Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:40 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, what I don't agree with is the average...I would like to see the numbers they used.....

I also understand what average means......

Like this.....If you have a company that 50 people, 10 people make 1 million, and the rest make 100K.....

The average is $280,000

Would you believe that? If you were one of those workers who make $100,000?
I had no idea officers make a million in the military. I should have stayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 07:43 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Police Officers do the same thing. We don't pay for their meals?
I'm always amazed how many idiots there are in life ...

Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 PM

12 posts, read 8,190 times
Cause being in a warzone isolated from family getting shot at sucks.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:00 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
This thread is an absolute train wreck.

Anyone who's been in the military should know what Basic Allowance for Subsistance (BAS) is and how it works:
Quote:
Originally Posted by militarypay.defense.gov/pay/bas/
BAS is meant to offset costs for a member's meals. This allowance is based in the historic origins of the military in which the military provided room and board (or rations) as part of a member's pay. This allowance is not intended to offset the costs of meals for family members.
Beginning on January 1 2002, all enlisted members get full BAS, but pay for their meals (including those provided by the government). This is the culmination of the BAS Reform transition period.
Because BAS is intended to provide meals for the service member, its level is linked to the price of food. Therefore, each year it is adjusted based upon the increase of the price of food as measured by the USDA food cost index. This is why the increase to BAS will not necessarily be the same percentage as that applied to the increase in the pay table, as annual pay raises are linked to the increase of private sector wages.
For 2011, officers receive $223.84/month, enlisted receive $325.04/month. As an allowance, it is part of a member's pay and is exempt from income taxes. There are situations where a member does not receive BAH, usually when they are in a training or deployment status where the government is providing their meals. They are effectively paying for these meals with their BAS.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:51 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
I had no idea officers make a million in the military. I should have stayed.
O.K., I'll break it down kindergarten style for ya......

An O-10 (Over 40 years) make on a yearly basis $230,868.

An E-6 (Over 40 years) make $43080

The total is $273,948, the average is $137, 947.....

Does that even remotely sound correct? Is it mathematically correct, yes it is....

Oh and BTW, that is base pay.....no housing allowances, extra pay or anything like that....so that average just goes WAY up if you add everything else in....

And that was a nice deflection from my original point.....

I said this company...had 50 people....not the military...

Don't worry though.....we still understand you hate the military...even thou you were getting those pay stubs....

Old 12-04-2011, 05:23 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
O.K., I'll break it down kindergarten style for ya......

An O-10 (Over 40 years) make on a yearly basis $230,868.

An E-6 (Over 40 years) make $43080

The total is $273,948, the average is $137, 947.....

Does that even remotely sound correct? Is it mathematically correct, yes it is....

Oh and BTW, that is base pay.....no housing allowances, extra pay or anything like that....so that average just goes WAY up if you add everything else in....

And that was a nice deflection from my original point.....

I said this company...had 50 people....not the military...

Don't worry though.....we still understand you hate the military...even thou you were getting those pay stubs....
Officers get paid more. What is your point. They are still in the military. I loved being in the Military. It was a lot of fun. Made a lot of friends. I still celebrate on November 10 and before I go to bed every night I say goodnight Chesty Puller wherever you are. Semper Fi.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times
Quote:
Police Officers do the same thing. We don't pay for their meals?
When Cops are deployed to Iraq and Afganistan for years at a time. We'll talk.

How about we skip the free lunch and reward them with their jobs, when returning from war. I'm sure they would rather have the latter.

Are you aware some military members receive public assistance.?

Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
The lunch is not free. It comes out of meal allowance.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Do school children have a funded meal allowance? No, they do not. The taxpayers pick up the tab.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:23 AM

175 posts, read 302,564 times
Quote:
I have been in the military. When were in the field we either ate MRE's or an occasional hot meal. When we were on base we got three meals a day, which were far better than anything that I received at lunch in high school, and we did not have to pay for them. The base Chow Hall was no different than any other Cafeteria.
Haven't read the whole thread yet so someone else may have mentioned this. To respond to another comment, not all barracks rooms have a full oven and refrigerator. I was lucky to be in the new barracks back in garrison which did have a microwave, full fridge, and stove. However, there was no oven so it still limited me on what I could cook in certain ways. There were people that were in older barracks though and the most they had was a microwave and mini-fridge.

I'm deployed right now so obviously it's different at the moment. However, when I'm in garrison I don't make as much as you say and on top of that, they weren't technically free meals. They take almost $300 out of my paycheck for BAS which makes it seem like it's free because they refer to that $300 or whatever as your food allowance but it would definitely be preferable by many of us if that money was actually going to us to use personally for food rather than going straight to the DFACs (dining facilities). It's basically money we never see unless you make it to the DFAC for every meal. For many of us, that's unlikely to happen. The DFACs basically have the same food over and over every 2 weeks (if not even more frequent). I don't know many people who want to eat the same thing all the time like that. So instead that $300 goes to other people even if it's supposedly "mine" because I don't get to the DFAC often enough to have it worth that much. I end up spending money on other food instead from the stores out of my much less base pay (doesn't come out to much extra after bills). Plus most DFACs have certain hours you have to get there by so that's another reason it can be difficult depending on your work hours.

Overall, I really don't see it as free food at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies