Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:16 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times

Advertisements

Agree, ala President Clinton. But, we both know much of this code BS is for political gain, on both sides. You are a student of history, so you know this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If anything its an equal opportunity lynching unless you can point to a single white politician who hasn't been subjected to a bimbo eruption, sexual harassment, or sexual imbroglio during an election campaign be they Republican or Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The settlement was a settlement. Herman Cain didn't sign off on it. He had already left the job BEFORE his three-year term was up. No, there was never an admission of guilt.

And yes, who are you? Because calling women you don't know ANYTHING about a degrading name for NO reason, tells me that you are a person who judges others with zero information, but a heckuva lot of bias.

These women, when they received their SETTLEMENTS, signed agreements with the NRA, not with Herman Cain, that they would not discuss their allegations with anyone in the future.

These women made their allegations over a DECADE ago, long before Mr Cain had any political aspirations. They didn't know one another or about the other's allegations. They came forward separately, independently, to complain about Mr Cain. Because of the non-disclosure, they couldn't come out and tell YOU anything about it. And since this would be a case of He-Said-She-Said, where you wouldn't believe anything they said anyway, because, YOU are the one exhibiting partisan bias, here, why should they come forward. They don't want their names dragged through the mud (And since you're calling them bimbos without any knowledge whatsoever, they have plenty of reason to think they would be dragged through the mud, don't they?), they have careers and families to protect.

THEY DIDN'T COME FORWARD with this story. Someone else leaked it to Politico. The women have moved on with their lives, and are still not talking.

So yeah, who the heck are you? Talk about irrationality. You define irrationality. It's irrational to demean people you know nothing about. But you do it so readily.
Bimbos...who got paid...for what? We don't know. Why don't we know? Well....because there was no proof of wrongdoing...the women were not assaulted so there is no physical evidence...there were no tapes or other recordings of something Herman Cain might have said to either of them...just their word against his.

So...what do we know? We know their employment was ended and that they received a severance package. So what about the investigation? Oh...that showed no wrongdoing by Mr. Cain. Ok...so what is it that has everyone up in arms? Hmmm....uh....well....I don't know. I guess that those on the left are prepared to take the word of 2 women who won't publicly discuss their allegations against Mr. Cain, and disregard Mr. Cain's PUBLIC declaration that he did nothing wrong and never sexually or otherwise harrassed anyone. As far as I can see, Mr. Cain is the one who should be believed because he is the one PUBLICLY making the claim. His accusers refuse to do so.

So who the heck am I again?? I am a person who has an opinion. That is what this place is for last I knew.

You call me irrational when you choose to believe 2 people who refuse to open themselves and their charges up to public scrutiny and just believe what they have to say?? Without any proof? Without even knowing what they charged Mr. Cain with? Sorry....IRRATIONAL, they name is DC at the ridge.

And please...let's not pretend that women have never claimed sexual harrassment in order to make a quick buck. Because if you do, we can add NAIVE to your resume as well.

You lefty's are something else.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Amen! Say, hallelujah. Time to quit listening to the sound bites, packaged enticingly for your particular political leanings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aah; not so! Cain had nothing to do with the settlement. The Restaurant Assoc., who the action was against, settled with them and the only part Cain would have played was to sign a waiver indemnifying that organization from any responsibilitise to him in doing so.

In other words; the lawyers on retainer for the R/A would have decided through a simple bean counter exercise; which will ultimately cost more: paying a settlement or fighting it in court? Once that decision was made, all thoughts of Cain's reputation or the validity and merit of the supposed action went out the window and instead the lawyers for the RA at deposition taking would have approached the lawyers for the plaintiffs over coffee and asked that little question "what is it your clients are looking to achieve" And that was "all she wrote" for any thoughts of Cain's actual actions or reputation.

If they indicated they were willing to settle for a reasonable amount, and I submit a 5 figure settlement would compare VERY favourably with any kind of costs associated with a drawn out court procedings, then a cheque qith a non-disclosure attachment would have been cut within a heartbeat.

Cain had no part in either deciding or crafting the terms of the settlement at all.

Anyone doubting this takes place on a dialy basis need only talk to their personal vehicle insurance agent and you'll be in for a very big surprise to find your accident of last year resulted a settlement being paid on your behalf to the guy that ran into you at a stop sign and was at fault.

Now picture this: you're minding you own business when somone comes up and confronts you with the fact you caused their father to quit his job lose his house and become penniless due to that very accident that HE WAS AT FAULT for. Would you go berserck. Would you display outrage? Would you tell this person to take a flying f*** at a rolling donut? Would you question the veracity of the claim based on your personal knowledge and NOT having any part or say in the resultant claim decision process?

As I've said before on these boards many times: you folks worship at the alter of the mainstream media feeding you this crap that has absolutely nothing to do with any of your candidates abilities to govern but you suck it up and are prepared to judge ANY of them on stuff fed to you by news agencies with AGENDAS!

Being an informed voter implies more responsibility than accepting what the FOX, CNN, HLN and all those other bought and paid for news agencies feed you. It implies you need to have, and exercise, the capability of sorting the "wheat from the chaff"!

It's never been more imperative in your political history for you to grow a few brain cells. THIS CRAP IS THE CHAFF!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Cain has stated it was not sexual harassment, just some gal who felt uncomfortable working at the association.

The worst case to this, is that Cain may have asked a woman to his hotel room, and she did not like the offer. Either that, or she did except and they had sex, and she regrets it. Big deal! If Cain did not rape the woman, then there is no story here. Or are you afraid Cain may ask women up to his room in the White House, if he were president?
Two "gals", I guess. Who didn't know one another and didn't know about the other's allegations.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 AM

This story is a minor, in a sea of majors. And your intent focus just exemplifies that it is easy to mislead the general public from really focusing on what is important.

So, which story do you choose to focus on; the possible sex shenanigans by another politician, the persistently high unemployment, close to stall level growth in the economy, a debt rapidly approaching the point where we cannot possibly repay it, a tax code that twisted, convoluted and picks winners and losers, or the rising tsunami of mediciad/medicare/ss.

Don't be fooled into following the wrong trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I'm fully aware that it does not constitute guilt. But it constitutes a legitimate story about someone running for President of the United States.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM

What Brusan says is quoite common with businesses of any size. It is not unique to the NRA. Settlements are commonplace, regardless of the reason behind the settlement, as a matter of expediency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You seem to be way more familiar with the internal workings of the National Restaurant Association than anyone I know. I can only assume that you reviewed the allegations made to them, the internal memoranda, their assessment of the risks of litigating vs. the cost of settlement, and the degree of authority and responsibility Herman Cain had over the final resolution.

Once you provide documentation maybe we'll even believe you.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
Bimbos...who got paid...for what? We don't know. Why don't we know? Well....because there was no proof of wrongdoing...the women were not assaulted so there is no physical evidence...there were no tapes or other recordings of something Herman Cain might have said to either of them...just their word against his.

So...what do we know? We know their employment was ended and that they received a severance package. So what about the investigation? Oh...that showed no wrongdoing by Mr. Cain. Ok...so what is it that has everyone up in arms? Hmmm....uh....well....I don't know. I guess that those on the left are prepared to take the word of 2 women who won't publicly discuss their allegations against Mr. Cain, and disregard Mr. Cain's PUBLIC declaration that he did nothing wrong and never sexually or otherwise harrassed anyone. As far as I can see, Mr. Cain is the one who should be believed because he is the one PUBLICLY making the claim. His accusers refuse to do so.

So who the heck am I again?? I am a person who has an opinion. That is what this place is for last I knew.

You call me irrational when you choose to believe 2 people who refuse to open themselves and their charges up to public scrutiny and just believe what they have to say?? Without any proof? Without even knowing what they charged Mr. Cain with? Sorry....IRRATIONAL, they name is DC at the ridge.

And please...let's not pretend that women have never claimed sexual harrassment in order to make a quick buck. Because if you do, we can add NAIVE to your resume as well.

You lefty's are something else.
No, we don't KNOW if there was any proof of wrongdoing. We don't know if there was wrongdoing. We don't know if there wasn't wrongdoing. The NRA did their own investigation, and chose to settle the two independent claims. What they turned up in their investigation, whether there was proof or not, we don't know. Your assertion that there was not proof is irrational. It's not valid. You don't know what the NRA turned up in their investigation of the allegations. None of us do.

I don't choose to believe the two women. I don't care. As I've already stated. I don't care. The women were satisfied with the outcome and went on with their lives. Mr Cain has gone on with his life. I don't care to waste my time trying to figure out what really happened more than a decade ago. I am interested in how Mr Cain and his campaign handle these sorts of questions. Is he consistent, does he stay focused on his message, is it a train wreck? That's of interest, because if he were to become President, he would have to deal with many distracting issues, day in, day out.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, we don't KNOW if there was any proof of wrongdoing. We don't know if there was wrongdoing. We don't know if there wasn't wrongdoing. The NRA did their own investigation, and chose to settle the two independent claims. What they turned up in their investigation, whether there was proof or not, we don't know. Your assertion that there was not proof is irrational. It's not valid. You don't know what the NRA turned up in their investigation of the allegations. None of us do.

I don't choose to believe the two women. I don't care. As I've already stated. I don't care. The women were satisfied with the outcome and went on with their lives. Mr Cain has gone on with his life. I don't care to waste my time trying to figure out what really happened more than a decade ago. I am interested in how Mr Cain and his campaign handle these sorts of questions. Is he consistent, does he stay focused on his message, is it a train wreck? That's of interest, because if he were to become President, he would have to deal with many distracting issues, day in, day out.
Well if he was a liberal, he wouldn't have to be dealing with ANY of it would he? I mean...how long did the media ignore the Paula Jones thing with Clinton? How long did it take them to finally blow the lid off of Weiner?

THere was PUBLIC EVIDENCE in those casdes and it STILL took the media a long while to dig!! Here....all we have are allegations. No charges...No pictures...no stained dresses....nobody willing to come out and PUBLICLY say what Mr. Cain suposedly did. Yet the media and people like you demand answers?? Answers to what? Private allegations with not one shred of proof to back ANY of it?

I find that PREPOSTEROUS, and anyone looking for answers to such allegations is propsterous as well. There is NOTHING to answer. There are no charges. There is a 10 year old incident where the supposed victim refuses to come forward. There was no rape..no physical assault...yet you want an explanation?? As I said..>PREPOSTEROUS.

Until something like this becomes public, and the so-called 'victims' are willing to come out and explain, then there is NOTHING...absolutely NOTHING for Cain to answer for, whether you or the confused media think so or not.

This has no bearing on how Cain or anyone will handle the presidency!! How did Clinton handle himself when the lewinsky scandal came to light?? Did he act presidential?? No...He LIED to congress!! Did you approve of the way he handled himself as president then?? Give me a break.

There are more important things to be fixated on...not some stupid accusations that are unfounded. IN a court of law, this would never get past the DA's office to go to trial. It's a waste of time, and nothing more than a distraction to the ISSUES of what a DISASTER the current President has been.

You can try to deflect all you like...but the REAL FACTS....FACTS that we can all see everyday that are staring us in the face...are irrefutable. There are people out there campaigning with good ideas to get this country back on track...but the left wing loons won't allow that because they KNOW that if people actually are allowed to focus on the Obama record, he will have NO CHANCE at a 2nd term. And THAT my friend is the REAL reason that this load of CRAP about Herman Cain is allowed to go on and on without any basis. It has nothing at all to do with integrity, or seeing how he handles adversity. That is a load of BS and you know it.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
Well if he was a liberal, he wouldn't have to be dealing with ANY of it would he? I mean...how long did the media ignore the Paula Jones thing with Clinton? How long did it take them to finally blow the lid off of Weiner?

THere was PUBLIC EVIDENCE in those casdes and it STILL took the media a long while to dig!! Here....all we have are allegations. No charges...No pictures...no stained dresses....nobody willing to come out and PUBLICLY say what Mr. Cain suposedly did. Yet the media and people like you demand answers?? Answers to what? Private allegations with not one shred of proof to back ANY of it?

I find that PREPOSTEROUS, and anyone looking for answers to such allegations is propsterous as well. There is NOTHING to answer. There are no charges. There is a 10 year old incident where the supposed victim refuses to come forward. There was no rape..no physical assault...yet you want an explanation?? As I said..>PREPOSTEROUS.

Until something like this becomes public, and the so-called 'victims' are willing to come out and explain, then there is NOTHING...absolutely NOTHING for Cain to answer for, whether you or the confused media think so or not.

This has no bearing on how Cain or anyone will handle the presidency!! How did Clinton handle himself when the lewinsky scandal came to light?? Did he act presidential?? No...He LIED to congress!! Did you approve of the way he handled himself as president then?? Give me a break.

There are more important things to be fixated on...not some stupid accusations that are unfounded. IN a court of law, this would never get past the DA's office to go to trial. It's a waste of time, and nothing more than a distraction to the ISSUES of what a DISASTER the current President has been.

You can try to deflect all you like...but the REAL FACTS....FACTS that we can all see everyday that are staring us in the face...are irrefutable. There are people out there campaigning with good ideas to get this country back on track...but the left wing loons won't allow that because they KNOW that if people actually are allowed to focus on the Obama record, he will have NO CHANCE at a 2nd term. And THAT my friend is the REAL reason that this load of CRAP about Herman Cain is allowed to go on and on without any basis. It has nothing at all to do with integrity, or seeing how he handles adversity. That is a load of BS and you know it.
The REAL FACTS are that Cain was given 10 days advance warning that this story was about to break, and he still acted like he was blindsided, he still pointed the finger at the "liberal media", at his opponents. He was inconsistent in his public comments, defensive, and acted like this was totally out of the blue.

The REAL FACTS are that a simple statement that he had been involved in a couple of misunderstandings over a decade ago, where his motives and intent were misinterpreted. That he had learned from the incidents and moved on with his life, that he wanted to keep the focus on the campaign issues, not on personal issues that might disrupt the lives of these two women for whom he has nothing but respect. A simple, respectful statement would have served him well. (And frankly, a little respect on your part might serve you better.)

The REAL FACTS are that he didn't prepare a response, and despite the outpouring of sympathy that he received from people like yourself who have low opinions of women, he didn't handle this well, and it will hurt him in the long run.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Oh good, another poster who has read the file, knows all about what the women alleged, and how the National Restaurant Association decided to pay one of them an entire year's salary and a substantial amount to the other one.

Why didn't the press call you and get the real story?
Pick up a newspaper...!
A mind is a terrible thing to waste..!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies