Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:05 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times

Advertisements

Should you just take advantage of the foreclosure process clog-up in the courts and live rent free for a year or two?

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/new...ee,-worry-free

Quote:
As Florida drowns in some of the nation's highest foreclosure rates, some homeowners in foreclosure like Alex Gregg and the Pembertons are finding a way to stick it back to the bank. They are hiring a foreclosure defense attorneys like Mark Stopa, who, for a $1500 fee, advises them to stop paying their mortgage and stay put. All while Stopa fights the case in court.
Most of the time it takes a year, sometimes two years to clear it up -- and it's all legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 09:08 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
No, responsible which seems to be an attribute in short supply these days.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
No. Certainly you shouldn't have gone under water except for something tangible, maybe those home improvements you thought you had to have, or your child's college education that should be paying off very nicely with a great job and he or she will be happy to help you pay back the loans you took out.

You have to live somewhere -- and if you walk away, you'll be renting, foreclosure and walking away stays on your credit report for a few years.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
I don't know what sort of restoration business this guy has but I certainly would not hire him and I doubt that anyone in St. Petersburg will after this article.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:32 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
It's not the bank's fault for the homeowner being underwater on their mortgage. There is no clause in the mortgage paperwork guaranteeing the value of your property. People are just so accustomed to using their homes as ATM machines and had the faulty belief that their home's value would continue to increase over time. Their fault.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Should you just take advantage of the foreclosure process clog-up in the courts and live rent free for a year or two?

Families in foreclosure live rent free, worry free

Nope, as some have said, merely responsible. If the person was a sucker buying the house in the first place, now that is the real question.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:00 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
It's not the bank's fault for the homeowner being underwater on their mortgage. There is no clause in the mortgage paperwork guaranteeing the value of your property. People are just so accustomed to using their homes as ATM machines and had the faulty belief that their home's value would continue to increase over time. Their fault.
Yep, it was easy as heck to tell those homes were poor investments. When you looked at the home prices over several years compared to the spike, warning bells should have been going off like crazy for people.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 AM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
I couldnt care less if my home is worth 10000 or 300000 $ the mortgage is very compfortable and cheaper than rent plus the security of a place to hang my hat. these people worship money to much to think rationally and have no future. yeah stick it to the bank cause you cant flip realestate any more, thats not a home its greed.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I couldnt care less if my home is worth 10000 or 300000 $ the mortgage is very compfortable and cheaper than rent plus the security of a place to hang my hat. these people worship money to much to think rationally and have no future. yeah stick it to the bank cause you cant flip realestate any more, thats not a home its greed.
True. Unless you were really dumb and took out one of those ARM kind of mortgages, praying or gambling that the rate would really stay fixed, you bought the house you could afford, and a payment you could make. Why damage your credit rating and be unable to ever own a house again just because now you don't feel like making the payment?

Old 08-14-2011, 01:33 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,347 times
Would the rich keep paying if they were in a similiar situation? Is it legal to stop paying? If no then the answer to the first question is yes and if it's ok for them it's ok for the lower income people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies