Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:05 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Well, no preference is given in the suggestions - it says...

So they won't put their suggestions in writing, but they will advise verbally. How convenient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Please refer me to any statement in the article that orders less deserving students to receive preference..I'll wait.
Little comprehension problem, Frozenyo. Did you even read the reply or just not want to understand it?

No "suggestions in writing" but they will adivse verbally. Just how is it possible to refer you to a verbal statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
If you want to address racial diversity in college then attack the problem; don't create "special" exceptions for those who would not make it on academics alone.

Why is it that government never wants to attack the problem ? I guess it's easier to use money for bandaid solutions that make the problem cease to exist on the outside only.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Using race as a determining factor in university and college acceptance is inherently racist. I can almost get on board with limited preference based on SES, but solely on race? It's absurdly racist but not surprising coming from this POTUS who likes to incite class and race warfare.
That is exactly what I was thinking when reading the article. Is this something he came up with? Was there a recent civil rights movement that we missed?

To be honest, if I was black and made my way through college based on my scores and ability, I would find this an insult. This would create resentment and more division between races. What on earth is this man thinking?

If he wants to do something about education he might want to look closer at the inner city elementary and high schools as well as those in poor neighborhoods - of all races. That's where the education begins and those schools are crap and those children are being cheated. Fix those schools and children coming out of them would have a better chance at getting into college based on their ability to score a place in college, as it should be.

Last edited by softblueyz; 12-03-2011 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

To be honest, if I was black and made my way through college based on my scores and ability, I would find this an insult. This would create resentent and more division between races. What on earth is this man thinking?
Obama is thinking of the 2012 election, that's what. He thinks he will shore up the black vote by instituting preferential treatment for blacks, but he does so at the risk of losing the moderate and conservative democrat support. Most successful college educated blacks who have succeeded in life based on their own merits are adamantly against affirmative action and racial quotas. They understand that institutional racism such as that hurts blacks overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
If he wants to do something about education he might want to look closer at the inner city elementary and high schools as well as those in poor neighborhoods - of all races. That's where the education begins and those schools are crap and those children are being cheated. Fix those schools and children coming out of them would have a better chance at getting into college based on their ability to score a place in college, as it should be.
But affirmative action policies are sooooo much easier!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:54 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Little comprehension problem, Frozenyo. Did you even read the reply or just not want to understand it?

No "suggestions in writing" but they will adivse verbally. Just how is it possible to refer you to a verbal statement?
"Suggestions is writing" does NOT mean less deserving students will be shown preference. Please cite where in the article it states that less deserving students will receive preference. Thanks. I'll wait. .

Old 12-03-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Speaking of having no idea what you are talking about.

Giving preference to a minority when they are not qualified is class warfare and in this case, racism by one who claims to want to eliminate it.

If these "poor people blacks included" want the opportunity (not the unearned automatic placement) perhaps they should study and apply whatever resources they have and work for it. The "gift" is a slap in the face inferring that there is no other way for them to accomplish their goal without government interference.
Please refer me to excatly in the article where "giving preference to a minority when they are not qualified" will be urged..Again, I'll wait. I know facts tend to get in the way of a good Obama hate rant but they (facts) are what actually matter not your biased inferences.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Please refer me to excatly in the article where "giving preference to a minority when they are not qualified" will be urged..Again, I'll wait. I know facts tend to get in the way of a good Obama hate rant but they (facts) are what actually matter not your biased inferences.
Oh come on. If their grades were as high then there wouldn't be a diversity "issue" would there ?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:03 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
Quote:
"Suggestions is writing" does NOT mean less deserving students will be shown preference. Please cite where in the article it states that less deserving students will receive preference. Thanks. I'll wait. .
It's called a logical conclusion. If merit were the only determining factor, then why the need to target specific ways to boost minority enrollment? If they aren't already gaining acceptance, then they are inherently less deserving if merit is the only determinant.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh come on. If their grades were as high then there wouldn't be a diversity "issue" would there ?
Please refer me to where in the article in states that less deserving students will be shown preference. I'll wait..The strawman that you all created in this thread has flatlined.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
It's called a logical conclusion. If merit were the only determining factor, then why the need to target specific ways to boost minority enrollment? If they aren't already gaining acceptance, then they are inherently less deserving if merit is the only determinant.
It's not, it's called your biased infered conclusion. You obviously don't understand how admissions work in many universities which including family alumni status, political influence etc...AGAIN, please refer me to where in the article it states that schools will be urged to accept less deserving students. I want that statement, not a biased inference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies