Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times

Advertisements

Wrong info. spreads like wildfire these days with the popularity of social media and it's really bugging me. I'm trying not to let it bother me but most of it is negative and incorrect, not facts. It really shows there is a huge number of people that know nothing about our government, history or our country. It's not as if I know everything by a long shot but I don't repost things I see on someones page w/o even knowing it's true.

I have let a lot of things go by and not said anything, otherwise I may not have some of those friends but some I can't let go. So, if a FB friend posts something that I know for sure is wrong and I can find a link to a nonpartisan site explaining the fact, is that wrong? It's not been taken well a few times because they just looked at it as me defending a particular party or person. Totally not true, I vote for the person and not for the party. I just think it's irresponsible to pass along negative incorrect info. and a bit lazy I might add.

Does anyone else have an issue with this and should I just block myself from seeing their posts, shut up or keep on telling the truth. The truth is my preference but the truth also causes problems it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
There is only one on mine who constantly posts political crap so if its wrong I will correct him.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Politics isn't "black and white." Most political statements are arguable.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
I don't "correct." I "converse."

Old 11-04-2011, 11:18 AM

994 posts, read 1,682,182 times
If they annoy me with endless political posts...I just post a few lolcat pics or something on their posts.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
There is only one on mine who constantly posts political crap so if its wrong I will correct him.
How do they take it? Do they post something in return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm not talking about opinions, I'm talking about facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I don't "correct." I "converse."
That's my intention as well but it seems people would rather think their right then know the truth or I should say the facts.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:10 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
I do. They posted to share their idea with others, so it is an open invitation anyway. And many of my FB friends aren't really my "friends" but some actually sent add request after we engaged in debates, with opposing point of views.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Wrong info. spreads like wildfire these days with the popularity of social media and it's really bugging me. I'm trying not to let it bother me but most of it is negative and incorrect, not facts.

So, if a FB friend posts something that I know for sure is wrong and I can find a link to a nonpartisan site explaining the fact, is that wrong?
By all means, correct away.

However, one common problem is that people bend over backwards to claim things are easily ascertainable facts, when quite often, they are not easily ascertainable facts, despite being presented/misrepresented as such (of which there are no shortage of websites, non-partisan ones included, that also fall prey to misrepresenting a rather speculative theory with fact).

Certain claims are relatively easy to fact check, and they are accurate to a reasonable degree of certainty which is sufficient to satisfy most inquiries, and the margin of error can usually be roughly calculated by looking at the collection methodology. These generally include what one might call "simple statistics," but also can include other categories such as what people said (e.g. did a public servant utter a certain statement).

Other claims, particularly those classes that require complex statistical analysis and require rigid proof of causation to validate them (a requirement almost never achieved in practice - which is why economists are often second-rate mathematicians, save a few exceptions who were brilliant minds in game theory, and some smart guys too in the more recently popular fields of econometrics and public choice theory [the latter being the newer of the two]), should rarely be presented as fact (and yet, that doesn't stop people from succumbing to spreading "voodoo economic" claims presented as facts).

There's a reason why economics has been referred to as "the dismal science" (though the phrase has taken on a somewhat newer and more expansive meaning from its original usage). It suffers from the same pitfalls that most social sciences do, which is the inability to prove causation with sufficient mathematical rigor in complex chains where you have n-large numbers of market actors and where the market rules and rationality and agency of the market actors is often much more unconstrained than it is in game theoretic exercises where the values can be bounded.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 11-04-2011 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
no, i don't. i don't mix politics and facebook.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Politics is chock full of blatant lies, like:

*OMG, the White House is renaming the annual 'Christmas Tree' the 'Holiday Tree'! (blatant lie)

*OMG, the Obama Administration just made the Navy kick out a chaplain for refusing not to say 'Jesus' in his sermons (blatant lie- the chaplain was kicked out for refusing an order to provide non-denominational prayers to troops, and he was kicked out in 2007 when, you know, someone else was in the White House)

These are just a couple example of political Facebook lies I've found lately. And, no, they're not arguable. Not by anyone with any grasp of reality, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies