Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,345,547 times

Advertisements

How does the payroll tax holiday help retirees? It doesn't. It is tough to get any income on investments with rates so low. Those who planned on using the equity in their homes to help fund their retirement are SOL. Plus, many are still supporting kids who can't get jobs. Food, energy and property tax increases are also killers for a fixed income.
So stop funding Social Security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 12:11 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,881,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
How does the payroll tax help retirees? It doesn't. It is tough to get any income on investments with rates so low. Those who planned on using the equity in their homes to help fund their retirement are SOL. Plus, many are still supporting kids who can't get jobs. Food, energy and property tax increases are also killers for a fixed income.
Who's planning to stop funding SS, well, other than Paul Ryan some years from now?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 PM

The payroll tax funds social security.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,881,188 times
Quote:
The payroll tax funds social security.
Err, as is true now, SS will continue to be funded from general tax receipts.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,964,849 times
Quote:
How does the payroll tax holiday help retirees? It doesn't. It is tough to get any income on investments with rates so low. Those who planned on using the equity in their homes to help fund their retirement are SOL. Plus, many are still supporting kids who can't get jobs. Food, energy and property tax increases are also killers for a fixed income.
How does the payroll tax holiday help people that do not work? It doesn't. What is your point. You don't want to help the working people in the U.S.? Is that what you are saying?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
How does the payroll tax holiday help people that do not work? It doesn't. What is your point. You don't want to help the working people in the U.S.? Is that what you are saying?
It is the unemployed that need the help, not those lucky enough to have jobs. And I'm not talking about unemployment insurance. I mean jobs. This temporary tax cut won't help. It is like a tax rebate. They don't create jobs.

If there was more employment the housing market would come back too.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:34 PM

If you want to stimulate employment cut regulations including Obama care and watch what happens to the stock market and the job market.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,964,849 times
Quote:
It is the unemployed that need the help, not those lucky enough to have jobs. And I'm not talking about unemployment insurance. I mean jobs. This temporary tax cut won't help. It is like a tax rebate. They don't create jobs.

If there was more employment the housing market would come back too.
Well what does the middle class do with money. They spend it almost as fast as they get it because they little discretionary money. When you spend money you create demand, demand causes business to expand, business expansion means more jobs...

Old 12-02-2011, 12:45 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,235,634 times
Quote:
If you want to stimulate employment cut regulations including Obama care and watch what happens to the stock market and the job market.
As a retiree I have found that Obama Care is starting to work and it will not be fully working till 2013-14. My pre medicare medical has stopped going up the benefits have expanded. My friends who have medicare tell me there part A and B are going to drop next year as well as there secondary. I think it should work well.
As to the stock market the demograpics are against a large rise. The largest group(Boomers,you and I), are moving assets to the sec. funds with lower risk. The biggest problem will be deflation as the new employees will be making mush less in start up positions as we retire

Old 12-02-2011, 12:52 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,235,634 times
Quote:

The answer is to fund from a different source. The Dems have a plan and the Repub.have a plan both failed last night so now once they get done talking to the tv people they might be able to put something that will pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies