (or employment), news articles pointing out your greater loss of freedoms (like Obama's DOJ arguing for the right to say the FOIA request that aren't specific enough can be completely denied as even ever having existed) and then follow the article up with something like the actual link, and a small excerpt, from something like the Federal Register.

I must be on ignore, or not have very many actual friends, because I rarely ever get replied to or commented on. I think my parents post on my page more than anyone else.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:57 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I like posting things that provoke thought.

When that Kenedy video went around like there was no tomorrow talking about secret socieites I immediately posted the previous paragraph that's always left out. You know, the one were he calls for "far greater official secrecy."

I'll post excerpts of great speeches, facts about unemployment (or employment), news articles pointing out your greater loss of freedoms (like Obama's DOJ arguing for the right to say the FOIA request that aren't specific enough can be completely denied as even ever having existed) and then follow the article up with something like the actual link, and a small excerpt, from something like the Federal Register.

I must be on ignore, or not have very many actual friends, because I rarely ever get replied to or commented on. I think my parents post on my page more than anyone else.
LOL, well at least you know your parents like you!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:06 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I wouldn't. I might tell them in person but Facebook wouldn't be the place to do it IMO. Can you imagine the flame-fest that would happen?
I posted something the other night that was NOT supposed to a 'debate topic' in that it was only meant to convey my beliefs on a particular topic. Then, because it was late and I was tired, I logged off for the evening. When I logged on the following morning, the comments back and forth between two or three of my FB friends were such that, had they taken place face-to-face, likely would likely have led to physical blows! So I deleted the entire thread and did a 'status update' explaining that my wall is not the place for their petty arguments. Seems the only thing they all had 'in common' is that they are all on my friends list, so all of them saw the post and what others were posting in response. Guess I'll have to start putting some kind of 'disclaimer' on my posts, telling everyone the subject is 'not up for discussion' - at least not on MY wall. ::::sigh::::

Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I posted something the other night that was NOT supposed to a 'debate topic' in that it was only meant to convey my beliefs on a particular topic. Then, because it was late and I was tired, I logged off for the evening. When I logged on the following morning, the comments back and forth between two or three of my FB friends were such that, had they taken place face-to-face, likely would likely have led to physical blows! So I deleted the entire thread and did a 'status update' explaining that my wall is not the place for their petty arguments. Seems the only thing they all had 'in common' is that they are all on my friends list, so all of them saw the post and what others were posting in response. Guess I'll have to start putting some kind of 'disclaimer' on my posts, telling everyone the subject is 'not up for discussion' - at least not on MY wall. ::::sigh::::
I used to have this happen a bunch when I posted statements that were political in nature. It would set off an argument/discussion I wasn't expecting or looking for. That's why I've stopped posting almost anything "political."

Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default Do you openly correct your Facebook friends when they make incorrect political statements?

Nope, I love my friends, I avoid politics with family and friends and if it does come up I keep it low key.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Although I am fiercely partisan, I avoid political discussions on Facebook in respect of the very diverse group of FB friends I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies