Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Lefties would rather humans suffer than some animal that has no bearing on life continuing on this planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:54 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
You don't say yes to jobs until the work being done is proven safe. This pipeline puts our water supply in danger and is environmentally destructive in every mile of its path.
OH MY GOD - HEAD FOR THE HILLS. We don't already have pipelines in this country?

Quote:
If you are willing to forgo safety to people and the environment just so you can have a job, then you are INSANE.
If you think that this is what's going to happen, then I'm not the one who's insane.

Quote:
Let's all club baby seals!
Killing seals ( even as young as 11 days old ) is LEGAL in many places.

Quote:
Let's all slash-and-burn the forests! Why? Because there's jobs, I tell ya, J-O-B-S!
Let's kill jobs by confiscating wood used in the making of Gibson guitars. Wood they purchased legally.

Quote:
We should be fixing roads.
Someone could get killed by a motorist while fixing a road. Better not do it.

Quote:
We should be restoring neighborhoods.
Why restore a neighborhood with bullets flying over your head? Sounds unsafe to me.

Quote:
We need to be fixing schools, teaching children, ALL the things that we need before we focus one dime on an ill-conceived and destructive for-profit pipeline that will ultimately only benefit corporations that don't pay taxes.
All of the taxpayer jobs that you have described already exist. We need 50,000 more jobs so that people can eat. And they will pay TAXES too. Also, buying oil from Canada helps reduce dependency on the Middle East.

Quote:
Another fine example of government ( Obama ) and corporations colluding to privatize the profits and socialize both the real and potential losses.

Yup, society wouldn't benefit from 50,000 new well paying jobs. One immediate benefit is that jobs allow people to keep their homes. Ever think of that?

It seems obvious that society would be better if everyone would just sit around begging.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Yeah that Alaska pipeline sure destroyed the poor caribou the lefties were howling about back in the day too didn't it?? Ooops nope.

Obama wants it pushed past the election so he can lie some more to the enviro loons. He has ordered dirty harry to shelf everything this year it appears then goes out squealing about how the republicans are doing nothing for the po workin folks of the US. Simply pathetic.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:12 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
You don't say yes to jobs until the work being done is proven safe. This pipeline puts our water supply in danger and is environmentally destructive in every mile of its path. If you are willing to forgo safety to people and the environment just so you can have a job, then you are insane. Let's all club baby seals! Let's all slash-and-burn the forests! Why? Because there's jobs, I tell ya, J-O-B-S! I'm goin' to Californy for gold!

We should be fixing roads, building and repairing bridges, restoring neighborhoods, fixing schools, teaching children, ALL the things that we need before we focus one dime on an ill-conceived and destructive for-profit pipeline that will ultimately only benefit corporations that don't pay taxes. Another fine example of government and corporations colluding to privatize the profits and socialize both the real and potential losses.
The things we "should" be doing are already funded. They were actually double funded with the stimulous. You want more. I ask why? Where is the highway bill? Apparently you enjoy dumping billions into failed "green" companies of public money that produce NOTHING. Typical lefty.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
OK, environmental concerns withstanding there are huge property rights issues with this pipeline that should have so called conservatives riled-up. The private company building this is already asking states to evoke eminent domain against property owners who are not agreeing with their offered land-lease terms. Thanks about that, a foreign owned private company is looking to take property for private use via the power of the state. That's a huge deal in my book.

This pipeline isn't about lessening our dependence on foreign oil, it's about getting Canadian owned crude to refiners and shipping tankers in the Gulf. But don't let the facts get in the way of blaming 'lefties, libs, and Nobama," as you like to do.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Greg...There is an interesting conundrum with regard to this pipeline. Because, the U.S. lacks the excess refining capacity, the complete pipeline plan call for it running all the way to the gulf. That crude oil would then be exported.

We lack the refining capacity to absorb the crude supplied by this pipeline, due to, Ta Da!, EPA regulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OPEC must love the idea of our importing oil they do not control.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:30 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
I wouldn't blame that on the EPA. The refining industry isn't keen on adding a lot of capacity. Restrict supply and you keep gasoline prices higher.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:10 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
OH MY GOD - HEAD FOR THE HILLS.
Jobs are great. Jobs that involve polluting the environment or exposing our waterways to risk of permanent damage are worth considering carefully. You believe that such things are ignorable in this instance. I don't and I never will. Your surgical line-by-line dissection of my post involved ridiculous comparisons and unrelated items that only convinced me that the whole point of your post was to emphasize the zeal of your opposition and, unfortunately for you, it exposed the simplicity of your thinking. A quick solution to this issue and the condemnation of alternatives or delays is not appropriate here.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Jobs are great. Jobs that involve polluting the environment or exposing our waterways to risk of permanent damage are worth considering carefully. You believe that such things are ignorable in this instance. I don't and I never will. Your surgical line-by-line dissection of my post involved ridiculous comparisons and unrelated items that only convinced me that the whole point of your post was to emphasize the zeal of your opposition and, unfortunately for you, it exposed the simplicity of your thinking. A quick solution to this issue and the condemnation of alternatives or delays is not appropriate here.
You do know that pipelines in themselves don't pollute a damn thing don't you; they're inert! You do know pipelines have a better environmental record than either tankers or at-sea drilling platforms don't you?

All those movie actors (who don't need jobs) telling you this will spell doom to the aquifers it crosses over top of neglect to tell you that that oil is currently being tankered across the oceans and trucked through your states to the same destinations, but that little carbon footprint isn't anything to consider?

How fffffn stupid is that?

Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
OK, environmental concerns withstanding there are huge property rights issues with this pipeline that should have so called conservatives riled-up. The private company building this is already asking states to evoke eminent domain against property owners who are not agreeing with their offered land-lease terms. Thanks about that, a foreign owned private company is looking to take property for private use via the power of the state. That's a huge deal in my book.

This pipeline isn't about lessening our dependence on foreign oil, it's about getting Canadian owned crude to refiners and shipping tankers in the Gulf. But don't let the facts get in the way of blaming 'lefties, libs, and Nobama," as you like to do.
Outstanding points! And, oh, the irony that the Righties aren't up in arms about liberty and justice for all against Trans Canada's tactics in OUR country:

Dozens of landowners in rural Nebraska have sought legal protection after they claim they were subjected to bullying and threats of legal action from a Canadian pipeline company that wants to cut across their land.

..."TransCanada has had land agents out talking to these people and telling them they have to make a deal with TransCanada now or they'll be taken to court," Domina told CTVNews.ca from his Omaha office.

"Lots of people have had somebody wander onto their place and tell them 'Look, give me what I want or you'll be taken to court.' They need a lawyer."

Pressure builds in Nebraska over TransCanada pipeline - CTV News

Nice -- real nice.

Hey, where's the outrage, conservatives???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies