Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:40 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

It seems that the Senate is getting ready to vote on this sad excuse for a law without much, if any, debate. It is being supported by members of both parties but some of the better enemies of it have read the parts that I don't want to see.

Oh well maybe we can plan on the House kicking this one in the butt and saving all of us who aren't liberal in thought and posting. I am toast if this thing passes.

» Senate Moves To Allow Military To Intern Americans Without Trial Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 11:08 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
The White House has threatened to Veto the bill if those sections remain and Senator Mark Udall D-Colorado is offering an Amendment to remove those sections from the bill

Old 11-26-2011, 11:08 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,097,596 times
Duplicate thread.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:36 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,640,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It seems that the Senate is getting ready to vote on this sad excuse for a law without much, if any, debate. It is being supported by members of both parties but some of the better enemies of it have read the parts that I don't want to see.

Oh well maybe we can plan on the House kicking this one in the butt and saving all of us who aren't liberal in thought and posting. I am toast if this thing passes.

» Senate Moves To Allow Military To Intern Americans Without Trial Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
"The bill was drafted in secret by Senators Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.), before being passed in a closed-door committee meeting without any kind of hearing."

Well, there's a couple names to remember...

Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The White House has threatened to Veto the bill if those sections remain and Senator Mark Udall D-Colorado is offering an Amendment to remove those sections from the bill
His amendment doesn't remove the wording; it adds the word "abroad" to clarify that the military can only detain those captured "abroad".

There is another thread on this and I posted links to the bill, the amendments (all 200+ mostly asking for money) and a link to the amendment itself.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
They've had that right since the patriot act was signed.

All they have to do is declare you as an "enemy combatant".

Old 11-27-2011, 06:54 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,059,627 times
Alex Jones Roy? Try and find some one who isn't a raving paranoid schizophrenic waiting for the black helicopters "any day now" (for the last 15+ years).

Old 11-27-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Alex Jones Roy? Try and find some one who isn't a raving paranoid schizophrenic waiting for the black helicopters "any day now" (for the last 15+ years).

But this is how it starts. Its dramatically harder to take back power, then it is to give it away.

We allowed the Bush administration to circumvent the legal system that we have, our one real line of defense against the government, because we were scared of the terrorists.

I have been telling people for a long time that terrorism is nothing to fear, and that the eroding of power from the American people to live free without being watched, without being whisked away to a CIA off shore base, without being robbed of their money by a military industrial complex that loves for Americans to be scared.

But very few are listening.

I know that the men and women are probably writing these laws to better protect us. But it serves a dangerous precedent, and just because government now isn't abusing its power, doesn't mean that government in 10 years won't abuse the wide powers we've given them.

I just want the government to leave me alone. My risk of terrorist attack is minimal at best, and lessens the less involvement we have in the rest of the world. We kill far more people then the terrorists do, but that isn't on the TV every night.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:21 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,059,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But this is how it starts. Its dramatically harder to take back power, then it is to give it away.

We allowed the Bush administration to circumvent the legal system that we have, our one real line of defense against the government, because we were scared of the terrorists.

I have been telling people for a long time that terrorism is nothing to fear, and that the eroding of power from the American people to live free without being watched, without being whisked away to a CIA off shore base, without being robbed of their money by a military industrial complex that loves for Americans to be scared.

But very few are listening.

I know that the men and women are probably writing these laws to better protect us. But it serves a dangerous precedent, and just because government now isn't abusing its power, doesn't mean that government in 10 years won't abuse the wide powers we've given them.

I just want the government to leave me alone. My risk of terrorist attack is minimal at best, and lessens the less involvement we have in the rest of the world. We kill far more people then the terrorists do, but that isn't on the TV every night.
That must be one of the stupidest arguments I have ever read. Since you don't like what is going on, we should believe a raving lunatic of what is happening in the world...just because he speaks out against the same people?

Even a child has better reasoning skills then that, and probably wouldn't believe a raving nut like Jones that I'm pretty sure blames a conspiracy of bean producers every time he passes gas.

At least Jones has an explanation, he's crazy. The people who believe him without question after 15 years of people pointing out he's madder then a hatter don't have such a good excuse. Well, unless they are mad too I guess. It's good that Jones has turned his madness into a profit generating enterprise, taking advantage of the stupid and mad with extra cash. I do enjoy how he is able to fleece people using his schizophrenia, unlike most that end up under bridges and on street corners.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
That must be one of the stupidest arguments I have ever read. Since you don't like what is going on, we should believe a raving lunatic of what is happening in the world...just because he speaks out against the same people?

Even a child has better reasoning skills then that, and probably wouldn't believe a raving nut like Jones that I'm pretty sure blames a conspiracy of bean producers every time he passes gas.

At least Jones has an explanation, he's crazy. The people who believe him without question after 15 years of people pointing out he's madder then a hatter don't have such a good excuse. Well, unless they are mad too I guess. It's good that Jones has turned his madness into a profit generating enterprise, taking advantage of the stupid and mad with extra cash. I do enjoy how he is able to fleece people using his schizophrenia, unlike most that end up under bridges and on street corners.

So a crazy person shouldn't be listened to at all?

If a person who has questionable mental ability eats a piece of dog crap, and tells you it tastes like crap, will you discount his position just because he is crazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies