Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,470,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
That sounds absolutely horrendous.

This was in Iran?
Yes. Though it happens in other countries as well. I don't want to make this into a "hate on Iran" point because a lot of individual Iranians accept gay people or are gay themselves, but that doesn't mean there aren't complete nut-cases both in the population and also running the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Yeah, I heard about the sex-change solution. Iran is a very evil place.
The whole place isn't evil. The people making the rules are, though. Like most countries, the population is a mix of wonderful people, decent people, obnoxious people, and evil people. The government, like most countries, is run by complete nut-cases.

My point is just to show how much work needs to be done in terms of standing up for gay rights on the global scale. In the U.S., we tend to focus on gay marriage as the main issue related to gay rights. But there are gay people in other countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Uganda, and Jamaica that are facing far worse predicaments than not being able to get married. Maybe gay rights activists should be focusing their attention to gay people who are in need of establishing more basic rights like the right to life. I don't see anything unreasonable about decreasing or cutting off foreign aid to countries that violate human rights to such an extreme. And I definitely don't understand the arguments people have made in this thread about wasting money. No money is being wasted; by not giving to countries with such anti-gay politics, money will be saved.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,785,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The whole place isn't evil. The people making the rules are, though. Like most countries, the population is a mix of wonderful people, decent people, obnoxious people, and evil people. The government, like most countries, is run by complete nut-cases.
Oh I know, I'm more so referring to how the country is run and projects itself. The fact that it has some great people in it, doesn't change the fact that it's basically viewed as the one of the worst, most barbaric nations on the planet. Most attributable to its government, but until that changes, it will never be a place anyone wants to associate with.

Quote:
My point is just to show how much work needs to be done in terms of standing up for gay rights on the global scale. In the U.S., we tend to focus on gay marriage as the main issue related to gay rights. But there are gay people in other countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Uganda, and Jamaica that are facing far worse predicaments than not being able to get married. Maybe gay rights activists should be focusing their attention to gay people who are in need of establishing more basic rights like the right to life. I don't see anything unreasonable about decreasing or cutting off foreign aid to countries that violate human rights to such an extreme. And I definitely don't understand the arguments people have made in this thread about wasting money. No money is being wasted; by not giving to countries with such anti-gay politics, money will be saved.
I agree, although places like Nigeria may be shooting themselves in the foot, since if we cut off aid to them, they lose funding for AIDS research and treatment, which will obviously hurt a lot of people. It's kind of a lose lose situation there.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:52 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,574,384 times
Hasn't Human Rights always been a basis for US foreign aid? Why should it be different for Gays in foreign lands who are being victimized , criminalized and executed?
From Rick Perry.org:

“Just when you thought Barack Obama couldn’t get any more out of touch with America’s values, AP reports his administration wants to make foreign aid decisions based on gay rights. “This administration’s war on traditional American values must stop. “I have proposed a foreign aid budget that starts at zero. From that zero baseline, we will consider aid requests based solely on America’s national security interests. Promoting special rights for gays in foreign countries is not in America’s interests and not worth a dime of taxpayers’ money.

As for Rick Perry objecting to this and a afront to Christian American values? What would you expect from a Republican Texas goober like him who calls his ranch " N i g ger land"?

PS: We don't give foreign aid to IRAN!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,860,559 times
What is Obama's take on NAMBLA?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post

How is NAMBLA related to anything mentioned in this thread at all?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 PM

753 posts, read 843,866 times
Hillary's speech was great!

This is very important stuff. It will take the US to be a leader in this just like with supporting every other marginalized group. Kudos Obama!

#haterzbackoff

Old 12-06-2011, 09:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,574,384 times
Quote:
NAMBLA is a pedophile organization that has nothing to do with with the rights of Gays. I'm sorry that you are so dense that you can't distinguish the two but if you want to know about NAMBLA and adult men having sex with boys why don't you ask ex Republican Mark Foley or perhaps the coach of Penn State Sandusky?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,860,559 times
Hello. Sandusky is being persecuted here in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

How is NAMBLA related to anything mentioned in this thread at all?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:00 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,785,560 times
Quote:
Hello. Sandusky is being persecuted here in America.
I think you mean prosecuted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies