Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,861,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Why do they need leaders or a message?
So, when you hop in the car to go to the grocery store - do you just start it up, put it into drive, and just hope it finds its way there?

Or do you use the steering wheel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:12 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,664,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Leaderless and no demands. What have they been doing for the past 8 weeks???? Oh, yeah, squatting.

If, just thinking aloud, they managed to identify their "demands", and had an opportunity to present them to a "board", do all of them expect to show up and speak one at a time?? or are they going to do a "mic check"???
I heard the mayor of Atlanta on NPR two weeks ago. He started out sympathetic to the cause, but he concluded it was just idiotic and not worth his time. When he started seeing people walking around with AK-47s in downtown parks, he knew it was time to shut this little theatrical show down. The lady interviewing the mayor was trying to paint him as the bad guy, but she was not successful. The mayor insisted on seeing some demands, and once he did, he thought they were too stupid to even bother with. He wanted to know what specifically, they wanted from the city of Atlanta -- of course they couldn't come up with anything -- just some ramblings about what's wrong with "the system, man".

Old 11-17-2011, 11:12 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Samantha Bee certainly did a good job of pointing out how really silly this whole thing is. A divided populace with no middle class and groups of the upper class meeting in a huge bank's atrium to avoid the noise of the lower class. How ironic is it for a group to come "together" hating and fighting banks and then using a part of one of those banks.

She really pointed out the real problems of the group but failed to get any pictures of them "voting" with their fingers to arrive at a consensus. I have always wondered if a consensus meant just a majority vote or if it needed more than half.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is almost comical. They hate leadership and hierarchy so much, they refuse to even have their own leaders. All they have is their anger and their bitterness. With no direction and no focus, OWS will self-destruct.

Occupy divides over whether to make demands - US news - Life - msnbc.com
Which of us is changing? I tend to agree with you as much as I did when first coming here and that had changed so much in between. Something is going on and I don't like the Occupy groups.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:15 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
sure they do, they want the cheese back who took it?
they are mostly recent college grads with no jobs.
the problem we all know is off shoring and giving all the trade jobs to the illegals.
but if these college kids were to join a union and fight it, you would come down on them twice as hard.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:17 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,387,364 times
I've watched these folks fairly closely and I cannot tell what it is they want. I can tell though that whatever it is, they want it BADLY.

I really think they are trying to create a big outdoor student union.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:18 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,639,520 times
Quote:
This is almost comical. They hate leadership and hierarchy so much, they refuse to even have their own leaders. All they have is their anger and their bitterness. With no direction and no focus, OWS will self-destruct.
Perhaps this helps to explain why they've been out there in the streets for more than two months, and accomplished nothing beyond creating some sanitary hazards and a little internet video footage. If they've managed to bring down any of the financial institutions they're supposed to be railing against, it didn't make any of this morning's newscasts.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,882,592 times
Basically they want WS Banks and Large Businesses to quit buying Politicians. They know, Politicians don't have the strength of character to shun being bought, so they are trying to get the buyers out of that market. If the Pols are no longer being bought, some will exit the cash cow arena and that will allow Representatives of the American people, to get in.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,967,414 times
Quote:

Occupy divides over whether to make demands - US news - Life - msnbc.com
I said in the very beginning that they are not made up of one group with one goal, yet some here kept trying to tell us what their agenda is and who they are. All it takes is 5 minutes of researching the facts to know this, obviously it was too much time or too difficult for some here to accomplish. Thanks for the sanity.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,967,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Which of us is changing? I tend to agree with you as much as I did when first coming here and that had changed so much in between. Something is going on and I don't like the Occupy groups.
But do you know WHY you don't like them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies