Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:35 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
brian, even before guns there were still criminals and murders. Before firearms we used axes, arrows, clubs, spears, and the list goes on. Mankind has been at war with itself as long as man has stood upright. THis is not going to change, and it is a utopian dream to think that we can or will eliminate violence in not only our society, but any society. A properly used firearm levels the playing field and allows the weaker a chance of survival against a more powerful foe. I am an older man of small stature. I am a easy target to a criminal as are many in our society. We are preyed upon by those who would try to take not only our finances, but our lives. There is an old saying. "Dead men don't testify." This has been the model of criminals for centuries and sadly, you won't change it by eliminating the ability to allow citizens to defend themselves. I hope I never am forced to kill anyone with my firearms, but before my life or the lives of my loved ones are taken, I will without question do so. I refuse to lay my life or anyone that I love before the alter of a madman. If you chose to do so, then I hope when the time comes that someone takes your life, it is quick and painless... Good luck....
I'm not exactly worrying about someone possibly taking my life.
Still, thanks for your condolences..

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Hi Brian.

So? Are you saying most law-abiding gun-owners do NOT believe in "peace"? Do they believe in violence and war? What individual gun owner do you know who espouses such a viewpoint?

Brian, I am afraid that nothing presented to you is going to shake you out of your fantasy world. In fact -- with all due respect -- your posts are becoming so unreal that I am honestly starting to wonder if you are not putting us all on. Seriously.

You talk in pure abstractions that are almost impossible to discuss because they are so vague and disconnected to the real world. What is "peace" anyway? It can mean anything from the absence of war to a Mexican standoff. But that strays off into foriegn policy issues, and not the topic here so much...

The point you are seemingly impervious to getting is that there are those out there who do not want peaceful solutions to problems in the way most oridinary people would understand the concept. Their idea of "peace" (if it exists at all) is to get whatever they want and the other party offer no resistance. It is not centered around obeying the rules and laws of society to begin with and embracing the Golden Rule.

The essence of our discussion/debate -- IMHO -- is your adament refusal to recognize that there are some out there who are just bad people. These predators get a thrill -- sexual or ego or powerwise -- out of hurting/torturing/violating other people. There are also many more general predatory street type muggers and robbers who are not necessarily serial killer types, but will kill you over $5, whether you give it to them or not (convenience store clerks and taxi drivers are common victims of this breed of scum). They have absolutely no sense of morality, and to try and talk to them about "right and wrong" is about as productive as telling a Great White shark they shouldn't eat you if they are hungry. For you to think (as you indicated on several threads) that you would be able to "reason" or "discuss" or hold a dialogue with those types, is just naivety of the most extreme sort.

So to come back around to your quote, how do we get there so far as peace is concerned? First of all, "we" recognize the reality that not everyone out there places a high value on it. For the rest of us who desire to live in peace with our fellow human beings, we go with that old adage of "Pray for Peace, but be prepared for war'

I mentioned correction (and police officers) as to illustrate the vast gap in reality between those like you whose exposure to the hardcore criminal element in a protected environment as opposed to those who deal with them on the streets as they really are, and/or in environments (prison) where "rules" are very different from a counselors office. The former is always an uneasy truce at best...

You are right in one limited realm. The sucess rate for rehabiliation is poor. BUT? Ever consider that the reason for such is that there are just some out there who cannot be rehabiliated? And even have no desire to be? They find a life of crime and violence exciting, profitable and fun. You simply refuse -- in spite of all evidence otherwise concerning the reality behind the true sociopathic/criminal personality -- to believe it exists.

The failure is not a lack of "trying" rehabilitation (as ought to be evident by the decades of this approach), but the simple reality that it just doesn't work; the whole premise is at odds with human nature.

*sighs* Ok, sing Kumba-Ya if you want, but this is just another example of your detachment from the real world. In fact, it -- if you examine it on a deeper level -- even refutes your own premise that "we" could do anything of the sort. For one thing, a truly free society is not articulated into any single entity capable of doing any such thing. It would be the opposite of a peaceful society, as in the sense of a tranquil one, at the very least. For instance, you speak of re-doing society? Please answer your own question. To radically transform society? Hell, it would take a tyranny to enforce, which naturally involves force and the guns you claim to hate being concentrated into the very government which you speak ill of.

As David Horowitz once said, in effect, "Gulags and graveyards are filled with the millions of victims of this type utopian thinking..."

Well, tell us what they are? This "new model", that is? You are cheating us all out of something if you do not have the answer or plan...past some shadowy phrase about "needing" to find it!

And why is killing dangerous people "hypocritical"? Assuming it is done under natural laws of self-defense? Hypocritical relative to what? Of course, I realize you do not accept the existence of the right to self-defense, so perhaps my own question was answered...

Sure calling the police will be the right thing to do...if you have the luxury of time and safety to do so! However, that is usually not the case if your door is being kicked down, or someone, after robbing you, tells you to lay down on the floor....or perhaps they have your wife/children at their mercy...

Anyway, as several have pointed out, the SCOTUS has ruled the police have no obligation to protect any one individual. They are not personal bodyguards, and you can bet they are not going to be there when the situation becomes critical because even the dumbest of criminals usually do not ply their trade when a cop is around and handy.

Uhhhh, that absolutely wasn't what I said, Brian. What I said was that by calling the police (which you advised as an option) you are essentially paying someone else to do your dirty work for you. That is to say, you seem to personally disdain and shun the option of using deadly force to protect yourself from a criminal assault....but you don't mind calling upon someone else to potentially do it for you. There is a big difference here and I want it noted for the record!

The stun-gun remark just illustrates again your disconnect to how things really are. Not withstanding that police are trained in the use of "stun guns", do you know anything about them at all?

A stun-gun has to be "up close and personal". That will not do one a bit of good if the other person has a gun or knife and absolutely willing to use it. A taser is better if the situation does not require immediate deadly force. Pepper spray can work well too. But even then, there are some who are so hopped up on drugs or just flat out crazy and mean that are not affected by it. In those case, there is NO realistic option other than a gun...whether or not used to disarm the subject or actually -- in the most extreme situation -- protect your own life and/or that of a third party.

But of course, I realize that is not the way it is in your Never Never Land!

I sure do...but with opposite conclusions of what you probably intended!

Merry Christmas and Peace on Earth.
Hi TexasReb,
Before commenting on the above, I just wanted to add that I think most people in the US would try to avoid the use of guns in a dangerous situation. Life isn't a old western rerun (well, maybe for some..), and people are a bit more complicated and varied than we tend to paint them these days (ie. democrat vs. republican, liberal vs. conservative, etc).

I have never said that we should just let criminals walk the streets without punishment or detainment. What I said is that the US correctional system is failing miserably. It's immature to think that "just locking people up" can solve society's problems. (I believe the same immature mentality reigns within much of our consumer society. We produce products for profits without any real plan to deal with the pollution and harm to the environment that is being done.)

You say that gun owners are "pro-peace." But peace means not engaging in conflict. If a person is willing to engage in conflict, than he is not completely "pro-peace." At least not the way I see it.

I agree with your statements that some people are simply out to get what they can. In fact, I'd say that we shouldn't limit ourselves to thinking about the "mere" criminal on the street. We can even refer to multi-national corporations and governments that are interested in getting as much out of others as they can. Sometimes all it takes is a signature.
So, the criminal activity is happening on all societial levels, from the poorest to the richest. One might kill for 5 dollars. The other kills for millions, lands, etc.

And of course, they ought to be stopped. (And maybe some can't be rehabilitated. So they probably ought not be set free, don't you agree?)

I assure you that there are whole societies of people who are against the use of violence. Examples? How about the Quakers, the Amish? What about the many peace groups that are against all forms of violence? The truth is, that we can act for peace if we believe in it. If we don't believe it is possible, then what can I say?

Regarding calling the police, stun-guns, etc, it would seem that I really am out-of-touch with what instruments are available today (in 2011) to immobilize a would-be aggressor. If things are as you say, that police have no good options but to actually shoot an aggressor, than it really is true that people still aren't looking to improve society. Guns shouldn't even need to be an "option" in the third millenium. You mean to tell me that we can send astronauts into space but we don't have anything other than guns to stop burglars???

Again: I'm not saying that people need to be completely pacifist in order to improve society. Finding an alternative that would immobilize potentially dangerous criminals would be a good start. At least it would eliminate the hypocrisy of "do as I say, not as I do" that is inherent in killing.

Peace,
brian

Old 12-13-2011, 06:57 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I don't think your facts are true, chuck. The reason is because guns are not very common here in Italy, and violent crime is quite low. We don't have school/mall shootings like in the States. The other day, I saw on the news that some guy in the US started shooting cars in an intersection. And the police killed him.

So the police continue to use the "do as we say, not as we do" approach. They kill criminals who kill. Therefore, in my book, they're both criminals. Why didn't they use stun guns? Tazers or whatever. After all, we're almost in 2012...

If we want society to change, the change needs to start with us. Aisi..

Peace,
brian
Why did they not use stun guns or tazers in a gun fight....do you really want me to answer that?

I really do not think you can compare Italy to America in a gun situation, and I'll counter your Italy low gun ='s low gun crime with Switzerland.

Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just goolge the crime rate in Switzerland.....and then get back with me....

But, if you're not gonna believe facts, then why are we even having this discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies